Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: i've been a Matthew McCon fan......

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    If McConaughey didn't start starring in character driven roles with quality writing he'd still be known for doing Rom Coms. This is not in any way a knock on his acting. Seems like most people on here can't make that distinction.

You can have a great script ruined by a poor actor. You can't have a great acting performance if the script is a piece of shit.

How is this not being understood?
    Oh it's understood. What you don't seem to understand is that most of the time people get better at what they do the longer they do it.

2014 McConaughey isn't the same as 2004 or 10 years before that for that matter. He's a better and more diversified actor, thus he gets better role.

Your assumption only holds true if you say 2004 McConaughey is the same as in 2014.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Oh it's understood. What you don't seem to understand is that most of the time people get better at what they do the longer they do it.

2014 McConaughey isn't the same as 2004 or 10 years before that for that matter. He's a better and more diversified actor, thus he gets better role.

Your assumption only holds true if you say 2004 McConaughey is the same as in 2014.
    1. Do you really think I don't know that, in fact does anyone actually think like that?

2. I didn't say that though did I. I said he now has a platform to show off his acting ability because of the characters and quality of writing.

3. I didn't say McConaughey is the same as 04 as he is in 14. However he is doing better work.

I can't make this any more simple than I already am.

1. Do you really think I don't know that, in fact does anyone actually think like that?

2. I didn't say that though did I. I said he now has a platform to show off his acting ability because of the characters and quality of writing.

3. I didn't say McConaughey is the same as 04 as he is in 14. However he is doing better work.

I can't make this any more simple than I already am.
    He was known as being the lead in romantic comedies. He's now fortunate that he's playing characters with depth and has some quality dialogue to speak thus being given a chance to show off his acting skills.
    You say "he's now fortunate" like it's something he was almost randomly choosen for. Then you say he now has a chance to show off his acting skills, that senctence along with your post only makes sense if you're assuming he's the same actor/person as he was earlier in his career before the good roles.

He's doing better work now with better scripts because he's a better actor than before, if he didn't become better the really good roles would not become available to him.

College superstar

You say "he's now fortunate" like it's something he was almost randomly choosen for. Then you say he now has a chance to show off his acting skills, that senctence along with your post only makes sense if you're assuming he's the same actor/person as he was earlier in his career before the good roles.

He's doing better work now with better scripts because he's a better actor than before, if he didn't become better the really good roles would not become available to him.
    1. No I say he's fortunate because it's fortunate. There are plenty of great actors who haven't consistently had the good fortune of having a great character and writing to sink their teeth into quite like McConaughey has recently. If I thought it was random, I'd have said random.

2. Yes of course he now has a chance to show of his acting skills because he's fortunate to be playing roles with character depth and quality writing. Which was the first fucking point I made!

3. Again it starts with having a great character and quality writing. He's getting better roles which is why we now see him as a better actor. I didn't once say he was a bad actor. If I did you shouldn't have trouble quoting it.

1. No I say he's fortunate because it's fortunate. There are plenty of great actors who haven't consistently had the good fortune of having a great character and writing to sink their teeth into quite like McConaughey has recently. If I thought it was random, I'd have said random.

2. Yes of course he now has a chance to show of his acting skills because he's fortunate to be playing roles with character depth and quality writing. Which was the first fucking point I made!

3. Again it starts with having a great character and quality writing. He's getting better roles which is why we now see him as a better actor. I didn't once say he was a bad actor. If I did you shouldn't have trouble quoting it.
    He's a better actor, which is why we now see him getting better roles.

Banned

You can have a great script ruined by a poor actor.
    This is true.

You can't have a great acting performance if the script is a piece of shit.
    This is not necessarily true. Yes, it helps immensely to have great writing/direction but I've seen some examples of actors spinning shit into gold. For example- the star wars prequels. Just awful, campy writing, and the worst direction by the money-grubbing Lucas. Pretty much everyone looked like community college acting class rejects... with the exception of maybe Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Sidious in the 3rd. I thought he was fantastic for the most part, especially when juxtaposed with usually good actors who were terrible (Portman, Jackson, McGregor, etc).

It's possible to rise above the material.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Ya'll need to watch Frailty and see the range Matt had back then

College superstar

He's a better actor, which is why we now see him getting better roles.
    And where do these better roles come from Zen?

Or was McConaughey doing these great roles before it was on paper

To Don:

Yes I agree I was painting my stroke a bit too broadly when I said that, however I was specifically talking about McConaughey's recent work (Trying to make people understand where I'm coming from) . They're great stories with excellent dialogue. Some how people are arguing with me because I've said that it's fortunate.
    Last edited by step_back; 03-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.

And where do these better roles come from Zen?

Or was McConaughey doing these great roles before it was on paper

To Don:

Yes I agree I was painting my stroke a bit too broadly when I said that, however I was specifically talking about McConaughey's recent work. They're great stories with excellent dialogue. Some how people are arguing with me because I've said that it's fortunate.
    We must be talking completely above each others head because that doesn't make sense to me, I could be saying that sentence to you given what I'm arguing.

I'm just arguing that the roles he gets now he wasn't offered back when he was doing romantic comedies because he wasn't that good of an actor. Like in other parts of life he got better at it and is now doing better. There where good roles in other movies as well as there is now, back when he was doing those rom choms

What you said sounded to me like: he was always an actor, but he's fortunate (lucky) that now he gets better roles.

College superstar

We must be talking completely above each others head because that doesn't make sense to me, I could be saying that sentence to you given what I'm arguing.

I'm just arguing that the roles he gets now he wasn't offered back when he was doing romantic comedies because he wasn't that good of an actor. Like in other parts of life he got better at it and is now doing better. There where good roles in other movies as well as there is now, back when he was doing those rom choms

What you said sounded to me like: he was always an actor, but he's fortunate (lucky) that now he gets better roles.
    I see where you're coming from. I honestly think when it comes to acting to an Oscar level performance the individual has to have natural talent which they then work on. Part of why I think he's doing great roles now is not because 10 years ago he wasn't a good actor he just wasn't given an opportunity to show case his talent because it didn't require it. That being said Actors will get to a certain age where the types of roles will be more rich in character because often than not the most interesting stories are the ones in which life experiences are involved and that needs time (Age) to happen.

This is why casting calls exist. Also I'm only trying to get people to understand and recognize that it's a fortunate thing to have great dialogue and characters to play. This really isn't a knock on his acting.

Do I think he has improved over time like you have said. Yeah sure I agree with you on that. But I don't see how what I said is wrong either?

P.S Yes I think we have our wires a bit crossed.
    Last edited by step_back; 03-04-2014 at 05:57 PM.