Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #16
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: what are your thoughts about homeless people?

I call them hobo's, vagabonds, vagrants, or a tramp. I don't really use the term homeless, but it does apply to some people. I was without a real home for a few weeks when I was in the 8th grade. A majority of these people are either mentally ill or drug dependent. I feel bad for the mentally ill and children. I know that some of these people have been basically abandoned by their loved ones if they had any. The drug addicts I don't care for. There are people that are just down on their luck and have lost everything, but these people normally don't stay "homeless" long.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
why show compassion towards them? arent they just regular people? isnt the fact that by moral default we show compassion for them makes our understanding of them as lesser people?and that were better so we should show compassion? and by doing so does them a disservice more than a good deed?

Meant extra compassion.

Because they are not in a stable situation. And extra care at least helps people feel a bit better through turbulence.

You word your questions in a way that implies some strange premises. I was wrong to say homeless people are better than the housed... I take that back
They are not in a category of their own separate from us.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
Manny98
Good college starter

I hate homeless people

They smell

They're annoying constantly begging for money

A lot of them are ungrateful af if you give them below a certain amount

They use the change that they get on ****ing drugs

They contaminate the streets with their disgusting smell

They're lazy
Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

How are you supposed to know what led to someone's circumstances if you don't know them at all? Things like drug addiction and insanity are no doubt much more common in the homeless but I don't have to judge them so I don't. I get annoyed when they want to stand in front of my car and beg and rarely give a beggar anything but there's no point in prejudging. My attitude is sort of like benign apathy...not quite apathy because I hope their situation improves but I'm not doing much to help.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #20
ScalsFan21
Atkinson Fam Head

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/30/576409...s-than-to-keep
ScalsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #21
catzhernandez
Underrated

They get me everytime I walk past one. Every goddamn time. I can't say no. When I'm light on cash I'm crossing back and forth on the street to avoid em like it's ****ing Frogger.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #22
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

A friend and I were driving around one day and near the mall in our area we get a lot of pan handlers that sit on the side of busy highways holding signs asking for money.

This one guy had one that said he was a vet, and was wanting money. We pull up alongside of him and my friend seriously asks him. "If you can tell me your unit and what years you served I'll give you $20 and take you out to lunch for your service."

The man responded with, "Fuck you." And walked away to another car.

When I lived in Cincinnati I would offer people I saw regularly lunch, and they would turn it down almost 100% of the time.

Unfortunately most homeless people I've encountered in my life just want money to spend on drugs and alcohol.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #23
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

I've had some funny reactions. Dudes never give me shit anymore. Haha.

Nah, but I remember giving this homeless guy a twenty and he was like shit I'm outta here. That killed me. I think a lot of people standing under bridges with signs are legit not homeless. The people laying around prol are. Notice it's always men. Stand up for your fellow man.

What he does with the money means nothing when you gave him the opportunity to do the right thing. Member Dat. You're not enabling them you're giving them an opportunity.

Another time a girl came up to me in a coffee shop prol wanting cigarettes or some drugs and she was like I need money to... Buy a latte. Haha I was like o OK how much and she's like uhhh 5.50 or something. So I had this huge ass bag of change I used for parking meters that I kept in my bag. I was like I got u. Her face was priceless.

Prol told these stories before but wutevr.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: