Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Re: Real Talk: How Big of a Reach was Tristan Thompson @ 4?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRapz
    Cleveland you really couldn't have traded down for more assets in return???
    *ucking idiots. They did a good job picking Kyrie at one. Then reverse all that goodness with an stupidity pick. They wanted us to give them Rudy Gay for the 4th pick. They might as well have asked for OJ Mayo, which I think the Grizzlies would have done.

Tristan Thompson who the hell is that?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Bucks were working him out and thinking of 10th spot .. and they had marshon Brooks in twice ...

That should be a perfect example of what this draft was...
    Each team was picking what they wanted , because across the board the players were right on queue (average)

But more vid's I saw of Brooks and Jimmer ( I think those players are going to be more impact role players in the league than most people think)

Obviously the top 3 picks were locks .

-----------------
    Most fans talk it up about players out of high school getting a chance in the pro's :
    A real surprise pick was the Bucks picked 19 a 18 year old college PF that will play SF or PF Tobias Harris.
    July he turns 19 , so the Bucks are in a good place with this pick.
    They might be able to develop him , and keep him on the roster playing down at the Development league , and yet work him up to real time action.
    Sometimes it's better to allow a player develop and yet control his progress , and basically it isn't going to cost the Bucks a ton.

I think this draft was fun , and funny how some teams minpulated spots.

for example Cho of the Bobcats actually from the time he was a Blazer to a Bobcat had traded the 19th pick FOUR TIMES
    Last edited by Jasper; 06-24-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Biased Troll

Tristan Thompson = Tyrus Thomas (also #4 overall)

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    No way....
    I've watched quite a bit of Tristan last year both on TV and live. He's banger and can definitely score on the block. He may not be the rebounder that Z-Bo is and he looks to have a smaller frame, but I wouldn't put it past Tristan to be a legit low post threat with a decent midrange game in a few years. I've liked what I've seen. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Z-Bo, but he's definitely got top 5 potential.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

He will be a top 3 player from this draft I think along with Knight and Williams.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

A pretty big reach, but Irving and him could be a nice combo if Irving isn't a bust.

Although I was hoping to see Thompson to slip to the Suns and stay in Phoenix.

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I've watched quite a bit of Tristan last year both on TV and live. He's banger and can definitely score on the block. He may not be the rebounder that Z-Bo is and he looks to have a smaller frame, but I wouldn't put it past Tristan to be a legit low post threat with a decent midrange game in a few years. I've liked what I've seen. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Z-Bo, but he's definitely got top 5 potential.

thats the one part of his game that is comparable to z-bo, he led the big 12 in offensive rebounds this year iirc

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    thats the one part of his game that is comparable to z-bo, he led the big 12 in offensive rebounds this year iirc
    While he was a very good offensive rebounder, I'm talking about the entire rebounding package, where he was 98th in the nation.

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

He was projected 4-8 and considering who went after him it wasn't a reach. we didn't need him tho

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Hey, I hope he is the next Karl Malone, but I can't help but be disappointed in this pick. He is a young, undersized PF with potential, which is exactly what we have already been developing for the last three years in JJ Hickson. They literally have exactly the same frame.

Now, I know that their games are not all that comparable and that Hickson's offense was slightly ahead of where Thompson's was coming into the league and Thompson's defense is ahead of Hickson's, but with all of the needs that this team has and considering what was on the board, was this really the most logical pick?

The only thing I can figure is that the Cavs were getting some awful news about Valanciunas' contract, because -- from everything I heard -- Chris Grant was incredibly high on him and it is a pick that would have made a lot of sense... Long, athletic, defensive-minded centers are tough to find in this league even if it is a project.

What this tells me for certain is that we will be moving Hickson. If we are able to get maybe a draft pick in 2012 for Hickson, then this was not an awful pick. If we are unable to move him for a valuable piece, however, then I have serious questions.

As much as I was not looking forward to having to wait a year to even see Valanciunas in uniform, I am less looking forward to spending the next several years developing a raw, undersized 4.

But, hey... Hopefully the front office knows more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    its okay man, Lebron set u up for top 5 in the draft for the next decade. U guys will have a chance to pick up another great talent and ruin part of his prime by surrounding him with washed up players.

Its not a great pick. I have a feeling the Morris twins are better and they were mid first round.
    Cavs should have drafted Willliams at 1 and Knight or Walker at 4.
    Said it all along and stand by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper

I think this draft was fun , and funny how some teams manipulated spots.

for example Cho of the Bobcats actually from the time he was a Blazer to a Bobcat had traded the 19th pick FOUR TIMES

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

I keep seeing the T2 comparison, and I don't even see that too much.

I see Amir Johnson more. Can be an excellent defender, half decent rebounder, probably develops a mid J over his career. Not much more.

NBA Superstar

Kid is a crazy athlete, and has a lot of skills that are directly transferable. Cleveland fell in love with him during workouts so they must see something.

Could end up being another Antonio Davis if he pans out.