Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Derrick Rose/Kyrie Irving Compared (First 11 Games of Their Careers)

I am in no way trying to say Irving will be as good as Rose or better, I'm just making this comparison as a measuring stick...and I can dream right?

Take into consideration that when Rose came into the league and started his first professional game he had just turned 20 years old. He also had a successful first season at Memphis and almost won a championship there.

Irving started his first game at 19 and won't be 20 until late March. Also he played a total of 11 games at the college level.

Rose (11 games over 21 days) Bulls Record: 5-6

MPG: 38.1
    FG%: 48%
    3P%: 38%
    FT%: 85%
    RPG: 4.8
    APG: 5.9
    SPG: 1.1
    TPG: 2.5
    PPG: 19.5

Irving (11 games over 19 days) Cavaliers Record: 5-6

MPG: 27.1
    FT%: 90%
    RPG: 3.0
    APG: 4.8
    SPG: 0.6
    TPG: 3.8
    PPG 17.0
    Last edited by Meticode; 01-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Default Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kyrie Irving (First 11 Games of Their Careers)

The scariest part is that Irving is not even a scoring PG. He is a pure PG in the mold of CP3.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    The scariest part is that Irving is not even a scoring PG. He is a pure PG in the mold of CP3.
    yeah but right now his teammates suck , he has like no one to pass to. I mean antawn jamison is your best option

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    yeah but right now his teammates suck , he has like no one to pass to. I mean antawn jamison is your best option
    This is pretty much spot on. He's required to score more than he would if we had a legit first option player. I suspect that's part of the reason he's turning the ball over so much compared to his assist numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I am in no way trying to say Irving will be as good as Rose or better, I'm just making this comparison as a measuring stick...and I can dream right?

Take into consideration that when Rose came into the league and started his first professional game he had just turned 20 years old. He also had a successful first season at Memphis and almost won a championship there.

Irving started his first game at 19 and won't be 20 until late March. Also he played a total of 11 games at the college level.

[COLOR="Green"]MPG: 38.1[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Green"]TPG: 2.5[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]MPG: 27.1[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Red"]TPG: 3.8[/COLOR]
    PPG 17.0

MPG: 38.1
    TPG: 2.5

MPG: 27.1
    TPG: 3.8
    PPG 17.0
    Rose was a better rookie and it's not even close

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

The turnovers and the minutes stood out the most to me.

Anyway, predicting based on the first 11 games is pretty pointless. I say the biggest thing somebody could look at is the adjustments made between rookie year and end of 3rd year/start of 4th year. Learning curve is easily the most important part of becoming successful in the NBA, not the starting point.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chairman
    He is only 11 games into his career.

Are you saying that Rose was better over his first 11 games? That would make at least a little sense (although not necessarily true).

Personally, I'm hoping that Kyrie becomes more of a playmaking PG and less like Rose in terms of scoring.

As for the rest of my thoughts on this comparison, I'll just post what I said in the other discussion about this...

While they are both natural scorers, they go about it in completely different ways. Rose uses his large frame to bully smaller PGs and, along with his quickness, he can get to the cup virtually whenever he wants unless the defense loads up on him... And, even then he can do it.

Kyrie's game is based more on a smooth playing style, ball handling skills and sliding through a defense as opposed to being physically dominant. I actually think Isiah Thomas really is a more appropriate comparison, just in playing style alone.

Also, I don't think there is any question that Kyrie has a much better shot than Rose. When Rose came into the league, he was pretty damned raw as a jumpshooter. Kyrie's mechanics are incredibly good for a rookie, as is his balance on that jumper. Also, he was a 95-percent free throw shooter in college and approaching 90-percent from the line in the NBA. That alone tells you something.

I think he will remain around 40-percent from behind the arc over the course of his career.

So, I don't think Kyrie is the physical specimen that Derrick Rose is and I don't think he ever will be. His game is based more on skill than athleticism and physicality.

I would also like to think that Kyrie is going to eventually become more of a playmaker than a scorer when the Cavs start accumulating young talent at the SG and SF spots. Right now, he is almost forced to look for his own shot due to the lack of offense on our roster.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Not sure if he can compare to developing like Rose but Irving's got game. That much I know.

Quote Originally Posted by chairman
    That's not the point of the thread, but thanks for your opinion. If you read my whole post I put it as a measuring stick for Irving because I hold Rose in high regard. Although if you compare their numbers side-by-side their first 11 games per 36 minutes, they're pretty much dead on except the fact Irving turns the ball over quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    The turnovers and the minutes stood out the most to me.

Anyway, predicting based on the first 11 games is pretty pointless. I say the biggest thing somebody could look at is the adjustments made between rookie year and end of 3rd year/start of 4th year. Learning curve is easily the most important part of becoming successful in the NBA, not the starting point.
    No one is predicting anything. It's to show you how both players did their first 11 games of their careers that play the same position. That's about it.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

That's not the point of the thread, but thanks for your opinion. If you read my whole post I put it as a measuring stick for Irving because I hold Rose in high regard. Although if you compare their numbers side-by-side their first 11 games per 36 minutes, they're pretty much dead on except the fact Irving turns the ball over quite a bit more.
    And the fact that he is nearly matching him on points, assists and rebounds on considerably less minutes per game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    And the fact that he is nearly matching him on points, assists and rebounds on considerably less minutes per game.
    Per 36 minutes I think they're dead on, I hadn't looked it up or calculated, but Irving would have like maybe 1 more point per game or something like that. but the assists and rebounds would be pretty much exactly the same.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Per 36 minutes I think they're dead on, I hadn't looked it up or calculated, but Irving would have like maybe 1 more point per game or something like that. but the assists and rebounds would be pretty much exactly the same.
    Per 36, he's just as good or better all across the board but his turnovers almost double what Rose had at 4.5 per.

I gots to keep an eye on this kid. Maybe I'll get tickets to see him when comes into town to play against Curry.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

No one is predicting anything. It's to show you how both players did their first 11 games of their careers that play the same position. That's about it.
    Well, you can certainly see where I'm coming from though, right? How many times on ISH have you seen people compare young players to stars when they were young just to make a case for how good they think they'll be. Those comparisons never seem to turn out the way people predict.