Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Charlie isn't going anywhere. I have a feeling he'll be better than Bosh and I don't want him to ply his trade elsewhere. This kid's got talent, there's nothing stopping him from being an all-star in 1-2 seasons.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I completely disagree with the fact rebuilding sometimes includes trading good young players, realize what you just said, and get back to me.

While most of the time, this theory is true, it can work the other way. If we traded Charlie Villaneuva for a young conventional small forward who scored just as good, and was a much better defender, then we would probably be increasing the ability of our team. Now, you have to wonder why the other team would make that trade, and they probably wouldn't. Therefore, the Raptors would have to include other pieces that aren't part of the rebuilding process, for example if the Raptors traded hypothetically, Charlie Villaneuva and Mike James for a stud young small forward, say LeBron James, then we would improve the team. Now obviously, this would never happen, but Villaneuva for LeBron is a trade of our youth where we obviously improve.

I am not sure where I am exactly going with this point, but I hope you can understand what I mean. You can trade away youth when rebuilding and improve, by acquiring youth with more talent, or who are performing better in the present case.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 AM   #18
power works
Serious playground baller

Lightbulb

I don't know if anyone caught BC's post-draft press conference on Raptors TV, but he mentioned that he's currently working on a big trade --- unrelated to the draft.

Apparently BC had to speak to Charlie V today to alleviate his concerns about being traded. BC said he didn't promise Charlie he wouldn't be dealt (RED FLAG)--- only not to believe everything he reads in the paper.

Frankly, I think something is up....something huge....and Charlie is most likely the player to be moved.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #19
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

"Ultimately the price that was being asked (to get another high first-round pick) was Charlie Villanueva and there wasn't a situation where we felt we could make that move," said Colangelo.

From the Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=970081562040
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
Zalendar
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I rather they didn't trade Charlie... but it really depends on what they get back in return.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #21
brwnman

they don't want to trade Charlie anymore unless we get a star in return...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
power works
Serious playground baller

Lightbulb

BC wasn't ready to give up Charlie V for another 1st round pick ---- thankfully, but he may be willing to do so for a package that'll return Ridnour and Ray Allen.

My guess is that the Sonics is the most likely trading partner.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
brwnman

Charlie V + (insert filler) for Ridnour and Ray Allen... I don't think it would happen at all...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #24
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

As much as I like Charlie, if it improves the team thats the only thing we should be looking at. I'd still cheer for Charlie cuz he's a great guy and a good player, but BC's objective is to improve the team, and that might have to include trading Charlie.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #25
huppcap
Local High School Star

I would love to see Charlie V stay since I believed in him the first days following last year's draft and of course he has great more upside. Be disappointed to see him go. But to get a quality PG that is under contract would require trading a valuable asset. Colangelo seems to like Charlie V but that does not guarantee if the right deal came along to improve the team overall that he would not pull the trigger.

Andre Miller, Ridnour, and Brevin Knight would be the main ones on the list under contract.

Marcus Banks and Jason Terry are free agents but they are not necessarily true point guards. Speedy Claxton is also a free agent.

99% unlikely to happen but Chris Paul for Charlie V + draft pick and/or another player would be intriguing.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I don't think the Hornets would give up Chris Paul for ANYTHING. And I mean anything. To have a young PG who is obviously a franchise player, he's someone to build around for many many years. Would be sweet though.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #27
Zalendar
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Ya, I just can't see the Hornets giving up Chris Paul for anything either. Though it would be nice to aquire him hehe. The only way I can see them trading him is if after his rookie season he wont sign an extension and states that he wants out.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #28
Nhui
Not airballing my layups anymore

A Bargs, Bosh, and CV31 will make an AMAZING frontcourt soon in this so called 'New NBA' where big men are different. I want to keep CV31 because he has such a great attitude about being a Raptor and basketball in general, which is what this team needs from such an important player as Charlie, especially with Davis, Carter, Mike James all wanting to bolt the city. Rather have a not so good SF defender wanting to play here then some overpaid guard (Ray Allen?) who may not want to be here.
Nhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #29
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
BC wasn't ready to give up Charlie V for another 1st round pick ---- thankfully, but he may be willing to do so for a package that'll return Ridnour and Ray Allen.

My guess is that the Sonics is the most likely trading partner.

That would be great.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #30
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

As of right now I agree. That leaves Seattle without a 2 guard though. But they would have a very versatile frontcourt with Swift, Petro, Lewis, Villy and eventualy Saer Sene. Ridnour is the kind of PG the Raps want. This could very well happen.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: