Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Kevin McHale only has two 40 point games

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    As well as your basketball knowledge is, McHale is going to win a FG% debate. Only Wilt and Shaq Gilmore had high FG% like Kevin did.
    Hayes shot on par with other MVP bigs like Cowens and Willis Reed and played as many minutes as guys like Bob Lanier and Bob McAdoo. McHale isn't over any of them either.
    Willis Reed: 52.3 TS%
    Elvin "the brick" Hayes: 49.1 TS%

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Willis Reed: 52.3 TS%
    Elvin "the brick" Hayes: 49.1 TS%
    That's nice to know. Dave Cowens is 49.9 TS. What is his nickname? Or the other Dave, DeBusschere. 47.2 TS.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Hayes shot on par with other MVP bigs like Cowens and Willis Reed
    That's not saying much, Cowens & Reed were never really known as elite scorers, but Reed was 50 fg% during his prime years. Hayes was consistently around 44-45%.

Reason why Cowens & Reed might be ranked ahead of McHale is because they both won MVPs, something Hayes never won, but I don't think they are that much ahead of McHale on the all-time list like you think. I would rather have McHale as opposed to those guys on my team.

This is maybe a juvenile point, but eveytime we have an all-time draft you always see McHale get drafted by someone, you usually see guys like Cowens, Reed, & Hayes go undrafted. McHale in his prime was just a better two way player than Cowens, Reed, & Hayes. Hayes is the only one who can give you elite defense like McHale does, but on the offensive end McHale is superior just because he is basically unguarded, while Hayes was usually inefficient.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 09-29-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    That's not saying much, Cowens & Reed were never really known as elite scorers, but Reed was 50 fg% during his prime years. Hayes was consistently around 44-45%.

Reason why those guys might be ranked ahead of McHale is because they both won MVPs, something Hayes never won, but I don't think they are that much ahead of McHale on the all-time list like you think. I would rather have McHale as opposed to those guys on my team.

This is maybe a juvenile point, but eveytime we have an all-time draft you always see McHale get drafted by someone, you usually see guys like Cowens, Reed, & Hayes go undrafted. McHale in his prime was just a better two way player than Cowens, Reed, & Hayes. Hayes is the only one who can give you elite defense like McHale does, but on the offensive end McHale is superior just because he is basically unguarded, while Hayes was usually inefficient.
    My gripe with McHale (not personal I don't know the man, but liked him as our coach here in Houston lol.) He's the only player that can get away with so few accolades and get ranked highly. Literally other players get ranked high because they have many accolades.
    He has one All-NBA team.
    Now a guy like Willis Reed gets ranked high with only one but he played in the same era as Wilt, Russell and Kareem. Cut the guy some slack.
    Om the other end McHale was losing spots to Bernard King, Tom Chambers and Alex English on All-NBA squads

I'm actually getting Reed confused with Wes, Wes Unseld has 1 All NBA team.

That's nice to know. Dave Cowens is 49.9 TS. What is his nickname? Or the other Dave, DeBusschere. 47.2 TS.
    Who the hell thinks DeBusschere was a great scorer? He was known for his defense.

My gripe with McHale (not personal I don't know the man, but liked him as our coach here in Houston lol.) He's the only player that can get away with so few accolades and get ranked highly. Literally other players get ranked high because they have many accolades.
    He has one All-NBA team.
    Now a guy like Willis Reed gets ranked high with only one but he played in the same era as Wilt, Russell and Kareem. Cut the guy some slack.
    Om the other end McHale was losing spots to Bernard King, Tom Chambers and Alex English on All-NBA squads
    The man was still a 3x champion, had an incredible peak, made 7 All-star teams, & made the All-Defensive Team 6 times.

I understand a guy like Hayes has more accolades, but as a straight up basketball player, McHale's edge is enough for me to put him over Hayes even if we consider accolades. And I guess Hayes' reputation as a team cancer has something to do with him being ranked lower as well.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

McHale was the top scorer of the 1986 finals and shot like 57% FG. He destroyed Ralph Sampson. If Barkley says he is the best player he ever faced at his position, its gotta count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Who the hell thinks DeBusschere was a great scorer? He was known for his defense.
    I get it. I just wanted to have the 2 Dave's together lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    McHale was the top scorer of the 1986 finals and shot like 57% FG. He destroyed Ralph Sampson. If Barkley says he is the best player he ever faced at his position, its gotta count for something.
    McHale's '86 postseason production is legendary stuff. Probably the best a sidekick has ever performed in a postseason minus '01 Kobe, '17 & '18 KD/Curry (whoever you consider the sidekick, lol), & maybe '20 AD

Barkley is a short 4 man. McHale is 6'10 with long arms and great post moves. That equals disaster lol.

Oh, hell nah. You trying this again, bro?

Come on, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Oh, hell nah. You trying this again, bro?

Come on, man!

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Barkley is a short 4 man. McHale is 6'10 with long arms and great post moves. That equals disaster lol.
    True but Barkley has guarded many other 6'10 ft or taller players but they where stiffs compared to McHale. McHale had the finest post moves ever. Plus he was a great defender and shot blocker. He guarded SFs and PFs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

True but Barkley has guarded many other 6'10 ft or taller players but they where stiffs compared to McHale. McHale had the finest post moves ever. Plus he was a great defender and shot blocker. He guarded SFs and PFs.
    He played center and PF. He may have guarded a sf like Dantley who posted up