Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #31
syncmaster
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
Calderon played great tonight but do you honestly think that he can put up those types of numbers on a regular basis? I sure don't.
I do think he can keep doing this in daily basis.
because he`s too good a player.
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #32
Tool
Ball til I fall

Yeah exactly, we're talking about a gold medalist basketball player. How many people outside the US can say they won a gold fcuking medal.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #33
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Yeah I agree that he is good and that he is a gold medalist but I honestly feel that he can't play over 40 minutes a game while putting up a double double. There is nothing I can do to prove to you that TJ is the better player so I am just going to stop wasting my time.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #34
hoopia
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
Calderon played great tonight but do you honestly think that he can put up those types of numbers on a regular basis? I sure don't.
If Calderon starts and play 32 min/ game ,he probably averages 8pts/7 ast/3 reb/1 steal/2.8 TO's. i think
hoopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #35
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

I think you guys are all right. I think he can be a starter in this league, just not this year. It is incredible to see how far he's come since last year. Jose diffenitly does some things better then TJ. last night 19pt 11 ast. but the stat that i liked was 1 turn over. As well he didnt force shots like TJ often does. And yes, if Jose proves that he's better right now then TJ then Sam might start him over a healthy TJ, But Collangleo wont go for it.

Just a note: In the first 3 weeks of the season I predicted that Sam would lose his job if the Rap werent close to .500 by the All star break. He's twice the coach now then he was earlier. His job is now safe til the end of the season.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #36
syncmaster
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsguys
IQ less than 70, boot him to the nets board!
last two games ave..
min 41
fg% .50
3pt% .66
ft% .85
ast 9.5
pt 16.5
brS 1.0
turn O... 0.5
Jose should be the starter.
by the way , Do you know what is IQ stand for ???
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #37
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster
last two games ave..
min 41
fg% .50
3pt% .66
ft% .85
ast 9.5
pt 16.5
brS 1.0
turn O... 0.5
Jose should be the starter.
by the way , Do you know what is IQ stand for ???

You can't say who should start based on 2 games.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #38
Tool
Ball til I fall

Once Ford gets back to 100% he will show you why hes the starting PG. For now just let Calderon be in the spotlight.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #39
Done_And_Done
Induuubitably

meh...
Classic Toronto public mentality to instantly bash a starter the very instant a bench player excells for a few games... And in this case for the best, because when its all said in done im just content knowing that we uphold to efficient point guards who can get the job done... I love the way Calderon carries himself, on and off the court although i can hardly understand a single friggin word he says the dude is in fact class act... But at the end of the day, i just dont feel that hes ready to step in as the main ball distributer on a day to day basis... In due time, who knows but for the current time being TJ WILL continue to hold his job as our number 1 pointman...

** On another note, I wasnt aware of the fact that he only forced one turnover within the past 2 games till about a minute ago which i find very impressive... In most cases when a PG connects 19 passes in 2 games the stat is generally shadowed by a minimum of 5 turnovers so its a pleasant rarity.... Props to Jose**
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #40
Gregsguys
Dunking on everybody in the park

You are right about Jose, class act, doing a great job filling in. He is not yet ready to be an everyday starter but probably will be in the not too distant future. As for the IQ question from synch, IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient which refers to the intelligence level of individuals. It is derived from testing in areas of logic, thinking outside the box as well as pattern recognition. It is reflected in common life in areas such as sentence structure to which you have absolutely no ability leading me back to my statement about your IQ being 70 and you belonging on the Nets board.
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #41
Hoopeful
Learning to shoot layups

My two cents worth:

1. Man, we've got a few fascists on this Board. I'm referring to those who think the guy who started this thread should be banned, etc. What the heck is wrong with discussing who the Raptor's starting PG should be? Nothing, and I'd say the fact that this thread has gone on for 3 pages so far is evidence that many want to discuss it.

2. I agree that JC is better than TJ and should be starting. I formed, and expressed, that opinion long ago based on the following:

(a) I'll take consistent, smart, high-quality play over streaky, questionable play that is sometimes spectacular and sometimes a lot worse than mediocre.

(b) Speed per se is not important, its the effective use of speed to make a score or assist that counts. I don't care how fast TJ can get to the hoop if he misses the layup when he gets there and how often have we seen that happen? When JC sees an opening (that his defender is on him just a tad too tight) he blows by him and scores. When TJ does that and looks like he has an open layup I cross my fingers. Either he needs to practice open layups at top speed or he needs to slow down so he can make them when he gets them.

(c) A PG is the ultimate role-player. How many teams win when their PG is their top scorer? Did AI get a title for the 76ers? And that's AI I'm talking about. The scary thing is that TJ admits AI is his role model. Who does JC model hmself after? My guess would be Nash. Now the million dollar question: who's a better role model for your PG, AI or Nash?

There are Generals and Heroes. The Hero makes the great play, scores the winning basket, puts up the big numbers, etc. The General puts the Hero in the position to do all that. We've got the Hero - his name is Bosh. We've also got Bargnani, who looks like another Hero in the making. What we need in our PG is a General.

The Raps had no serious interest in keeping Mike James despite impressive numbers because he saw his job as that of the Hero. They even gave up someone with some heroic potential to get TJ because he was supposed to be a General.

JC gets the job done - his job - the General's job. TJ doesn't.
Hoopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #42
craigthomasb
College star

i remebr in the summer when james left and i said calderon is more than capable of being a starter in this league and everyone slated me
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #43
Gregsguys
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopeful
My two cents worth:

1. Man, we've got a few fascists on this Board. I'm referring to those who think the guy who started this thread should be banned, etc. What the heck is wrong with discussing who the Raptor's starting PG should be? Nothing, and I'd say the fact that this thread has gone on for 3 pages so far is evidence that many want to discuss it.

2. I agree that JC is better than TJ and should be starting. I formed, and expressed, that opinion long ago based on the following:

(a) I'll take consistent, smart, high-quality play over streaky, questionable play that is sometimes spectacular and sometimes a lot worse than mediocre.

(b) Speed per se is not important, its the effective use of speed to make a score or assist that counts. I don't care how fast TJ can get to the hoop if he misses the layup when he gets there and how often have we seen that happen? When JC sees an opening (that his defender is on him just a tad too tight) he blows by him and scores. When TJ does that and looks like he has an open layup I cross my fingers. Either he needs to practice open layups at top speed or he needs to slow down so he can make them when he gets them.

(c) A PG is the ultimate role-player. How many teams win when their PG is their top scorer? Did AI get a title for the 76ers? And that's AI I'm talking about. The scary thing is that TJ admits AI is his role model. Who does JC model hmself after? My guess would be Nash. Now the million dollar question: who's a better role model for your PG, AI or Nash?

There are Generals and Heroes. The Hero makes the great play, scores the winning basket, puts up the big numbers, etc. The General puts the Hero in the position to do all that. We've got the Hero - his name is Bosh. We've also got Bargnani, who looks like another Hero in the making. What we need in our PG is a General.

The Raps had no serious interest in keeping Mike James despite impressive numbers because he saw his job as that of the Hero. They even gave up someone with some heroic potential to get TJ because he was supposed to be a General.

JC gets the job done - his job - the General's job. TJ doesn't.

A good logical arguement. I have respect for anyone who can put together a good arguement or conversation on a topic whether I agree or not. My point was not as to which was a better starter but as to the approach with which this and other topics had been put forward by the other individual.
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #44
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

is there that big of a deal of who gets to start?
If one pg is struggling, put the other one on. So if they can get like 30min. and 25min. a game, that's not bad.
Both players have had good games and bad games. It's just that TJ is more used to more minutes. So I don't really care who they should start as long as they win the game.
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #45
syncmaster
Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: starting pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsguys
You are right about Jose, class act, doing a great job filling in. He is not yet ready to be an everyday starter but probably will be in the not too distant future. As for the IQ question from synch, IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient which refers to the intelligence level of individuals. It is derived from testing in areas of logic, thinking outside the box as well as pattern recognition. It is reflected in common life in areas such as sentence structure to which you have absolutely no ability leading me back to my statement about your IQ being 70 and you belonging on the Nets board.
you sounds like a genius,you should learn more about "intelligence quotient"
I suggest you go to this web site www.merriam-webster.com IDIOT

Last edited by syncmaster : 01-26-2007 at 09:10 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: