Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Beno Udrih inexplicably agrees to buy-out; prepare for a major shitstorm

"Yet, Udrih forfeited a portion of that money in a buyout — which presumably gets the Heat below the luxury-tax line after signing Joe Johnson.

"Several NBA teams are upset by an unusual agreement between the Miami Heat and veteran guard Beno Udrih that will get the team out of paying the luxury tax, sources told ESPN.com."

Other teams ought to be upset.

Miami now figures to avoid paying the tax (though it would’ve been a small amount), receive a portion of tax payments distributed to non-taxpaying teams and escape repeater penalties for the next few years.

And what does Udrih get for that? At face value, nothing except less money.

If you think teams are upset now, just wait until Udrih signs an above-market contract with the Heat this summer.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/...medium=twitter

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Beno Udrih inexplicably agrees to buy-out; prepare for a major shitstorm

All I see is LeBron/Cavs stans mad as FVCK Riley stole Joe Johnson, avoided the luxury tax this season , and the repeater tax in the future, as the clock will reset.

What. A. Time.
    Last edited by PJR; 03-01-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin

OG

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    All I see is LeBron/Cavs stans mad as FVCK Riley stole Joe Johnson, avoided the luxury tax this season , and the repeater tax in the future, as the clock will reset.

What. A. Time.
    Joe Johnson is certainly not the issue. He has the same chances of winning a title in Miami as he had in Brooklyn and that's just the long and short of it.

Cleveland is not the issue, because we have our own issues to worry about that I'd be happy to elaborate upon.

This is a fascinating story to me and I really could not believe my eyes when I read that he agreed to a buy-out. Really, it speaks for itself. What happens behind the scenes in the NBA is something I'm always interested in finding out.

If it happened in Milwaukee or Detroit or Washington, I'd have exactly the same reaction. Believe what you will, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Joe Johnson is certainly not the issue. He has the same chances of winning a title in Miami as he had in Brooklyn and that's just the long and short of it.
    Bullshit.

Good High School Starter Crimsonrain777's Avatar

there seems to be alot of wishful thinking in this thread

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Come on, RBA, you know that's not true. First, just the fact that the Heat will almost certainly be in the playoffs gives them a chance. Realistically, are they going to win it all? No. But, it's within an ever-so-slim realm of possibility. Miami matches up well against both GSW and OKC. And with the addition of JJ and Deng moving to PF, it's at least a better matchup now against the Spurs than it was.

In the East, from my vantage point, the Cavs are poised to implode. There may not be enough competition in the East to make it happen (I wish the Bulls weren't imploding themselves), and it's possible CLE makes it out of the East and pulls it together to beat a beaten up WC champ, if the WC playoffs end up being all-out war. But, the Heat are one of three teams that could conceivably take Cleveland out, the others being the Raps and Celtics (and I'd rather face the Cavs than either of those teams).

....Re: Udrih-- you're right, on its face, the decision makes no sense for him, but I think he might be assuming nobody is going to pick him up because of his injury and once he clears waivers, he can eventually resign with Miami. I don't see any impropriety if that's the case.
    Last edited by jrong; 03-02-2016 at 11:38 PM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    Come on, RBA, you know that's not true. First, just the fact that the Heat will almost certainly be in the playoffs gives them a chance. Realistically, are they going to win it all? No. But, it's within an ever-so-slim realm of possibility. Miami matches up well against both GSW and OKC. And with the addition of JJ and Deng moving to PF, it's at least a better matchup now against the Spurs than it was.

In the East, from my vantage point, the Cavs are poised to implode. There may not be enough competition in the East to make it happen (I wish the Bulls weren't imploding themselves), and it's possible CLE makes it out of the East and pulls it together to beat a beaten up WC champ, if the WC playoffs end up being all-out war. But, the Heat are one of three teams that could conceivably take Cleveland out, the others being the Raps and Celtics (and I'd rather face the Cavs than either of those teams).

....Re: Udrih-- you're right, on its face, the decision makes no sense for him, but I think he might be assuming nobody is going to pick him up because of his injury and once he clears waivers, he can eventually resign with Miami. I don't see any impropriety if that's the case.
    Why on earth would a team pick up a player that is injured and out for the season? They wouldn't even get Bird rights. There is literally nothing to be gained accept for whatever ridiculous and illegal deal was obv cut behind closed doors.