Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Amazing SPIDER-MAN (July 3rd) - News and Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    A 7 is decent, but if most gave First Class a 7 i'd have no complaints about it being overrated. But many feel its better than that and to me that's overrating a film that is mediocre or at best just decent.
    Yeah First Class was shtty in my opinion, I rented it because I was hearing how awesome it was but I ended up very disappointed.

High School Starter

I personally enjoyed First Class more than The Avengers. Thought it was a little darker, delved into some of the characters more (though, to be fair, the Avengers each had their own movies give or take, so they didn't really have to dig into the mentality of the characters). The acting was phenomenal too. Fassbender as Magneto and McCavoy as Professor X both nailed their roles. It may have not had as much action, but the buildup was great and I didn't feel like they overdid some of the roles.

I'm also a HUGE X-Men fan which plays into it.

I rewatched First Class last night and for the most part stand by my stance of it being overrated, but a 7 is a good score for it. It's not awful, and it's not mediocre, but its average. If i have to judge it from different perspectives;

As an X-Men movie based from the comics: Mediocre. The couldn't give a damn about continuity. C'mon, Darwin dies?

As an X-Men movie based in its own universe:
    Good. Its decent enough to establish a base for future movies to follow this one. But if they do another origin movie and pretend like this one never happened, then this one was just a big waste of time. But if we get about two or three more films that come out of this one it can end up being a pretty good series.

As a standalone movie:
    Average. Too many plot holes and lack of depth to be considered good.

Plot Holes
    If Shaw has a thing for recruiting powerful mutants, how did he and Magneto end up in each other's rear view? The Nazis lost the war, but what exactly did that have to do with Shaw seemingly ditching this very powerful mutant child (whom-despite having killed his mother in front of him, could have groomed him to be an ally - after very least through brain washing) after going through such lengths to unlock the child's gifts?

Why is there such confusion between Mystique and Prof X's feelings for one another despite them having grown up together. Prof X is basically a college grad yet the way the two interact almost seems like they've only recently just become acquainted with one another. Mystique clearly has feelings for X yet despite him being somewhat of a flirt and obsessed with studying mutations, he acts odd and strange around Mystique as if he doesn't know how to approach her. It's a relationship that doesn't make a lot of sense and has clear issues when it comes to the two characters sharing any chemistry. I blame this on whoever wrote it as they did a bad job of making viewers feel like X and Mystique really care about each other.

Why does Sebastian Shaw have a helmet that blocks telepathy? They could have given a little insight on whether he had a run in with some telepath in the past.

There was next to no background on any characters outside of Charles and Magneto; and really its only Magneto as you see Charles as a kid, then as an adult, but no much info on how he came upon his powers the way we saw for Magneto. Every other mutant came off as nobodies with something special about them, but not much was given to viewers to care about why humans should accept these newly discovered mutants. Its as if the writer/director expected viewers to care about the characters based on prior knowledge of them from the comics, yet took every opportunity to go away from continuity. If you're going to go away from the original origins and stories, why not take some time to create new ones so your story has some depth. Instead most of the mutants came off as 'America's Got Mutants' who tell you their name and then show off their talent. That's not a movie, that's just special effects. I can get that from indie youtube shorts.

I can probably keep going, but i think you get the just of it.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Rose
    Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 / 4 stars!

One of the highest for a comic book film he's ever given.

It's going to be certified fresh on RT too.

If you read the reviews basically all the negative reviews are from people who didn't like the fact this is an origin story, and that's basically it. Other than that, they give the film great reviews!

Getting tix for tonight in 3D since this was shot with James Cameron 3D technology.
    And they are bitching that it's not different enough than other Spider-Man movies but that's irrelevant IMO!

Great movie. I liked it better than all the other Spiderman movies before. The first one with Toby was pretty good but this is just as good to me. I really liked what they did with this one. Not a lot of people saw this, this movie is being slept on big time. Watch word spread and this is going to get people a lot more hyped if they make another one of these.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

Going to watch it when I can get free tickets for it. Reviewers bitching at the fact that this is a reboot shouldn't even be watching the movie if that's their main concern.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Great movie. I liked it better than all the other Spiderman movies before. The first one with Toby was pretty good but this is just as good to me. I really liked what they did with this one. Not a lot of people saw this, this movie is being slept on big time. Watch word spread and this is going to get people a lot more hyped if they make another one of these.
    What did you like most?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    What did you like most?
    I liked the action scenes the most. The story behind his webbing is a lot better. His suit is better too.

There's a bunch of stuff I don't want to spoil, but I liked the way the story was told. His identity wasn't such a secret.

I don't think this guy is much of an actor but everything else in the movie makes up for it.

Banned

SpiderMan was awesome.. Can't wait for part two.. Andrew Garfield, best spidey ever.. Glad they rebooted the franchise to get it right.

Definitely a must watch movie. 8.75/10

Garfield, as I predicted, would be a better Peter Parker than Macguire. The only takeaway from the movie was the mechanical web shooter, costume, and lesser focus on Uncle Ben's death.

Local High School Star

it was alright, not that great though.

Then again, I enjoyed Avengers, First Class, and Raimi's first 2 Spidey movies more than this.

I usually hit open layups

It was good as far as super-hero movies go. (Obviously, nowhere close to Nolan's movies).

It had good action, mediocre acting, awesome graphics, and an engaging enough plot-line.

For what it was, I enjoyed it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by neilio23
    It was good as far as super-hero movies go. (Obviously, nowhere close to Nolan's movies).

It had good action, mediocre acting, awesome graphics, and an engaging enough plot-line.

For what it was, I enjoyed it.
    The only acting that I didnt like (surprisingly) was Emma Stone.. that was some strange sappy weeping she was doing..

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

I like Andrew Garfield but this new Spiderman seems so smug and whiny.

He's not the "friendly neighborhood" Spidey that makes the character fun and relateable to in the first place.

Maybe ppl say 1st class was good because it was a lot better than the bullshit put out before hand and it exceeded people's expectations.