Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park TheTruth11's Avatar

Default Re: Jabari Parker will emerge as the best ... according to Mike Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Parker disappeared in the last and most important stretch of the game.....Not trying to argue that he didn't have a great game, but I think it's worth correcting that point.

Comparing a freshman who can put up 20 ppg easily against top competition to James White doesn't show much IQ btw. It's like I said in this or another thread last night, the way people are comparing Wiggins with Parker/Randle you'd think Wiggins is one of those clumsy big men that average 8/10 and are projected lottery picks based PURELY on potential. Ya, Wiggins is rawer, but in case people didn't notice, he scored 22 points on 9/15 shooting whiles missing the last 11 minutes of the first half. I feel like Mugatu when he says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills". lol

It's not about Wiggins being better or having the better pro career. It's the fact that people are seemingly trying to reduce him to the Candy Man....yes, that name was dropped in reference to Wiggins....lol
    You missed the point. I was comparing them "athletically." And keep the conversation mature. There no need for the childish name calling.

As for disappearing, Wiggins failed to appear for a whole half. Just sayin. Parker carried his team on his shoulders for virtually the entire game until he got in foul trouble down the stretch.

Bottom line, both should be really good. I don't believe you can go wrong with either one. But for my money, I rank them like this: 1. Parker, 2. Randle, 3. Wiggins. It will really come down to who is drafting where and team needs.

Last edited by TheTruth11; 11-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby13
    Wiggins' close-out ability is insane. He has the potential to be one of the best defensive players ever with the tools he has. His offensive game is obviously limited right now. Just look at his jumper and his free throw motion. Clunky right now but do you really think he won't improve in that aspect as time moves forward? Right now I think he knows he has a poor jumper, so when he gets a favorable match-up he seems to dish it out because of non-confidence rather than attempt to break his man down. I feel like I've seen the kind of player Parker will be in the NBA. I haven't seen anything close to the kind of player Wiggins will be.
    It was just one game. Too early to tell if he can be an effective closer.

I don't think we have seen Parker before. And if we have, he has a chance to be +2 of almost anyone that you might want to compare him to

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby13
    Wiggins' close-out ability is insane. He has the potential to be one of the best defensive players ever with the tools he has. His offensive game is obviously limited right now. Just look at his jumper and his free throw motion. Clunky right now but do you really think he won't improve in that aspect as time moves forward? Right now I think he knows he has a poor jumper, so when he gets a favorable match-up he seems to dish it out because of non-confidence rather than attempt to break his man down. I feel like I've seen the kind of player Parker will be in the NBA. I haven't seen anything close to the kind of player Wiggins will be.

there's nothing wrong with his motion, he's just doesn't have that great of a jumper yet. Bron and D-Wade didn't at that age either, so it's nothing to be worried about. and his jumper is pretty damn good, he's got a quick release and can get it off against anyone - he's just streaky.

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Right now, Wiggins is extremely raw (great athleticism, but shakey handles, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, limited left hand, mediocre leadership, etc) and doesn't seem to have a Kobe type desire to be the best. I'm sure he'll get bigger as he gets older, and will improve overall, but I just don't see this guy working his butt off to become one of the best ball players ever. When I see him on the court, it looks like he's not even excited to be there.

his ballhandling is really good. not sure what footage you've been watching. and I'm also not sure were you've heard he doesn't work hard, but that's entirely untrue. you're just making wild assumptions based on the fact that he's quiet

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    after 2 games at 18 years old it's impossible to tell and statements like this are just silly

yep. this was all really just a meaningless game in November.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    College is one thing, NBA another.

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).

In terms of pure potential, not just looking at the small sample of college games we have, Wiggins would be the sort of guy that could conceivably lead your franchise to a title down the line, Parker would make it a perennial playoff contender, and Randle would put up stats but keep you in mediocrity.
    Kobe-esqe this is getting silly.

Or Melo-esque, or Crawford-esque, whoever you want. Point is, it was the move of someone with scoring instincts.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    College is one thing, NBA another.

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).

In terms of pure potential, not just looking at the small sample of college games we have, Wiggins would be the sort of guy that could conceivably lead your franchise to a title down the line, Parker would make it a perennial playoff contender, and Randle would put up stats but keep you in mediocrity.

Best post i've seen on these board. Someone find him job in basketball operations.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisGW
    Best post i've seen on these board. Someone find him job in basketball operations.
    Whenever I have seen Parker play (no matter where he plays) he plays like he owns the place. That is the best way to describe it. That is something you can't teach. The great ones have that

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth11
    You missed the point. I was comparing them "athletically." And keep the conversation mature. There no need for the childish name calling.

As for disappearing, Wiggins failed to appear for a whole half. Just sayin. Parker carried his team on his shoulders for virtually the entire game until he got in foul trouble down the stretch.

Bottom line, both should be really good. I don't believe you can go wrong with either one. But for my money, I rank them like this: 1. Parker, 2. Randle, 3. Wiggins. It will really come down to who is drafting where and team needs.

Wiggins sat on the bench for the last 11 minutes due to foul trouble. Parker had 8 pts and Wiggins had 6 at that point. I don't think you understand what I mean by "disappearing". lol

BTW stating that something someone says doesn't show much IQ isn't name calling. Someone who compares athletic scrubs to Wiggins is showing a lack of IQ. If you weren't directly comparing, then that's fine....what you implied by dropping James White and Gerald Green was left very vague is all.
    Last edited by Dolphin; 11-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.

NBA Superstar

lets talk about facts.

Wiggins entered a virtual tie with around five minutes left and his team won by eleven. Wiggins scored much of those points in different manners, including a step back J.

So, the idea he isn't clutch, not a leader etc. is factually incorrect.

Parker did most of his damage when Wiggins was on the bench in the 'second quarter' (aka the last ten minutes of the first half).

His frame can fill out, his skill set will smooth out, but lets be real, his ceiling is at a different level.

When the pressure was on and the game was on the line, Wiggins was better and lead his team to victory.

THAT my friends is all you need to know.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

My honest opinion is this. Parker's ceiling is a 27-30/6/5 type of guy who will be a lights out scorer. That's it.

Wiggins on the other hand? Well he can go as far as he wants to, and become a terrific two way player who is a defensive beast and an offensive juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    My honest opinion is this. Parker's ceiling is a 27-30/6/5 type of guy who will be a lights out scorer. That's it.

Wiggins on the other hand? Well he can go as far as he wants to, and become a terrific two way player who is a defensive beast and an offensive juggernaut.
    I would hope my GM drafts a guy who peaks at 30/6/5 and that's it. lol

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth11
    Whenever I have seen Parker play (no matter where he plays) he plays like he owns the place. That is the best way to describe it. That is something you can't teach. The great ones have that

He owns the place where? not trying to discredit parker he will be a great nba player... but something tells me that you love him so much because he plays like melo or pierce.. if wiggins is not there sure he may be the 1st pick..

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    lets talk about facts.

Wiggins entered a virtual tie with around five minutes left and his team won by eleven. Wiggins scored much of those points in different manners, including a step back J.

So, the idea he isn't clutch, not a leader etc. is factually incorrect.

Parker did most of his damage when Wiggins was on the bench in the 'second quarter' (aka the last ten minutes of the first half).

His frame can fill out, his skill set will smooth out, but lets be real, his ceiling is at a different level.

When the pressure was on and the game was on the line, Wiggins was better and lead his team to victory.

THAT my friends is all you need to know.
    QFT repped

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    It's quite obvious just by watching him on the court and listening to him in interviews. I've been following Kobe since 1995 and even back then it was apparent that he had a burning desire to be the best. I remember in an interview how he talked about how back at Lower Merion, he used to get up at like 5am, workout for a few hours, go to school, then workout again after school (nearly every day). The guy was willing to do whatever it took to be the best and I just don't sense that same drive in Wiggins. The guy doesn't even seem excited to be on the court most of the time and looks like he's just going through the motions.
    from watching interviews with tim duncan, can you tell that he has a burning desire to be the best?

i certainly cant, but things have worked out well for him.