Default Ben Simmons is overrated...Lamar Odom 2

Won't be an NBA superstar, probably not even an all-star, but just a solid player. He plays just like Lamar Odom, but I actually think Odom was a better ball handler around the same age.

Banned

Default Re: Ben Simmons is overrated...Lamar Odom 2

Odom put up All-Star numbers in Miami, when his role reduced with Kobe, Pau, and Phil he made a name for himself as one of the best bench players in the league.

In fact, Prime Lamar Odom would be one of the best PFs in the league right now.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC
    Won't be an NBA superstar, probably not even an all-star, but just a solid player. He plays just like Lamar Odom, but I actually think Odom was a better ball handler around the same age.
    Lol, no chance at this being true

Decent college freshman

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Lol, no chance at this being true
    You have any idea how deep 4 & 5 were back in Lamar's prime? I mean, c'mon, if you're saying the frontcourt is at the best it has ever been, then I really don't know what to tell you, honestly. Hell, even Philly-Webber could average 22/11 for 30 games today.

& it shows a lot now, it's exactly why they changed the all-star starting lineup format -- being generalized to frontcourt & backcourt.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    You have any idea how deep 4 & 5 were back in Lamar's prime? I mean, c'mon, if you're saying the frontcourt is at the best it has ever been, then I really don't know what to tell you, honestly. Hell, even Philly-Webber could average 22/11 for 30 games today.

& it shows a lot now, it's exactly why they changed the all-star starting lineup format -- being generalized to frontcourt & backcourt.
    No idea what your point is

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    No idea what your point is
    I think he's saying that even if Ben Simmons "only" becomes Lamar Odom 2.0, he will still be the best PF in the game since there aren't any good PF's today and 2004 Lamar Odom would be the best PF today (if you consider Cousins a C, which i think he is)

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I have some similar concerns over Simmons' seeming lack of that take over mentality. I had the same concern with Wiggins, but it was more of a factor because it was going to have to be such a focul point of his game for him to be who was supposed to be.

With Simmons it doesn't worry me much though. If he develops a jumper and gets more aggressive, great. If not, he's about as well suited to be the second guy on a title team as anyone I can recall coming in.

I don't think Odom is a terrible comp by any means. But I'd predict Simmons to be a better rebounder and interior defender than Odom was, even if that means not being quite the ball handler.

Ben Simmons has a higher ceiling than a Lamar Odom type career...

And so did Lamar Odom, by the way.

The question with him is not potential, but whether he fulfills it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    I think he's saying that even if Ben Simmons "only" becomes Lamar Odom 2.0, he will still be the best PF in the game since there aren't any good PF's today and 2004 Lamar Odom would be the best PF today (if you consider Cousins a C, which i think he is)

hmm Lamar Odom has never been a top 10 PF in the league and wouldn't now either.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Well that's certainly moronic as PF is the 2nd deepest position in the league. Davis,Blake,Aldridge,Bosh,Love,Randolph,D.Green,Pa u,Ibaka,Favors,Horford,Milsap... That doesn't even get into young guys like Sullinger(top 25 player in the league by RPM), Olynyk, Porzingiz,Okafor,Harris and your POrtis,Lyles type.

and DMC plays PF. Their other top big men are WCS and Koufos, two pure Cs.

Odom shot 33% from 3 in college. He had a jumpshot.

Simmons doesn't have one. I don't even understand how a prospect without a jumper can be considered #1 in 2016 NBA. No jumper, sag off him all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Simmons doesn't have one. I don't even understand how a prospect without a jumper can be considered #1 in 2016 NBA. No jumper, sag off him all day long.
    You don't have to be a lights out shooter to be considered a #1 overall pick. Not to mention, a jumper is something you can fix. I mean, Kawhi Leonard was a 25% three point shooter at San Diego State. He's leading the entire league in 3P% as we speak. Blake Griffin came in and was just athletic. Look at him now, raining midrange jumpers for days. Would you pass on him if you had the chance? You wouldn't.

That said, I think Ben Simmons' best NBA comparison is Boris Diaw. Diaw was only a 23% 3P shooter his rookie year in Atlanta. 18% in his sophomore year, 27% in his third season, 33% in his fourth season - the same % Ben Simmons is shooting from down town right now. He - Diaw - is in the 40's now, although he doesn't attempt many.

What makes Diaw and Simmons great is their versatility. They can make plays at 6'10'', not only for themselves, but for their teammates as well, which isn't something you see on the daily.

It's his aggressiveness that's concerning, he needs to really want to be a stat patter like Lebron.