Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The overrating of Pau Gasol must stop

my problem with dirk is that he doesnt really have much of a post game, he'd have trouble if his shots aren't falling while gasol consistently shoots a high percentage (only under 50% for one year in career)

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    He is actually underrated. Statistically speaking last year he was the best player on the LAkers. He led the team in PER and Win Shares in the season and Win Shares in the playoffs. Which means he led in 3 of the 4 in the season and playoffs.
    In 2009 he led in Win Shares in the season, but Kobe led in both WS and PER in the playoffs, so Kobe led in 3 of the 4 that year.
    Overall underrated? Hell yeah. I remember LA fans bashing him after the 2008 finals, and even during the 09 season (although they won a ring at that point).

But right now? At least on ISH, he's pretty overrated. Things will calm down after a while. Just because he takes matter into hands on the Lakers right now (cause Phil is giving Kobe a bit more rest) doesn't mean he's more important or better than Kobe, which some people are claiming him to be. And he's also definitely not the best PF in the league.

€dit: No post game? You, sir, are terribly wrong.

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clutch Melo
    Dude is playing great , no doubt about that but when people are saying he is the best big in league is just And some are even saying he is the BEST PLAYER ON THE LAKERS.

Dirk has always and still is a better player than Gasol. Howard>Gasol too. Put Gasol on the Mavs and I guaranteeing you that they wont win 50 ++ games like the Mavs have done for a long time
    Dirk has a vag. He can't even post up Tony Parker. The only thing Dirk can do better is shoot. Dirk also famously linked to a few the greatest epic fails in sports. Losing to the Heat in the Finals and Warriors in the first round.

High School Varsity 6th Man GoldNugg21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueRob
    I'd rather have Pau Gasol than Dirk as my PF in most cases. I wouldn't even compare Dirk and Pau since Dirk plays more like a small forward anyway. I like Pau more because of his rebounding, especially offensive rebounds. Dirk can score, but so can a lot of players, it's harder to find someone that can grab a lot of rebounds. Odom and Gasol's rebounding is one of the main reasons why the Lakers are still undefeated.

While it's true that the LA frontcourts rebounding is one of the main reasons for their success, saying that its easier to find players who can rebound than ones who can score is just flawed. Just look at Shelden Williams for Denver this year. Vet's min, averaging over 9 boards a game in 26 minutes. He won't get minutes once more skilled players return from injuries, and is a career bench player. Given minutes, he pulls down boards. There's tons of guys like that floating around. Plenty of talented guys who can score too, but not with the same effectiveness as replacement rebounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Svendiggity
    I think Pau is hands down the best big man in the game. Dwight Howard can only score from a couple feet away, can't make teams pay at the foul line, can't pass that well, and turns the ball over quite a bit. Pau has no glaring flaws in his game anymore.

We all assume Pau won't continue to post the same numbers he's posting for the whole season, but if he does... he's the best big, period.

-Smak

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
    Dirk has a vag. He can't even post up Tony Parker. The only thing Dirk can do better is shoot. Dirk also famously linked to a few the greatest epic fails in sports. Losing to the Heat in the Finals and Warriors in the first round.

U mad?

The likes of you definitely don't deserve a well-researched answer, claiming that Dirk can't post up Tony Parker disqualifies you for any further discussion. Perhaps you're just another butthurt fan that is still mad at Dirk for sh*tting on Manu in the WCSFs.

Not a Laker fan, and have been really slow to comne around to the Gasol bandwagon.

But the fact is, he's the most complete big man in the game right now.

Gasol is not the best big man in the league. C'mon guys, I know he's a Laker but lets be real here.

Saying Gasol is the best big in the league when he's a 2nd option while Dirk has been leading his team to 50 wins and the playoffs every single season for pretty much a decade now is just a slap to the face to everything Dirk has done, and I'm a Spurs fan saying this.

I know Timmy is being taken out of the discussion here but Dirk is still in his prime. He just won a MVP like two years ago for Christ's sake.

And Howard > Gasol too.
    Last edited by JustinJDW; 11-08-2010 at 06:48 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease thejusman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    He is actually underrated. Statistically speaking last year he was the best player on the LAkers. He led the team in PER and Win Shares in the season and Win Shares in the playoffs. Which means he led in 3 of the 4 in the season and playoffs.
    In 2009 he led in Win Shares in the season, but Kobe led in both WS and PER in the playoffs, so Kobe led in 3 of the 4 that year.

Pau is very under-rated, especially by the people who claim Dirk is better.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    Gasol is not the best big man in the league. C'mon guys, I know he's a Laker but lets be real here.

Saying Gasol is the best big in the league when he is a 2nd option while Dirk has been leading his team to 50 wins and the playoffs every single season for pretty much a decade now is just a slap to the face to everything Dirk has done, and I'm a Spurs fan saying this.
    But we're talking about this year...

-Smak

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath

U mad?

The likes of you definitely don't deserve a well-researched answer, claiming that Dirk can't post up Tony Parker disqualifies you for any further discussion. Perhaps you're just another butthurt fan that is still mad at Dirk for sh*tting on Manu in the WCSFs.
    Hmm "Heidelberg Germany"...biased much? Bet you think D Hasselhoff is a good singer as well I'm not even a Spurs fan. Pau is right now a more skilled and well rounded player than Dirk ever was or will be. He's just about everything you would want in a big man. A little slight of frame but other than that Dirk has fallen behind. Pretty soon, Dirk will eat Pau's dust. It's just a matter of time.

Banned

The overrating of Pau Gasol must stop

or what?

he's the best big man in the league. although he's not the most skilled one, he's like a second coach on the court. Dude's got impressive basketball IQ to top all his skills

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    We all assume Pau won't continue to post the same numbers he's posting for the whole season, but if he does... he's the best big, period.

-Smak
    This. Coming into the year I had Howard\Dirk above him and that still stands because well it's been 6 games. Kobe's still the Lakers best player, because once again it's been 6 games.

If Gasol stays at this level for 40+ games than there's a conversation to be had. If he does it for 82 games and carries it on to the post season than we have our answer.