Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Lord Of The Rings - Middle Earth Shadow Of Mordor

Anyone heard much about this? Due to release soon, had a quick scan and couldn't see a thread.

Looks like it could be fun, not talking epic like the last of us, but could definitely be a good time killer.

I'll be getting it.

Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leaYw-7Fgxg

Gameplay Footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8pkh_ba7A

Sunshine State

Default Re: Lord Of The Rings - Middle Earth Shadow Of Mordor

It looks awesome, definitely getting it.

This game looks dope, but they still can't make anything close to resembling a decent Game Of Thrones game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJF4cFILmB0

This is an hour + playthrough with the creators at Monolith.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    This game looks dope, but they still can't make anything close to resembling a decent Game Of Thrones game.
    I was actually thinking it while watching it that game of thrones is very similar with the local and outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    I was actually thinking it while watching it that game of thrones is very similar with the local and outfits.
    The nemesis system would be dope for GoT! Houses rising and falling, setting up puppet regimes to back your claim or some shit like that.

I'm really loving the fighting mechanics, the decapitations look especially sick

First reviews are out and it's pulling 9's.

Can't wait to get stuck into this game!

Definite GOTY candidate.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    First reviews are out and it's pulling 9's.

Can't wait to get stuck into this game!

Definite GOTY candidate.
    Surprising for me that it's getting good reviews! I thought it was an Assassin's Creed clone at first glance, which isn't a total bad thing, but it looks like to be more than that. I'm going to pick this up on the PC.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

This game was barely on my radar. I have no idea why, but from what little I had seen of it early on I thought this was gonna be some MMORG or something that I just wouldn't be into at all.

But they flooded football with advertising on it yesterday, and I've started looking into it, and looks pretty cool. I love the movement of Assassin's Creed, the combat of Batman, and the exploration and leveling of Skyrim, and this seems like it's got bits from all those. Plus it's apparently not overwhelminly big, which works better for me.

I'm also really intrigued by The Evil Within, from Res Evil creator, which is getting similar excellent but not quite great reviews. And the Alien Isolation game, which is getting similar press so far.

And weird thing is is that I haven't been playing much at all. I strolled through the beginning of Last of Us, but couldn't get back into it knowing everything already. Played a couple DL games. But beyond that it's been months really.

Now I've got these three games, plus Assassin's Creed right around the corner. I'm usually a pre-order type guy. I don't play a ton. A handfull of the real Triple A type titles a year. But this year has seemed slow, and now I'm looking at 4 maybe Two and Three Quarter A type games.

Banned

i want this

I picked mine up last night, but only played about fifteen minutes. Pretty much just did all the updating, and made it through the tutorial intro stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I picked mine up last night, but only played about fifteen minutes. Pretty much just did all the updating, and made it through the tutorial intro stuff.
    Is it really "Assassin's Creed: Mordor" like I keep hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Is it really "Assassin's Creed: Mordor" like I keep hearing?

Well I didn't get too into it. And the opening sequence was sort of a tutorial story setting bit.

But I can already see where the idea that this is a Tolkien-Skinned Assassin's Creed. There is the free running stuff. It goes faster but feels less natural in this. And there is already some similarities in the map. The regional map fleshed out by the use of forge tower (AC Viewpoint).

This has a much more complex leveling system, that they've tried to hurriedly tutorialize, but I need to give it some focus before I can really speak to it.

I also haven't played enough to gripe about it much, but I'd also say at this point it feels crazy how they just drop you into this hell world. There are bad guys everywhere and slaves working. There's nothing like the sort of safe havens AC has in it's world that to me make the exploring so interesting. Even in the just few minutes I played it just felt like it was a constant battle.

GameInformer had a "Tips for Beginners" article I read this morning that included the tip "Just Run", sort of implying that you don't have to fight every guy you come across, and you don't have to stealthily sneak around everyone, you can sort of just head toward your destination, which is good to know, because that was the sort of overwhelmingness I was feeling.

Game is shit. Last 2 bosses will die in 1 hit by just pressing X.