Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: [Rumour] Lakers never offered more than second rounder for Gasol

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I would think the offers weren't that good. Pau is making close to 20 million. Teams don't want to take on that kind of salary.
    It heard its a "PRORATED" pay as Gasol already played a chunk with the Lakers and in hindsight, could be a huge mistake on why they failed to get in the playoffs cuz of thier lack of low post players.
    How good will they be next year? Was the last season's good record just an aberration? I understand Pau could walk in the summer but they had a chance to prove that are worth it if they played good in the playoffs.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    It heard its a "PRORATED" pay as Gasol already played a chunk with the Lakers and in hindsight, could be a huge mistake on why they failed to get in the playoffs cuz of thier lack of low post players.
    How good will they be next year? Was the last season's good record just an aberration? I understand Pau could walk in the summer but they had a chance to prove that are worth it if they played good in the playoffs.
    Can't compare last years record. They had Kobe and Dwight.

Can't compare last years record. They had Kobe and Dwight.
    huh? Im referring to Phoenix which should have paid a prorated rate on Gasol to get a much better chance of qualifying to playoffs and do better, a shot of keeping him bec I don't see them doing better in the coming years. That "window" might have closed bec of their unwillingness to pay and offer a late first rounder IMO.

NBA lottery pick

huh? Im referring to Phoenix which should have paid a prorated rate on Gasol to get a much better chance of qualifying to playoffs and do better, a shot of keeping him bec I don't see them doing better in the coming years. That "window" might have closed bec of their unwillingness to pay and offer a late first rounder IMO.
    I think it was dumb for Phoenix to not do that deal and give up one of those picks.

Default Re: ☆Official Pau Gasol Thread: Pau Gasol's contract year

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    In regards to the last paragraph yes you can :), well that could work...we will just need someone to hypothetically give Masai Ujiri excuse the spelling some scopolamine and have said person hypothetically try and orchestrate said trade (scopolamine is known to get rid of free will and to basically allow someone to do whatever you tell them, so if someone would hypothetically do that we might have a chance of that sort of a trade ) without someone doing that probably not , unfortunately I think Lowry will want too much money to get he'll be wanting between 9-12 and he should get it but I think if the Lakers offered him that then they could well not have enough to try and sign Love the next year would love to get Lowry dammit such an underrated point guard, I think he could get a lot in free agency that he deserves but the Lakers probably won't want to offer unless he takes less because of future free agent targets.
    I really think most teams already have a legit PG, Even teams like TWolves, Denver, Wizards etc have really good ones. The few teams that need one are usually over the cap, squads like Indiana, Miami. If they lose Pau, they can use part of the $ saved on Lowry.

NBA lottery pick

I really think most teams already have a legit PG, Even teams like TWolves, Denver, Wizards etc have really good ones. The few teams that need one are usually over the cap, squads like Indiana, Miami. If they lose Pau, they can use part of the $ saved on Lowry.
    The road to the NBA finals is going to go through guys like Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul. I like Lowry, but I'm not sure he's going to lead a team to a championship. I think the best thing that could happen is the Lakers get a guy like Exum or Smart, if they don't somehow land one of the top two picks of course.

The road to the NBA finals is going to go through guys like Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul. I like Lowry, but I'm not sure he's going to lead a team to a championship. I think the best thing that could happen is the Lakers get a guy like Exum or Smart, if they don't somehow land one of the top two picks of course.
    I have a bad feeling that Exum will be gone before the Lakers turn to pick. I predict that most GMs in the top 5 will also stay away from Embiid bec of his injury. I have not seen Smart play, and even if I did, I still would rather see a player like Lowry play the point, not saying he is the ultimate answer, in fact I will not pay him more than 9 mil/year. But bet Smart and Embiid, Ill pick Smart bec Im so scared of taking an injured big guy.

Exum vs Smart.. Who is the better draft option? I have seen a lot of people side with Exum but would being forced to draft Smart be a huge blow if Exum is gone?

NBA lottery pick

I have a bad feeling that Exum will be gone before the Lakers turn to pick. I predict that most GMs in the top 5 will also stay away from Embiid bec of his injury. I have not seen Smart play, and even if I did, I still would rather see a player like Lowry play the point, not saying he is the ultimate answer, in fact I will not pay him more than 9 mil/year. But bet Smart and Embiid, Ill pick Smart bec Im so scared of taking an injured big guy.
    Embiid is top 5 for sure.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Exum vs Smart.. Who is the better draft option? I have seen a lot of people side with Exum but would being forced to draft Smart be a huge blow if Exum is gone?
    Very tough to say. I do know one thing. The first PG taken in almost every draft hasn't been a bust. They at least turn into solid players. Some might have been hurt and not the same, but they were at least good players before that. PG is the safest position to pick, especially with the way the NBA rules are now. You have to go back until about 2000 when Detroit took Mateen Cleaves as the first PG to find a true bust, and even at that he was a 14 pick. Right now it looks like the experts are leaning Exum. I don't think any team can go wrong picking one of those two guys.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Very tough to say. I do know one thing. The first PG taken in almost every draft hasn't been a bust. They at least turn into solid players. Some might have been hurt and not the same, but they were at least good players before that. PG is the safest position to pick, especially with the way the NBA rules are now. You have to go back until about 2000 when Detroit took Mateen Cleaves as the first PG to find a true bust, and even at that he was a 14 pick. Right now it looks like the experts are leaning Exum. I don't think any team can go wrong picking one of those two guys.
    Reports have Exum basically heavily trying to push his way to the Lakers, there was one report stating he'd be reducing his amount of workouts so any team bar the Lakers will not get to see as much, along with the potential that his agent has been basically trying to get other teams bar the Lakers to back off in picking him, I wouldn't think he'd do that without some verbal indication by the Lakers that they will pick him so if they get to pick either of the two I think the Lakers will go with Exum (and I'd agree with that but I'm biased), I don't think teams will definitely not pick him just because he's desperately trying to get to the Lakers but picking someone who doesn't want to play anywhere else and could potentially go to Europe and re-enter the draft 2-3 years later and still be 21 or so I think most teams would rather avoid the hassle, so I am certainly hoping the Lakers get the high enough pick to take Exum, any of the four of Wiggins; Parker, Embiid or Exum I will be ecstatic with and happy with Randle or Smart too but more ecstatic for the above four :P (taking an antibiotic that is known to cause delusions/hallucinations and nightmares so if I post anything rather odd I'm blaming them )
    Last edited by Lakers91; 04-23-2014 at 09:35 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    Reports have Exum basically heavily trying to push his way to the Lakers, there was one report stating he'd be reducing his amount of workouts so any team bar the Lakers will not get to see as much, along with the potential that his agent has been basically trying to get other teams bar the Lakers to back off in picking him, I wouldn't think he'd do that without some verbal indication by the Lakers that they will pick him so if they get to pick either of the two I think the Lakers will go with Exum (and I'd agree with that but I'm biased), I don't think teams will definitely not pick him just because he's desperately trying to get to the Lakers but picking someone who doesn't want to play anywhere else and could potentially go to Europe and re-enter the draft 2-3 years later and still be 21 or so I think most teams would rather avoid the hassle, so I am certainly hoping the Lakers get the high enough pick to take Exum, any of the four of Wiggins; Parker, Embiid or Exum I will be ecstatic with and happy with Randle or Smart too but more ecstatic for the above four :P (taking an antibiotic that is known to cause delusions/hallucinations and nightmares so if I post anything rather odd I'm blaming them )
    He doesn't really have any leverage to choose his team. The worst move of his career would be pulling out from a team and going to Europe. He would lose millions of dollars. Not to mention the experience. There have been reports of him going in the top 3 potentially. If the Magic pick ahead of the Lakers I could see them picking him. A back court of Exum and Oladipo would be a very nice young pairing for them. I think Exum, Randle, Smart, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are all day 1 starters for whatever team drafts them. They may not all end up being superstars, but I do see them being solid players. This is a very deep draft. The Lakers are going to end up with an upgrade at some position no matter what.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

He doesn't really have any leverage to choose his team. The worst move of his career would be pulling out from a team and going to Europe. He would lose millions of dollars. Not to mention the experience. There have been reports of him going in the top 3 potentially. If the Magic pick ahead of the Lakers I could see them picking him. A back court of Exum and Oladipo would be a very nice young pairing for them. I think Exum, Randle, Smart, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are all day 1 starters for whatever team drafts them. They may not all end up being superstars, but I do see them being solid players. This is a very deep draft. The Lakers are going to end up with an upgrade at some position no matter what.
    He doesn't have any true leverage he basically has coercion that he can and is using, he cannot stop a manager/GM taking him but his agent has been planting the seed of doubt and is trying to force his way to the Lakers team, I never said he'd go to Europe I said he can threaten (bluff I never said he'd go to Europe either or that he actually will he is using it as a coercive bluff/say he will go there if you pick me whether teams decide to call it or not who knows) and really that's all he needs to do and what he basically has been doing and that's via coercion if you make somebody doubt it enough or you make it look like you want to go to a team bad enough where you are threatening to basically go to a different continent that's going to make GM's with the higher pick seriously re-think in my opinion or maybe they won't give a darn, to say he's got no leverage is somewhat true because he's not a GM but he is heavily trying to get to the Lakers that much is obvious, the Magic have a good young team (in a few years anyway) so I could see them taking him, I didn't once state he was definitely gone to the Lakers I stated that Exum is definitely trying to get there and that it may worry off GM's from taking him given how much his agent is working to get him there along with the public statements and also that I doubt he'd do all that if someone hadn't given some indication they would take him I think there has to be some indication that the Lakers or someone involved has given some hint they will (I suspect if that can be proven though it's draft tampering or something like that). As I said before I'd be happy with a number of players in the draft but ecstatic with a select four, it doesn't mean i'd be unhappy or upset I'd still be happy with a top 5 pick but not quite as much with a top 3 pick/player. I do see Exum going fourth for most teams I don't see that many teams picking him over Embiid; Parker or Wiggins even with Embiid's back injuries the Magic may be one of the few teams that would want him because they have Vucevic or maybe they'd like to try Vucevic at PF with Embiid as the center with a large lineup who knows I'm not the general manager of the team but from the mindset of a general manager I think there has to be at least some discussion on whether you take a player who badly even via stating publicly along with an agent persuading heavily to get to a specific team that isn't your team whether you actually pick him, given Smart apparently is fairly close to him (but I think most think Exum is higher) they may just pick him because he hasn't done anything to my knowledge like Exum's agent is trying to do. It may do nothing to get him to the Lakers I don't know but I think it's a talking point, executives may not pay one bit of attention to it given if they pick him they have him for 6-7 years at least in all likelihood anyway (or more whatever the usual restricted FA amount of years is).
    Last edited by Lakers91; 04-23-2014 at 11:54 PM.

NBA All-star

It's probably his last contract negotiation. So it isn't just the per dollar amount, but also the length of his contract.

Keep in mind, if you thought Trades were tough to make, imagine how many teams would drool over the opportunity to sign a FA of his caliber.

shhhhhhh

He doesn't really have any leverage to choose his team.
    He actually has tons of leverage or at least more than you think... First he's not working out for teams which usually includes a brief medical exam/discussion so a lot of teams will be hesitant to pull the trigger on a player that they can't get a good look at.

He has a big time agent in Pelinka that teams are wary about going to war with

Draft picks have become the new gold standard teams are not going to burn one if there's even the slightest chance there could be a hiccup, even less of a chance they gamble when there's a draft with as much talent as this one has...

If Exum was like the only good player or one of two then a team might take a flyer at him because there's nothing to lose but when you take a chance on a guy you can't work out or interview over a player that has the same amount of talent that's just bad basketball