Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Good college starter AznTacoLover's Avatar

Default Re: No triple-double for LeBron in NY: NBA rescinds that 10th rebound

lol, wow. and after a couple of days then they announced it.

Quote Originally Posted by 243354
    Seriously, I hope he suffers some sort of career ending injury.That get rid of clowns like you.
    Don't wish bad on anyone man.

I just did.
    Why do you have so much hate in your heart?

^
    I know.

shhhhhhh

A handful of quickie reactions and footnotes to the league's unexpected announcement Friday that LeBron James' epic triple-double at Madison Square Garden will now be recorded as a mere 52-point, 11-assist, nine-rebound classic:
    •The league office actually makes after-the-fact corrections to box scores like this one  deducting one rebound from LeBron's stat line and awarding to Ben Wallace -- fairly regularly. Yet it rarely announces those changes.

• An announcement was made in this case, league officials said, because of the historical implications and widespread coverage of LeBron's feat. There hasn't been a player to post a triple double with at least 50 points since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did it for Milwaukee in 1975.

• This wasn't the first time this season that the Cavs were hit with such a change. Zydrunas Ilgauskas was stripped of a blocked shot from a Dec. 6 game against Charlotte, which was also given to Wallace.

• The most recent example of such a high-profile ruling occurred in 1990, when Houston's Hakeem Olajuwon had a quadruple-double nullified after the league stripped him of an assist. The league also announced that box-score amendment via press release.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-090207-08

I think there needs to be a Congressional investiagation on the matter.

Local High School Star barbaroi's Avatar

Good find.

Local High School Star

Default Re: "No triple-double for LeBron"

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    [COLOR="Red"]The Cavs average 20 Assists Per Game though [/COLOR]

Link. It's 20.3 if you wanna get technical.

Next excuse please.....
    Actually he may know what he's talking about, after all he's a Laker fan. He should know all about stagnant ball movement and ruining the team game to get stats seeing as how Kobe Bryant's on his favorite team.

Default Re: "No triple-double for LeBron"

hate what you love.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    They just showed the play again on NBA Shootaround and it was FAR from a 'shovel pass' by Wallace. Ben tipped the ball twice with one hand as a defender drew near and LeBron grabbed the ball after the second tip. I don't know what exactly the rule is on tipping a rebound and actually securing possession, but there is no doubt that Ben HAD NOT gained possession on that rebound and it may have gone out-of-bounds had LeBron not grabbed it after the second tip.

I had not really taken a close look at that play until after this announcement, but after seeing it several times minutes ago, I'm amazed that the league took the rebound away.

It should be noted that Legler and Avery Johnson both mocked the league for doing what it did.
    Watch it on the full screen so that you can see it better. Wallace didn't have the ball in both hands or even one hand, true. But, it was under his control. He tapped upward to himself at least twice from underneath the ball, but then all of the sudden the ball changed trajectory and proceed on a horizontal path toward LeBron. And this redirection of the ball coincidentally just happened to occur when Ben was pressured by a defender. That then bears a suspicious resemblance to a pass, I'd say.

kobe>lebron

Cleveland Plain Dealer ace reporter Brian Windhorst raises an interesting point in his coverage that the league has yet to explain. Windhorst wrote: "The ruling was inconsistent with the stat crew's tallies during the game. Wallace tipped a handful of rebounds to teammates, a tactic he's perfected during his career and has been dubbed the 'Ben back-tap' by Cavs play-by-play voice Fred McLeod. Most of the time at arenas around the league, Wallace gets credit for these as rebounds. Yet the stats crew gave Wallace just one rebound in the game before NBA intervention while Wally Szczerbiak, who grabbed several of Wallace's tap-backs, ended up with an anomaly of 13 rebounds, the second-highest total of his career. The review of the film by the NBA, though, did not change any other of Wallace's uncredited back-taps or Szczerbiak's rebounds.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

So I was right, usually a back-tap IS a rebound.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

So I was right, usually a back-tap IS a rebound.

A tap back is not a rebound. If it was, Tyson Chandler would have off the chart rebounding numbers since I've seen him tap back more loose rebounds than anyone right now in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel J
    A tap back is not a rebound. If it was, Tyson Chandler would have off the chart rebounding numbers since I've seen him tap back more loose rebounds than anyone right now in the NBA.
    Well I think they're not consistent with their definition. I'm pretty sure Ben Wallace does get credit for it most of the time (although he didn't at MSG). I don't have any examples right now but I've seen it, and this writer did too. And usually he's a very reliable source.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    Well I think they're not consistent with their definition. I'm pretty sure Ben Wallace does get credit for it most of the time (although he didn't at MSG). I don't have any examples right now but I've seen it, and this writer did too. And usually he's a very reliable source.
    I gave the Chris Paul/Chandler example a few pages back but I'll see if I can find another example.