Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Shaq would take prime kobe over prime Lebron

Well Lebron need more spacing, due to his style, and thats something Shaq couldn't give for obvious reasons.

So Kobe fit better, despite LJ being a better player IMO.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Shaq basically stating the obvious. Kobe's proven more, and at this stage, can be trusted more too.

I have Kobe @ 8 or 9 all-time. LeBron is right there w/ Hakeem at 10 or 11.
    I agree with this. Lebron has a chance though to move up to #7 POSSIBLY #6.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku

The best part is Shaq didn't even play with peak Kobe.
    Shaq played with an 18-25 year old Kobe. He played with a 25 year old LeBron for 1 season. So he didn't get to see either player's peak. And who he picked doesn't say much of anything. He played with Kobe for 8 seasons and won 3 championships with him. He's not going to pick a guy he played with for 1 season over him. Players are always more loyal to the guy they played with and Shaq kinda admits to as much himself
    "I played with both of them," O'Neal said. "You know, Kobe has that killer instinct. And I'd probably have to go with Kobe. That's not a knock against LeBron. It's just that I know Kobe and I played with him longer. I've seen what he can do."
    Shaq's a huge believer in LeBron, btw. His last autobiography, Shaq Uncut, came right after the 2011 Finals when LeBron's stock was at an all time low. Shaq talks about all 4 perimeter superstars he played with in it - Penny, Kobe, Wade and LeBron. When he gets to LeBron, I was completely taken aback by how assured Shaq was in his greatness. He feigned some mild disappointment/surprise over LeBron's 2011 collapse, but saw no detrimental shortcomings in his game that would prevent him from winning in the future. And it would've been very easy to do so too considering the 2011 finals had just concluded. In fact, he basically talked about the same things he did today - that LeBron does have a killer instinct, can and absolutely will take over a game if necessary, and that he was the smartest of 'em all - someone who had already figured everything out about the game. I was totally taken aback by how much he believed in LeBron.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 06-01-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Well Kobe did lead him to a 3 peat. LeBald led him to playoff exits and then bolted to another team .

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Shaq basically stating the obvious. Kobe's proven more, and at this stage, can be trusted more too.

I have Kobe @ 8 or 9 all-time. LeBron is right there w/ Hakeem at 10 or 11.
    Sounds about right.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    Well Kobe did lead him to a 3 peat. LeBald led him to playoff exits and then bolted to another team .
    Exits? Plural?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

This really says a lot considering Shaq still hates Kobe.
    Besides Kobe has 5 rings to Lebron's only 2.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rzp
    Well Lebron need more spacing, due to his style, and thats something Shaq couldn't give for obvious reasons.

So Kobe fit better, despite LJ being a better player IMO.
    This wasn't a question of fit, or who he would rather play with. He was answering who's better, and he chose Kobe.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    of course he would....Prime Kobe was the better player...

that's like asking if Horace Grant would take Prime Shaq or Prime MJ.....

I'm sure he would pick MJ 10 outta 10 times..

Lol.. U wish he was..

College superstar

What Shaq is trying to say in this interview is that he values players who can rely on themselves.

He responded to the question of MJ or Lebron by saying that Mike is like Kobe in that they both have the drive and initiative to get it done and that you need someone like that on the team to players can play off them when it's needed and elevate their greatness.

With Lebron, it's like his teammates are extensions of himself or tools. They need to make cuts and get to their spots. With MJ and Kobe, they let other players do their thing. Kobe never made Pau a role player and always fed Pau the ball in the post because that's Pau's strength. MJ let Scottie be the primary ball handler and facilitator, something MJ was accustomed to being.

With Lebron, he makes his teammates extensions of his game. Look what Kyrie, Love, Wade, and Bosh were all capable of before playing with Lebron. Look at their numbers while playing with Lebron. Watch games from how they were accustomed to playing before and what they were asked to do while playing with Lebron.

Lebron's style works, don't get me wrong. He won two titles with it. It's the same style that Magic plays with. It's just preference.

Shaq is old school and can cut through all the media hype. He's just speaking the truth. LeBron is good. Kobe is better.

Who am I to question Shaq viewpoint he played with both I agree with him I would take prime Kobe over Lebron but I have no problem with anyone picking Lebron, he has a case.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

I like both players. Prime Kobe was a beast. Prime Lebron was/is a beast. pick your poison.

What I found most interesting is O'Neil really making the point that Lebron is really smart. Because I think Lebron is very, very smart.