Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Grew up watching these cats play. In order: Pip, Penny, Hill. Pip def the best. Penny had the most hype going forward with all the Sprite and shoe commercials and it was warranted. Guys footwork and ability to get difficult shots off was something to watch. Always felt Hill to be a little overrated. Magic with Shaq and Penny was scary. But Pip easily the most dominant between the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    1. Scottie Pippen - far the the better defender among the three and slightly better offensively
    2. Penny Hardaway - top 5 player in the late 90s, consider to be the next Jordan.. Cant believe Shaq cant win a chip with this player..
    3. Grant Hill - almost equal to Penny but always failed to advance in the first round.. He's the Tmac of the 90s..
    1. Pippen wasn't better offensively than either, despite the similar peak scoring numbers. Penny out of the three probably had the best pure scoring skills and, had he played out his prime as a shooting guard without the injuries, easily had 27-30 ppg potential if he focused more on scoring and less on playing a facilitator role.

2. Penny's knees were more or less shot by late 90s, he peaked in mid 90s. 96 Penny was the best we ever saw from him.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 10-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.

I'd rank Hill first if he had the longevity; as it is, its Pippen, then Hill, with Penny a more distant third.

Penny had a better peak. And if he wasnt riddled with the injury bug for most of his career he would be considered the better player of the 3. Pippen destroys both on defense, but lets remember that MJ was double teamed through scotties whole career. MJ even stated in some interview that Penny was the hardest person in the league to guard.

NBA rookie of the year

Peak Penny was definitely better than peak Pippen. Hill is arguably over Pippen as well, but has a weaker case. Penny's top end, though he didn't have need to display it much, was very high.

NBA rookie of the year

At their invidual peaks, I'd take Penny. I still remember Penny's back to back 40 spots against the Heat in the playoffs.

Why Pippen, McGrady would be a better comparison with the other 2.

Well all 3 guys finished top 3 in MVP voting one season so it really comes down to who you rwould rather have overall.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Why Pippen, McGrady would be a better comparison with the other 2.
    I also feel Penny and McGrady were similar in how they played.

But Hill is more like Lebron IMO. Main difference is Hill had a better midrange game and Lebron the better 3 point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    At their invidual peaks, I'd take Penny. I still remember Penny's back to back 40 spots against the Heat in the playoffs.
    Funny enough this thread prompted me to check out the highlights of those games. He really was the whole package on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Grant Hill's MVP runner up season... was 99 right?

25.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.5 spg on 56.5 TS%. Not to mention Hill's always been a respectable/good defender, although not as good as he has been the last 5-6 years. Penny on the other hand was a mediocre defender who could be classified as average at best.

Penny was an awesome and unique talent but he can't touch prime Hill. As for Pippen his numbers may not be quite as good as peak Hill BUT he's a top 3 perimeter defender of all time and has a case for the top spot in that regard, that alone puts him above Penny IMO.

Penny is one of those players that have become insanely overhyped long after they are gone. I watched him and he was very very gifted and good. That being said his prime was extremely short lived and outside of getting carried by young Shaq didn't do much to impress me. People act like he's Lebron but forget that he only had what 4 seasons as a top caliber player, then vanished? By comparison Tmac and Vince Carter who people act like were a flash in the pan had at leasy 7-8 seasons at the highest level at their position.
    LOL at can't touch Hill, and Penny getting carried by Shaq.

In the 95-96 season where Shaq missed the 22 first games of the season, Penny led them to 17-5. That is better than Wade or Kobe ever did with Shaq sitting.
    Penny was far better defensively than Hill and simply didn't put up the stats he could offensively because he played smart and in a system where he wasn't given free reign to do what he liked.

Penny was the better player no question. He was leading his team to the playoffs, and impacted the game far more. And the Shaq excuse is thrown out the window, since we've seen how he performs without him. And yes, Penny was better than Pippen too.

Even next season they were 38-21 in the 59 games Penny played; this being the 96-97 season where Shaq joined the Lakers. When Penny didn't play they were 7-16 in the remaining games. Shows how much impact he had.

You really don't have a clue as to what you're writing, and I'm not sure if you've seen more then 2 or 3 games from either Hill or Hardaway back in their Pistons and Magic days.
    Last edited by plowking; 10-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

1-Pippen
    2-Hill
    3-Penny

Pippen's and Hill's statlines are almost identical, but Pippen was the far superior defender. That puts him above Hill. Hardaway was a better defender than Hill and had better court vision, but his advantage on D isn't enough to put him above Hill. What I liked most about Penny is he didn't hold onto the ball like LeBron in Cleveland did. Penny had great court vision and was able to create mismatches because of his height. If an opposing team put their SG on him, Penny very easily hit Nick Anderson or Dennis Scott for an open 3.

Pip at #1 is clear as day. #2 isn't as clear cut because Hill and Penny are close, but Hill does have the slight advantage. So...Pip #1, Hill #2, and Penny #3.

Its hilarious to see all these pro Hill responses over Penny, yet you wouldn't really be able to name anything that Hill is better at than Penny.

Shooter? Penny.
    Post Player? Penny.
    Playmaker? Penny.
    Defender? Penny.
    Drive Penetration? Penny.
    Passer? Penny.
    More efficient? Penny.

How is Hill better again?

As of right now, obviously Scottie tops them both. But a prime Grant Hill was like a LeBron.
    Peaks. Pippen's versatility is enough to put him over Penny
    1. Hill
    2. Pippen
    3. Penny