Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Can Blake Griffin Surpass TD?

Can't wait for the can James Harden surpass Kobe thread next

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    2007 at least? he was finals mvp in 2007. i do agree that his stats left a lot to be desired prior to that year - he still brought international experience like manu did though - and when the 2 formed with pop (and duncan) the rest was history.

i would say the spurs had their success with the twin towers prior to 2005, while manu and parker superseded the system post 2007. from 2005 - 2006, one could argue that it was a combination of things - but ive heard even THE BIGGEST duncan fans say that manu was arguably the spurs' best player in many series during the 2005 playoffs.
    Manu was legit - I don't think any rational Spur fan will argue that. Parker was trash for a good many years though. Not a great playmaker, inefficient scorer in the post-season. I didn't include 2007 because he wasn't even the 2nd best player on the team that year. Putting up numbers against Booby Gibson doesn't mean shit when he had mediocre series against the more relevant opponents in the Western Conference. Good playoff run but nothing amazing. Still waiting for Parker to have one complete playoff run. Duncan has a few(2003 being the most notable). Ginobili has 2005. Parker - nothing. 2013 was close but he choked hard in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    Manu was legit - I don't think any rational Spur fan will argue that. Parker was trash for a good many years though. Not a great playmaker, inefficient scorer in the post-season. I didn't include 2007 because he wasn't even the 2nd best player on the team that year. Putting up numbers against Booby Gibson doesn't mean shit when he had mediocre series against the more relevant opponents in the Western Conference. Good playoff run but nothing amazing. Still waiting for Parker to have one complete playoff run. Duncan has a few(2003 being the most notable). Ginobili has 2005. Parker - nothing. 2013 was close but he choked hard in the Finals.
    Yeah. Manu showed flashes in 2003 but didn't get the minutes. He was right there in 2004. He became a star in 2005. Parker didn't become one until at least 2007, like you said.

He was a shocking 2nd option in 02 and 03 (though he should have been a 3rd/4th option - the team just wasn't good enough). He was clearly not a top 2 Spur in 04; I personally thought Rasho, of all people, had more value than he did. Same story in 05. Absolutely shocking Finals (average GameScore of 5). Same story in 06. Pretty much the same story in 07 even though he improved.

Some people - the poster you responded to - would have you believe he was the best Spur in 07. It was clearly Timmy. What people don't remember is he wasn't even better than Manu that year.