Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Raptor - Hornet Trade

lol did it again....oh well I don't like this trade anyway

My guess is this gets New Orleans under luxury tax, which is a huge financial swing.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

The Hornets save around 11 million counting tax ramifications and they got the best player in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    My guess is this gets New Orleans under luxury tax, which is a huge financial swing.
    they already were. This just gets them further under it.

Jack has looked good this year, nice back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    they already were. This just gets them further under it.
    Says Hornets are over $71 million in payroll now, which is over luxury. Luxury is $70.3 for this year.

WHAT THE ****!!!

BAYLESS WAS ON THE HORNETS!?!? THE BLAZERS TRADED HIM! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW! WHEN THE HELL DID THAT SHIT HAPPEN! THAT KID WAS A BEAST!

Banned

You couldn't have conjured up a more pointless, nonsensical trade if you were toying around with random players on ESPN Trade Machine. Aside from the financial aspect of this it's a wash.

Peja, despite his reoccurring health issues, is still a threat from the perimeter. He's slowed way down which has had its obvious adverse affects on his defense but he's one of the purest shooters in the league and NOH gives him up like he's nothing. If they go deep in the playoffs they're going to regret letting him go.

NOH acquires Bayless... only to dish him off to Toronto weeks later? Does this kid have an attitude problem that we aren't aware of? His upside is HUGE and I was shocked that Portland even gave him up. He's going to be starting for a team by 2012.

Getting Jack is decent... but still, why? Because Paul wanted one of his pals on the team?

The Hornets are messing with a team that clearly is firing on all cylinders and ready to contend. Instead of taking on players of this ilk they should use their resources to snag a solid veteran at the trade deadline. Maybe a Michael Redd or someone along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    WHAT THE ****!!!

BAYLESS WAS ON THE HORNETS!?!? THE BLAZERS TRADED HIM! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW! WHEN THE HELL DID THAT SHIT HAPPEN! THAT KID WAS A BEAST!

Heat fan since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Says Hornets are over $71 million in payroll now, which is over luxury. Luxury is $70.3 for this year.
    Do you know how much were they over the luxury before this trade was made?

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    The Hornets save around 11 million counting tax ramifications and they got the best player in the deal.
    I didn't know the Hornets save that much money from this deal...It wasn't such a confusing trade after all.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Jack has looked good this year, nice back-up.
    Lol, J.Jack has been absolute shit this year. He is getting outplayed by calderon

what a waste of an expiring contract, they sure could do better than that

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    When did I say Ariza didn't produce? What I said was that Marco is the best addition to the team. I will concede that, at the very least, he's helping the team as much as Ariza, and that's still a bad sign for the Ariza trade.

And that's my problem. You don't make that trade for a defensive role player who can occasionally spot up for 3.

I am a hornet fan. And this trade does make sense, which is why I'm pissed. They wouldn't have had to go searching for a PG if they didn't do the Ariza deal in the first place. Now, they are looking for anybody who can come off the bench to replace Paul and produce, because Bayless can't. And now they will try to see if Jack will be able to do it. I'm not against this trade. I'm just pissed that they put themselves in this position to have to do this deal in the first place. IMO, they would have been in a better position if the Ariza deal never happened.

They would have had Collison off the bench, Thornton and Quincy will have played more minutes, Marco would still be balling, and they could have used Peja's deal to get a better wing or big upgrade.
    my apologies, you're right, you didnt say that. but how is it a bad sign if they are helping out the same amount? we arent trying to make ariza anything he isnt. ditto with belly. ariza isnt a superstar, to me hes not even a bonafide star, but he IS A DEFENSIVE SUPERSTAR. and ill take that. you make the collison trade every single time. collison would have been a good back up pg, but the GLARING hole in the hornets was their lack of wing players. we solved that by shipping out a good back up pg, for one of the best defensive/athletic wing players in the league. granted ariza cant create for himself and isnt consistent from mid range, but with cp3, he doesnt need to do that. all he has to do is spot up on offense, and go nuts on defense. again, you make that trade every day of the week, especially when defense is the mindset of the organization. as monty has said, "defense is non negotiable"

you're right, you wouldnt have to go searching for a back up pg if you didnt do the ariza deal, but you would be searching for the answer at the 2/3. you would still be searching for that elite defender, the one that can slow down the wades, anthonys, etc. the hornets addressed their need. you dont need a remarkable back up pg when you have cp3 on the team. you do need athletic defenders however. steals and turnovers by the opposition are a huge reason this team is 10-1. you can thank ariza and paul for that.

another thing, dont you think our GM and head coach were trying to swing something better? isnt it possible they know something we dont? dell said he would evaluate this team every 10 games, and see what needs to be done. he saw that we needed stability in the backcourt for our bench, and addressed that need. we were blowing teams out, but our bench was letting them back in off of poor shot selection and turnovers, all of which can be solved with a true backup pg, and we now have that in jack.

It's not that bad of a deal for NOH.

Peja is done, period. He might be able to hit some 3's, but he can't guard a tree.

Jack will fit well in NOH, and is good enough to give Paul some real rest during games.

Bayless is overrated. He's a tweener who will never start at the 1 or 2 on a good team. Lacks to IQ and vision to play the 1, lacks the size and shooting to play the 2. There is reason teams are willing to let him go.

All that said, I think NOH could have got more for Pejas contract. Especially if they were willing to throw in Bayless.