Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: When did slapping hands after every FT become the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    They don't want to cut down on time.

More commercials = more $$$
    But, there are no commercials during boring free throws! The commercials come during time outs and in between quarters.

Wouldn't they want to get to those faster? And make the game more watchable?

I seriously change the channel almost any time someone is fouled because I know it's going to take 5 minutes to have everyone wander around until they line up at the line correctly, have the ref find the ball and throw it to the free-thrower, have him fiddle with the ball for 8-15 seconds (they don't count anymore) then shoot it, have him slap hands with five teammates (and maybe 'shoot' a practice one/throw it back to the ref if the miss comes to them), have the ref wipe down the ball again and then toss it back to the free thrower, repeat the 8-15 second fiddling, then finally shoot and get the game back underway.

I can't stand it.

Actually it's imperative to low five or slap hands after the guy misses a FT as it stands as a vote of confidence from his teammates and results in a morale boost. Don't see how it is a bad move? As for the roots, I remember seeing it done in Volleyball before it became more common in Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    No, it's important. It deepens their bonds. It was shown that teams that were way more physicals towards each other were better in the long run that team that didn't.

The Celtics won 11 straight titles not doing it.

The Lakers won 5 titles in the 80's not doing it.

The Bulls won 6 titles in the 90's not doing it.

And as I pointed out in the initial post, an NBA player actually found that he improved his FT % when he removed it from his pattern.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Actually it's imperative to low five or slap hands after the guy misses a FT as it stands as a vote of confidence from his teammates and results in a morale boost. Don't see how it is a bad move? As for the roots, I remember seeing it done in Volleyball before it became more common in Basketball.
    If these guys wanted to get in the gym and practice shooting FT's they wouldn't need to touch the hands of every teammate on the floor to feel confident.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    blub lbub blub
    Others weren't doing it either. Try again.

I don't know about slapping hands, but huddling at the free throw line is a Dean Smith thing.