Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Riddler
Step 11

Default Quitting Smoking - Vivid Dreams explained

Man... quitting smoking is really f*cking with my mind right now... Just woke up from a nightmare, so I finally did some research on why this happens every time I quit... feels like a group of people came into my house and secretly performed Inception on me.

Vivid Dreams Explained - James O'Neill

Quote:
Vivid dreams are found to not be a side effect from stop smoking products. It has been discovered through research that it is part of the recovery process. The brain begins to repair itself and reverse damage caused from smoking. Neurobiologists have discovered that brain cells sprout new axons and nerve fibres during dream sleep. A chemical named serotonin in the brain triggers the brain to dream.

Smoking depletes serotonin production in the brain. When serotonin levels in the brain are balanced it creates a happy and contented state of mind. When serotonin levels are low a depressed and anxious state of mind is created. It is believed that smoking cigarettes can deplete serotonin levels by up to 50%. What compounds this problem is that the brain accepts the chemicals in a cigarette as a serotonin substitute on the basis that any chemical response is better than no chemical response at all. So therefore, when an individual stops smoking, serotonin production improves and the brain begins to compensate itself for lost serotonin production. The brain then produces more serotonin than needed, resulting in vivid dreams and nightmares. Research has shown that it takes the brain 3 weeks to regulate serotonin levels.

Further research suggests that with an increase in serotonin levels there must be an increase in oxygen levels too. When a person stops smoking, carbon monoxide no longer takes priority over oxygen on the red blood cells. As a result of this change, oxygen levels of the individual increase. More oxygen is carried around the body and to the brain. When the stop smoker sleeps there is a higher percentage of oxygen reaching the brain than when they where a smoker. This process helps promote a process called rapid eye movement (REM) while sleeping. REM is an important process in dream production along with serotonin production.

It is essential to reassure a client that the first three weeks of a quit attempt are crucial. Vivid dreams are all part and parcel of the recovery process and the pathway to a healthier life style. It is a positive symptom as it is the brains way of repairing itself and returning to a better deeper sleep.

not sure if anybody gives a f*ck, but I thought I'd go ahead and post this anyway.

And why is it that the most random people I've known in my life decide to show up in my dream? I haven't seen some of these people in over 15 years... how the f*ck did you show up in my subconscious?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
Riddler
Step 11

Default Re: Quitting Smoking - Vivid Dreams explained

This is great... Now I'm wide awake at 2:30am.

There's no way I can go back to sleep right now.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
joe
College superstar

I've experienced this while quitting. I had a dream I was trapped underneath a million ANTS in this muddy ditch. Just dirty disgusting insects covering me from head to toe. It felt so real, so vivid that I snapped awake and was jumping out of my blanket.

I wonder if it's the nicotine that causes the decreased serotonin levels, or other chemicals in cigarettes?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
And why is it that the most random people I've known in my life decide to show up in my dream? I haven't seen some of these people in over 15 years... how the f*ck did you show up in my subconscious?

I don't think just they show up, they were always there. Consciously you just forgot about them because they aren't in your day to day life, but subconsciously your brain probably activates those memories simply because it can.

Just thinking about it, dreaming is possibly your subconscious brain scanning memories first and your conscious brain overlaying a narrative to make sense of it all. In that way the people don't show up in the dream, but rather the dream forms around the activated memory of those people.

Last edited by miller-time : 01-15-2013 at 04:51 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Riddler
Step 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I wonder if it's the nicotine that causes the decreased serotonin levels, or other chemicals in cigarettes?

I guess it would probably be the chemicals since that article said that quitting smoking products don't create vivid dreams as a side effect. I'm using the nicotine gum right now.

but I wasn't even aware that cigarettes contributed to depression this much... depleting serotonin levels up to 50% seems like a $hit load.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
TylerOO
NBA rookie of the year

This probably sounds dumb but what is a vivid dream?

EDIT: Nvm after reading Joe's post I get it. Yea I have had them. I remember one night I was having a dream about like a tsunami hitting me and I woke up thought a tsunami was about the hit my room so I ran out and slammed the door and slept on the couch. The whole time I was in this weird state of mind. I'll never forget that

Last edited by TylerOO : 01-15-2013 at 04:58 AM.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
This probably sounds dumb but what is a vivid dream?

Google "vivid dream definition." It's 2013.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
TylerOO
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is He Ill
Google "vivid dream definition." It's 2013.

I did. Do you not see the edit?
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
I did. Do you not see the edit?

Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
Riddler
Step 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I don't think just they show up, they were always there. Consciously you just forgot about them because they aren't in your day to day life, but subconsciously your brain probably activates those memories simply because it can.

Just thinking about it, dreaming is possibly your subconscious brain scanning memories first and your conscious brain overlaying a narrative to make sense of it all. In that way the people don't show up in the dream, but rather the dream forms around the activated memory of those people.

And these random people are always the kids I knew in Jr.High or High School... I guess since I saw them everyday for a several years, they are embedded in my subconscious more than a person I only associated with for a few months.

Sure would be nice if my brain would activate the memories of the strippers I've gotten lap dances from instead of the kids I went to school with.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Stuckey
ifirtworld

I just had a vivid dream where I was trying to score coke, ended up disappointed though
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
LamarOdom
Banned

I've tried it, not fun started sweating and felt dizzy after 16-17 hours so I stopped trying, it's fukced up.
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Balla_Status

My dad told me the same thing when he quit. He didn't stop having those dreams until he was 40...although they were more intermittent. He quit around his low-mid 20s.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Is there a single organ in the human body that tobacco doesn't cause damage to?

It's amazing how bad that shit is...it is pure poison...and it doesn't even give you a high or anything, it makes you MORE anxious.

How did I ever fall for that shit when I was young?...peer pressure is powerful
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Is there a single organ in the human body that tobacco doesn't cause damage to?

It's amazing how bad that shit is...it is pure poison...and it doesn't even give you a high or anything, it makes you MORE anxious.

How did I ever fall for that shit when I was young?...peer pressure is powerful

Because you were cool.

I wish I was as cool as these kids when I was younger.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: