Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
ballinforkeeps
Banned

ballinforkeeps has an OK reputation so far
Default why wasnt donte a top pick?

6'11, makes is own shot, 3pt range, rebounds, ball handlling, etc. rashard lewis type player.

i know he has to get stronger and has a lotta flaws but they can be fixed easily. his long arms give him shot blockin too, i just saw him after he got beat off the dribble. man defense sucks but 1 year of college ball, he'll get better. dont forget he does have LONG ARMS
ballinforkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
ballinforkeeps
Banned

Default Re: why wasnt donte a top pick?

my guess would be his flaws are more severe than the top picks but still, look at wat he has NOW, as of TODAY.

extremly long 6'11 frame - knows how to use his length for defense and rebounding, but still needs to work on those 2

offensive threat - matchup nightmare mo matter who hes guarding. too big for sfs and too fast for pfs. can make his own shot, catch post entry passes, 17 foot jumper, 3pt shot. wat else more is there to do???

only negative about him is his defense. his man to man wont be that good but his long arms'll make up for it. but that can improve easily, rox have a good staff and shane and tmac can teach him how to be a lock down defender.

remember, im not sayin he will be those things his first season but the potential is there, like everyone else. why wasnt he a top 5 pick? tweeners arent cool anymore? right now, our potential future roster could be...

brooks
leunen
green
scola
a very good center

brooks can become a solid startin pg, after leunens european contract ends he'll be nba ready, yall konw about greeen and scola. and then a dope center who can man the paint. dont even mention the other rookies we'll draft/trade/sign/etc...

were not the only team w/ a potential bright future but we mos def wont be a lottery team anytime soon. go rox
Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

in draft night, i think they were talking about health issues... I THINK...
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
ballinforkeeps
Banned

alrite this is the clear analysis on Donte' Greene

SF/PF
6'11, 230 lbs (hes 222-226 right now but he'll bulk up before the season starts)

born feb 21, 1988, so hes 20 years old until NEXT feb in 2009

Positives

-extreme length for his natural position (sf). has speed too, so hes a matchup nightmare for anyone.

-versatile offense. has post moves, mid range jumper, make his own shot, makes off balance shots, 3pt range, move off the ball, ...only houston knows this(joke, i keed, remain calm)?

-hustle defense. uses his long arms to disrupt the passing lanes and block shots of corse.

Negatives

-small frame. hes long but not that big. needs to bulk up

-too small for pf. i dunno if he'll be used at pf but if he does he'll struggle. theyre too big. after the rookie wall his long arms will get tired.

-settles too much/forces shots, specially 3s. hes in love w/ the 3pt line. can be mroe physical and prolly will but right now he cant cuz of his body.

-quick/pressure defenders make him struggle. has to get used to playin vs guys bigger/faster than him.

-needs a tougher mentallity.

he can get rid of all his flaws easily. how is it impossible to add a few lbs, learn man defense, and start yellin on the court? cuz thats all he basically needs to do.

...but i dunno, is it hard to do those 3 things? i dont think it is but maybe im wrong. hes never at an disadvantage. if a pfs guardin him he'll beat him off the dribble, if a sfs on him he'll pound him in the paint or w/e he wants.

rashard lewis and chris bosh??? only if he wants to venture onto the power forward world of the nba too.

remember im not sayin he will easily be like rashard lewis, but if hes a hard worker he should be able to make a very good living in the nba.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

oh yeah i remember them talking about that. he has poor shot selection very poor. and a low basketball iq
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: