Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #46
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Need some help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
I definately think that 2 leg jumpers have great power and explosion ability, I think persoanlly that 1 leg jumpers may be able to get higher on a jump due using momentum to get in the air. I also think that would be hard to assess due to different peoples strength, their height and such.

yeah i was taught 2 leg jumpers use the power that they have in their body, and 1 leg jumper use more of the leaping ability in their body I could be wrong though.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #47
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
yeah i was taught 2 leg jumpers use the power that they have in their body, and 1 leg jumper use more of the leaping ability in their body I could be wrong though.

WEll, I guess one way to look at it is the High Jump. Try reaching record hieghts off two legs and over the bar? I don't think it would happen.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #48
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
WEll, I guess one way to look at it is the High Jump. Try reaching record hieghts off two legs and over the bar? I don't think it would happen.

Certainly not there would be no way somebody get enough momentum and contort their body like that. Guys that jump high with one leg.... that is just natural... it has to be cus way to many skinny guys who can't squat crap that can fly. All they do is ball and they can str8 fly. Muscle fibers, tendon strength, and flexibly... or something lol.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #49
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Certainly not there would be no way somebody get enough momentum and contort their body like that. Guys that jump high with one leg.... that is just natural... it has to be cus way to many skinny guys who can't squat crap that can fly. All they do is ball and they can str8 fly. Muscle fibers, tendon strength, and flexibly... or something lol.

lol, ok, well here is another one, dunking from the free throw line?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #50
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
lol, ok, well here is another one, dunking from the free throw line?
It is extremely hard to dunk from the free throw line using 2 legs. The reason i think is that 1 leg jumpers use more of their fast twitch muscles to get up there. Even though they jump really high they still have a lot of forward momentum. You do not easily create forward momentum using 2 legs. There is much more explosive power used to push you into the air.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #51
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
It is extremely hard to dunk from the free throw line using 2 legs. The reason i think is that 1 leg jumpers use more of their fast twitch muscles to get up there. Even though they jump really high they still have a lot of forward momentum. You do not easily create forward momentum using 2 legs. There is much more explosive power used to push you into the air.

Oh, no doubt I think it would be impossible to go with 2 legs from the foul line. Just a friendly discussion on the two points that the jumpers for height and distance both go off of one leg versus two.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #52
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

I think if you leaned like Jordan.... you were like 7'0 with a 43" vert... you might be able to get it off 2.

That's not asking much
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #53
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

How exactly could you train yourself to become better at being a quick leaper? I'm mainly a two foot jumper and I have a decent vert (about 30) but it takes me a while to get up there.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #54
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
How exactly could you train yourself to become better at being a quick leaper? I'm mainly a two foot jumper and I have a decent vert (about 30) but it takes me a while to get up there.

Reactive exericses like plyometrics. Upon saying that, I assume you have a good base of strength and experience with weights. If just starting out with plyos, work your way up and remember more is not better. Also, jump rope and sprinting.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #55
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Reactive exericses like plyometrics. Upon saying that, I assume you have a good base of strength and experience with weights. If just starting out with plyos, work your way up and remember more is not better. Also, jump rope and sprinting.

Alright thanks. I haven't been lifting for a very long time, but probably about 3 months and still do twice a week.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #56
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How is the body Swagg'?
My flight time has been delayed
Have had some knee pain, so I am resting my legs instead of doing too much.
I am thinking about taking 1 1/2 weeks off (no squats, deadlifts etc.)
should I start doing more upperbody training in those weeks?

I thought I'd focus on upper body/core/flexibility
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #57
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

What do you think?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #58
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea just rest the knee until it feels better... most people are going to get knee pain when trying to increase vert so that is normal... usually takes a couple weeks to heal (that's been my experience). I would recommend wearing a brace when you workout it really helps (just a simple one from CVS, Rite Aid, Wal-Mart, etc... like 20 bucks or so). Once you heal up... if you start getting knee pain again then I would change your workout and lighten the load. You won't get optimal results if you are always injured. I've learned that the hard way.

Yea just focus on the things you can do. Core, Upperbody... riding the bike should help. If you don't feel any pain then I would ride the bike a few times a week until your knee heals but it's up to you.

My flightime is beyond delayed... it's postponed indefinitely My legs are really starting to shrink and muscle definition is about half of what it used to be... it sucks but I can't do shit about it. Hamstrings are still pretty shot... I hope I'm not like this for the rest of my life... it already feels like a lifetime has passed since I first hurt them. I'm just trying to get my shot up tho in the meantime and develope some old man game . I'm going to start swimming more... that seems to help a bit whenever I do it. Trial and error at this point man... I'm not even disappointing anymore. It's a lot of a little of and some of Hopefully soon I will be
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #59
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea just rest the knee until it feels better... most people are going to get knee pain when trying to increase vert so that is normal... usually takes a couple weeks to heal (that's been my experience). I would recommend wearing a brace when you workout it really helps (just a simple one from CVS, Rite Aid, Wal-Mart, etc... like 20 bucks or so). Once you heal up... if you start getting knee pain again then I would change your workout and lighten the load. You won't get optimal results if you are always injured. I've learned that the hard way.

Yea just focus on the things you can do. Core, Upperbody... riding the bike should help. If you don't feel any pain then I would ride the bike a few times a week until your knee heals but it's up to you.

My flightime is beyond delayed... it's postponed indefinitely My legs are really starting to shrink and muscle definition is about half of what it used to be... it sucks but I can't do shit about it. Hamstrings are still pretty shot... I hope I'm not like this for the rest of my life... it already feels like a lifetime has passed since I first hurt them. I'm just trying to get my shot up tho in the meantime and develope some old man game . I'm going to start swimming more... that seems to help a bit whenever I do it. Trial and error at this point man... I'm not even disappointing anymore. It's a lot of a little of and some of Hopefully soon I will be

I LOL'd real hard.
I would rather not wear any brace because I might feel uncomfortable without it once I am at 100% again.
But yeah, I will rest my body just for sure. And I will start slowly and do a bit every week.

Luckily resting my body will allow the muscles to grow so I might see a slight difference in a couple of weeks. Have seen it improve a lot since I started doing the explosive training. I am a lot stronger too.
I am using the explosive training for my upper body as well. Plyometric pushups, fast bench pressing etc.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #60
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea usually if I rest a couple weeks with legs it's kind of hit or miss whether I increase or decrease.

Keep it tho man. Get your sleep and you should recover much faster... try to get 9 or 10 if you can. I heard somewhere that your prime healing hours are between 12am-2am... but I don't know if that goes for every person and takes sleeping habits into account... but hey can't hurt right?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: