Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Guy starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

What would you guys do if this happened to you?

I am 5'10 145 pounds and skinny (not a big dude as u can tell here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfKmk5fZek ) and this guy is 6'2 220 lbs of muscle. We played 5 on 5 full court game and he was on my team and we won the first game 23-21.
    (First to 16 wins but u have to win by 2 points and every score is 1 point).

He was yelling at me a lot during the game and we came from behind to win. He screwed up with stupid turnovers and he even led a fast break and passed the ball so hard to me that it went right through my legs once.

In the rematch, I think my whole team was so gassed and tired and the other team had 2 fresh guys so we lost by a lot and after the game, my teammate starts to yell and scream at me in front of the 8 other guys.

I was cool with him yelling at me during the first game because we won and I know how guys can get emotional and I don't take it personally even though I'm the quiet type who won't yell at others or talk back much.

He kept on ranting at me about being more physical on defense even though I didn't cost us the game and he was not that good in the game either.

I got mad so I said "**** u" back to him which shocked everyone and then 10 minutes later, he came back into the gym and tried to apologize and talk to me. He said he was a loser and asshole and has anger issues when he plays basketball sometimes. The thing I don't like is he yells and bullies me when he could have yelled at the bigger guys on my team.

I accepted his apology and we were cool after that but I don't think I should have. Actions speak louder than words and I think his true colors were revealed.

We were good "gym friends" for over 3 years and always cordial and say whats up and have 5 min conversations over the years but now I don't think I want to deal with this guy anymore for being so disrespectful and a immature guy. He's 25.

What would u guys have done and reacted? The guy that I was guarding in the games told me the guy is suck a prick for yelling at me and that I played good D on him and two other guys pulled me over and told me he was wrong too.
    Last edited by mobbdeep; 03-21-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Guy on my team starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

You did right. You accepted the apology even though i know you didn't want to. Were men and no need to hold grudges, he wasn't right for yelling and being emotional at all and I would 100% check that at the door next time it happens, because it is just a pickup game . But that's how you know whose a good player, people who can only do for themselves get mad when other people cant do what they do, and fail to recognize there own faults in the process

Good players recognize someones weaknesses and only try to make the teammates strengths stronger. People are going to play harder for you when you not tearing them down. Its ok to let some1 know they f'n up, but no need to belittle anyone.

Default Re: Guy on my team starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    You did right. You accepted the apology even though i know you didn't want to. Were men and no need to hold grudges, he wasn't right for yelling and being emotional at all and I would 100% check that at the door next time it happens, because it is just a pickup game . But that's how you know whose a good player, people who can only do for themselves get mad when other people cant do what they do, and fail to recognize there own faults in the process

Good players recognize someones weaknesses and only try to make the teammates strengths stronger. People are going to play harder for you when you not tearing them down. Its ok to let some1 know they f'n up, but no need to belittle anyone.

Yea he fails to blame himself and recognize his own faults. I made mistakes in passing him the ball on the perimeter when he is only good at inside shots in the paint with his wide body and strength.

he tried to belittle me in front of everyone. What a coward. He's so much bigger than me.

Whenever guys mess up, I just give them a pat or hi five them so they know it's all good and not worry about it. I hate it when guys miss a jumper or shot and then get mad and don't get back on D.

I don't even mind criticism if I really do mess up but since his yelling wasn't even warranted, that really annoyed me lol.

It's like Chris Duhon screaming at Kobe or Chris Anderson screaming at LeBron.

You should have said what was on your mind at the time. "Really dude? Over a pickup game?" and walked away. Maybe sarcastically call him "tough guy" over your shoulder...he's not risking arrest by hitting you

I think at this point it would be sort of a (for lack of a better term) feminine characteristic to just start ignoring him after you supposedly patched things up. If he doesn't do it again, his apology might have been sincere. If he does, just laugh at him and walk away. Everyone else has your back.

I agree with the above posts.Who knows, maybe he was just having a bad day.

The Answer

Throw the ball at his face. Who's get mad at losing in a pickup game? It's not even a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    You should have said what was on your mind at the time. "Really dude? Over a pickup game?" and walked away. Maybe sarcastically call him "tough guy" over your shoulder...he's not risking arrest by hitting you

I think at this point it would be sort of a (for lack of a better term) feminine characteristic to just start ignoring him after you supposedly patched things up. If he doesn't do it again, his apology might have been sincere. If he does, just laugh at him and walk away. Everyone else has your back.
    Lol yea I was going to call him "Tough Guy" actually. Since he has a bad temper and can be volatile, I would not put it pass him to try to get violent on me. You never know with these guys.

Could be roid rage or a bad temper. The thing is, he is a very nice guy off the court.

Well I won't talk to him much if at all. There's no need to. I don't like apologies sincere or insincere. It doesn't do anything for me and it just makes him feel better and not me. I have thick skin, I don't care what an idiot has to say.

If I respected him and he was a good player, I would understand perhaps but I am the one that should be yelling at his ass haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I agree with the above posts.Who knows, maybe he was just having a bad day.
    no he was not having a bad day. He was just upset we lost the 2nd game. He should have been happy we won the first game! It could be roid rage though since he is muscular and big.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB_Junior
    Throw the ball at his face. Who's get mad at losing in a pickup game? It's not even a real game.

Who gets mad during a pick up game? Well at my gym, like everyone does!!!!

It's a pride thing I guess. U got teen punks, and adults in 20s and 30s and 40s and even 60s with their old man game and everyone is competitive and the teen punks want to show off and take hero shots and ball hog.

I'm not a violent person so I won't throw the ball at his face or be the first one to attack. There's no need to fight. I've been in many fights back in the day when I was younger due to attempted robberies and what not and violence isn't the answer.

I'm the best passer and have the highest b ball IQ at the gym but these guys never appreciate me feeding them the ball and see passing as a sign of weakness which is just ridiculous.

I've decided to stop playing pick up ball after this because it's no fun no more. All I get is aggravation and pain. This happened on Monday and last Friday, some guy smash my groin so hard while trying to smack the ball from me as I dribbled up the court.

So yes, its either physical or verbal abuse and I'm content shooting jumpers all day by myself instead. I won't miss the cheap shots, the stupid ball hogs, the yelling and screaming and cheaters lying about the score.

The only thing I will miss is passing since I love getting assists and driving and kicking and making passes to a cutter.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Switch teams mid game and beat his ass!

Quote Originally Posted by devin112
    Switch teams mid game and beat his ass!

That's what I want next time. For him to be on the other team but it won't happen most likely. I don't think it will happen soon.

He works out at the gym more than he plays basketball and even if he was on my team again, I would never pass to his ass and freeze him out.

The Answer

How old is the guy. If that guy is over the age of 30. You need to tell him to act like a grown man.
    Last edited by GOBB_Junior; 03-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB_Junior
    How old is the guy. If that guy is over the age of 30. You need to tell him to act like a grown man.
    He is 25. Everyone likes him at the gym. The girls like him because of his muscles and the guys like him too. I have no respect for him anymore.

It is one thing to yell at a guy your own size or bigger than u but to yell at a little guy like me , it's just cowardly.

honestly, basketball is a sport where, if you are a generally temperamental, your emotions can get the better of you very easily. 1) because basketball is a very physically and mentally taxing sport sometimes, especially in really competitive games and 2) people like this tend not to see their own faults until they've calmed down/stopped playing so they generally will try to find what everyone else is doing wrong.

Every one has bad days. The fact he apologized leads me to believe it was just that. I run with my boys and we get into arguments ALL THE TIME. But the fact of the matter is once we step outside of those lines we know that, if we went to far, we should be man enough to own that. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to accept an apology, just something to think about.

If it's just some guy you know from playing at that gym for a while and you don't know him that well, a hearty f*ck you always makes me feel better

Default Re: Guy starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

Quote Originally Posted by mobbdeep
    What would you guys do if this happened to you?

I am 5'10 145 pounds and skinny (not a big dude as u can tell here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfKmk5fZek ) and this guy is 6'2 220 lbs of muscle. We played 5 on 5 full court game and he was on my team and we won the first game 23-21.
    (First to 16 wins but u have to win by 2 points and every score is 1 point).

He was yelling at me a lot during the game and we came from behind to win. He screwed up with stupid turnovers and he even led a fast break and passed the ball so hard to me that it went right through my legs once.

In the rematch, I think my whole team was so gassed and tired and the other team had 2 fresh guys so we lost by a lot and after the game, my teammate starts to yell and scream at me in front of the 8 other guys.

I was cool with him yelling at me during the first game because we won and I know how guys can get emotional and I don't take it personally even though I'm the quiet type who won't yell at others or talk back much.

He kept on ranting at me about being more physical on defense even though I didn't cost us the game and he was not that good in the game either.

I got mad so I said "**** u" back to him which shocked everyone and then 10 minutes later, he came back into the gym and tried to apologize and talk to me. He said he was a loser and asshole and has anger issues when he plays basketball sometimes. The thing I don't like is he yells and bullies me when he could have yelled at the bigger guys on my team.

I accepted his apology and we were cool after that but I don't think I should have. Actions speak louder than words and I think his true colors were revealed.

We were good "gym friends" for over 3 years and always cordial and say whats up and have 5 min conversations over the years but now I don't think I want to deal with this guy anymore for being so disrespectful and a immature guy. He's 25.

What would u guys have done and reacted? The guy that I was guarding in the games told me the guy is suck a prick for yelling at me and that I played good D on him and two other guys pulled me over and told me he was wrong too.
    If you balled for 3 years and nothing happened then it happened once, then I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if he apologized. Maybe he felt closer to you and thus more able to express his disappointment.

I have a complex about people blaming me for shit that isn't my fault, too, but I would let this one go.

-Smak