Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Final.Wrath's Mock Draft (Lottery Complete) -In progress-

1. Portland Trailblazers: Greg Oden
This guy is immdediately going to put the Blazers is playoff contention. His presence in the post will allow Brandon Roy more open shots and driving lanes. His game-changing defense and shotblocking would form an imposing defensive tandem with Lamarcus Aldridge at his side. The Blazers will be once piece away (SF) from being a complete team.

2. Seattle Supersonics: Kevin Durant
Kevin Durant obviously has surefire superstar potential. He's a long rebounder and defender and he can shoot the ball. This will bring added offensive firepower to a team already stacked at that end of the floor. However, Seattle's defense is in need of an overhall if they hope to compete in the every increasingly deep western conference. Rashard Lewis' future is in question and the team has a big gap down low. Some question how Durant's rebounding and shotblocking will transfer to the NBA.

3. Atlanta Hawks: Mike Conley Jr.
Conley proved in his freshman year that he can lead a team to success. His handles, speed, and quick step to the basket have made it clear he is the best PG in the draft. In my eyes Atlanta would be a good fit for Mike because he will be able to push the ball in a fast tempo offense. He would have plenty of finishers in Johnson, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. His jumpshot will improve in time. Shelden Williams is emerging as a beast and with some growth this team would be able to make the playoffs. If I were Atlanta I might be inticed to trade this pick to Portland for some packages they could put together...but it would be smarter to give Conley a try before trading him away.

4. Memphis Grizzlies: Yi Jianlian
A proven athletic rebounder and post player in college, Harford might be the best option for Memphis in reality. Memphis would be very tempted to choose Yi Jianlian instead, who would bring in added cash from Chinese fans into a dying financial organization. Yi is already a superstar there and so many Memphis jerseys would sell they could make enough money to sign a free agent. They have a enough capspace to get somebody good. But no money right now...
Yi is an athletic jumpshooting 7 footer from China. He can drive inside for impressive dunks as well. The competition he faced there was pretty weak compared to what he'll face in the NBA. He may need a few years of development before he can be a major force in my oppinion.

5. Boston Celtics: Brandan Wright
Brandan would form a scary duo with Al Jefferson. Paul Pierce, Gerald Green, Delonte West, to stretch the defense and Brandon Wright and AL Jefferson to play down low. Rajon Rondo is emerging as a great steal of the 06 class with his pesky defense and speed down the floor. If that group of guys can stay healthy theres no reason that team shouldn't make the playoffs. Thats on paper at least...

6. Milwaukee Bucks: Al Horford
It's a choice between Al Horford and Joakim Noah here and I think you have to go with Al. Horford has shown a little more athletecism and power in the post at this point. Joakim has shown he is a smarter and more versatile player but I think Harford's abillity to hit the 15 footer pretty consistently makes him more valuable to Milwaukee. That would work better with Bogut on offense and add some muscle on the boards to the team.

7. Minnesota Timberwolves: Spencer Hawes
I honestly don't know if the Wolves are smart enough to make this pick. Hawes would form a great low post/high post duo with KG. Hawes has great footwork in the post where he was able to score at will in college. If he can be consistent with his jumper and improve defensively he could become an elite center one day.
That said, he's shown that he's not a great rebounder at this point. Ideally KG would cover this weakness with his dominance on the boards. But nothing ever seems to go right for Minnesota, so I bet they'll find a way to screw things up.

8. Charlotte Bobcats: Joakim Noah
Joakim would provide speed, length and hustle and would look great next to Okafor. Question is... is Okafor ever going to be healthy enough to be that guy for Charlotte? I hope so. If the front office resigns Gerald Wallace they are only a solid shooting guard away from being a whole team.
The GM may opt to trade this pick if offered a package with a scorer.

9. Chicago Bulls: Corey Brewer
If they miss out on Spencer Hawes, I think Corey Brewer is their best option. To a team obsessed with defense, he would immediately improve thier abillity to shut down other teams so effectively. He wouldn't bring the post scoring they need though... so it could be likely they'd look to trade up or package him for one of the available star big men.
Randolph might be an atractive option right now. This pick would go a long way towards getting him.

10. Sacramento Kings: Julian Wright
Wright is the best player on the board at this point and his versatility makes him a good pick for Sacramento. He can play the 3 and the 4 if they decide to run. He's a "character guy". He held the door for all the players and coaches at his last workout. His work ethic and positive attitude will help a team with chemistry problems like the Kings.

11. Atlanta Hawks: Al Thorton
Al Thorton would be a good fit if the Hawks decide to go uptempo. He has proven to be a reliable shooter from outside and is fairly skilled in the post. His weakness is definately his defense at this point. Has not shown consitency boxing out in college and if he doesn't change this his rebounding will suffer in the NBA.

12. Philadelphia 76ers: Acie Law
I beleive Andre Miller's contract expires next season and I think adding Law would be a smart thing to do. They can grab a wingman later in the draft with their two other picks. Igoudala is emerging as a hell of a player and theres light at the end of the tunnel for this orginazation.

13. New Orleans Hornets: Nick Young
Nick Young has an outstanding midrange game and I think he's the best option on the board for NOK right now. He will get plenty of open shots from Chris Paul and could help this team finally get to the playoffs. Hopefully their whole team doesn't get injured again this season.

14. Los Angeles Clippers: Jeff Green
Jeff Green would provide hustle, rebounding, and defense at the 3 and possibly 4 spot. His offensive game is pretty raw but he has shown the ability to score when his team needs him to. His passing and court awareness would compliment Brand well. I think he will polish up his offensive game and become a starting caliber SF soon. Pretty good defender and all around player.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-29-2007 at 04:49 PM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
final.wrath
Banned

Default Re: Final.Wrath's Mock Draft -In progress-

oops
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

You don't think with Jerry West being an old school basketball mind, that he wouldn't go for Al Horford? This is a team that had made the playoffs the last few years before this year, and who's star player wants to win now. I think Wright is going to be a great pro, and will make an impact this year, but Horford will be a better fit I think. He would help Pau out a lot, and allow Pau to maybe not take such a beating.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

Yeah I thought of that too, good point. I chose Wright because his upside seems to be higher than Horford's.

But post defense is what the Grizzlies need, and even though Horford isn't a great post defender he can still hold his position better than Wright at this point. Wright has a bigger wingspan and I think he could end up being a better defender as he develops. I wouldn't be suprised if they chose Horford over Wright though. It's West's call.

Edit: I changed my mind. I don't think they pass on Yi. Gasol will be pissed but will stay and change his mind as Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry grow. They might look to sign a post defender in the offseason or get one through a trade. Unless they think Hakeem Warrick will do the job.

West has pretty much left the organization anyway. If he can't stop the firing of Fratello I doubt he could have very much say in the draft choice.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-29-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I understand picking Noah because Okafur and May aren't really centers, but what about Brewer? You say yourself that they need a SG, and if they re-sign Wallace, that is an amazing defensive team. Of course Noah will be a good defender too, so that might not be a bad pick. I just wonder if you take Noah, knowing that you have May and Okafur already. Of course with recent trends in the NBA, at least one of those 3 guys will leave anyway, so you can't have too many big men, but Brewer just seems to fit more right now.

Of course they also have the 22nd pick, and they need more scoring, and Arron Afflalo would probably still be on the board. He may not be as good on defense, and certainly wouldn't create the matchup problems of the 6-8 Brewer, but he is still a good defender, better scorer, and shooter. Felton needs someone to get the ball to, and with Afflalo and Noah, you are still adding two good young defenders. I'm not saying Afflalo will be a go-to guy or anything, but I could see him putting up 12 to 15ppg.

The best thing about drafting Noah as well is that this is a deep SG draft, and you may also have Nick Young fall to you, and Marcus Williams, in my opinion, will be similar to Brewer, he is just a lot more raw right now. Morris Almond might be a good pick as well, and I think is the mostly likely out of all the SG going late in the 1st round to be like Kevin Martin and end up scoring over 15ppg. They also love All-Americans and Alando Tucker was certainly that. Also Rodney Stucky might be left, and he could be a great 6th man, and would also take some pressure off Felton because he can handle the ball pretty well. Also Fernandez and Belinelli could be there as well.

I guess I have talked myself out of thinking that Brewer should be the pick. Noah may not end up being as good as Brewer, but you also won't find a big man like him with the 22nd pick, while you may find a swingman who could at least be similar to Brewer.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I guess I have talked myself out of thinking that Brewer should be the pick. Noah may not end up being as good as Brewer, but you also won't find a big man like him with the 22nd pick, while you may find a swingman who could at least be similar to Brewer.

Right. Brewer and Wallace are pretty similar players if you think about it. Which I guess isn't a bad thing exactly. Fastbreak teams rely on a lot of steals to run down the floor and they will certainly force a lot of turnovers with CB and GW defending the wings. Raymond Felton is a ball hawk too.

The problem is, Corey wouldn't fill the scoring role the Bobcats need. They would rely almost exclusively on their defense to get their offense going. So when they can't get a stop I doubt they'd be able to keep up.

One option would be to resign Walter Hermann. He was on fire last season.

P.S. I forgot to mention how May is injury riddled and pretty out of shape.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-29-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

Given the situation, I think the bulls will pick Julian Wright instead of Brewer. Brewer will be playing the same position and same role as Thabo while Julian plays the 3-4. Unless they trade Duhon in that case, brewer is a nice pick up. Having Thabo,Crewer,Noce,Thomas of the bench will nice for Chicagos defense
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 AM   #8
final.wrath
Banned

Well I think if Nocioni leaves Brewer makes more sense. Wright is a good pick too but I think he won't be able to score very well in the NBA at first. Neither will Brewer but I think Brewer is a little bit better defender and a little bit better fit alongside Deng than Thabo is.

What they really need is scoring down low so I think they'll try to make a move if they can't get Hawes.

Last edited by final.wrath : 05-29-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
HORNETSFAN
Can barely lace up my sneakers

HORNETSFAN has an OK reputation so far

FYI- There is no "NOK" any longer.
HORNETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: