Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Was that a lifetime achievement nod for Leo?

I think he has to thank social media trends and meme culture for this win

Did he deserve it this year? Meh maybe. No doubt that the things mentioned above helped a hell of a lot.

Default Re: Was that a lifetime achievement nod for Leo?

He had a much better acting performance in What's Eating Gilbert Drapes, and the Aviator.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 02-29-2016 at 02:37 AM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Never saw the Aviator but I remember back then, people felt he should have won for that. The Revenant was a better performance than Wolf of Wall Street (the acting wasn't complex enough to really result in an Oscar nod and Inception was one that I feel he had a decent chance at). Blood Diamond often got mixed reviews. Those who really know the South African accent said he didn't get it correctly but I've met others who are similar with it and said it was very close to it. I thought he was brilliant in the movie. In terms of raw acting, I think it was my favorite of his. One of his best movies too. I enjoyed it far more than The Revenant.

The complexity of Leo's character in The Revenant makes me feel it was well deserved but long overdue. He should have had 2 or 3 by now. Nicholas Cage having an Oscar while Leo didn't during their earlier days is absolutely absurd. Nicholas Cage was an OK actor in a lot of OK and bad movies. Leo's movies were all at least solid 7.5s/10. He was amazing in Basketball Diaries. One of his most underrated movies. Not Oscar worthy acting, he was still young and learning the ropes. Mark Wahlberg was good in this one too. The only thing we really haven't seen Leo in terms of movies are romantic comedies (doesn't fit his acting at all though) and war movies (this I've always wondered if he can pull it off).
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 02-29-2016 at 09:54 AM.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Revenant was cool but it was no oscar winner

Did this you just throw shade on King Cage?

He definitely deserved that oscar

All that really matters is that Leo's movies do very well and make a lot of money. I know that if I see any movie preview and he is in it, I automatically assume it is going to be a very good movie because he doesn't waste his time with junk.

Some people think he is overrated, but go see even his earliest movies like the Basketball Diaries or What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He is one of the most talented actors in history.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    I think he has to thank social media trends and meme culture for this win
    Do you think Academy Awards voters are actually aware of meme culture?

You basically get to be an Academy voter by having your career in movies recognized and you are appointed for life thus the average age of an Academy voter is 63.

Danny Trejo from "Machete" just got to be a voter three years ago. Danny Trejo is 71 years old.

I'm down with HRC

Also I think if he wasn't playing such a gleefully loathsome character in Wolf of Wall Street, he would have won. His physical acting in that was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by FillJackson
    Do you think Academy Awards voters are actually aware of meme culture?

You basically get to be an Academy voter by having your career in movies recognized and you are appointed for life thus the average age of an Academy voter is 63.

Danny Trejo from "Machete" just got to be a voter three years ago. Danny Trejo is 71 years old.
    Did you watch the show last night? The whole thing was a Social Justice Warrior circlejerk

Social Media most definitely plays a role in these things

It's just another extended form of reception

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

It's not my favorite Leo performance, but it was excellent. The real reason it wasn't a lifetime award though was because it wasn't a great field this year. Not enough people saw The Danish Girl or Jobs, both of which I heard those guys were excellent in, although not to the point of being good enough where I felt compelled to go see either, and I go to a lot of movies, and Trumbo just wasn't well received enough. And while I seemed to like The Martian more than most, and thought Damon was better than the general belief (again, probably because I read the book and thought he was pretty spot on to the character, although I wasn't as that crazy about the character), there really wasn't a real challenger to Leo this year.

It's a little like Scorcese's best picture. That often gets called a lifetime achievement award. And it's true that it's probably not even a top five Scorcese flick, however Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen, and Letters from Iwo Jima were the competition. Babel and LMS were good movies. But nothing there was particularly memorable.

Just to clarify

I think he deserved the win just based on this year alone

But I do think that social media certainly helped

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Fassbender >>>>

I haven't seen Steve Jobs yet but I already know he did better in that than Leo has done in any movie.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Did you watch the show last night? The whole thing was a Social Justice Warrior circlejerk

Social Media most definitely plays a role in these things

It's just another extended form of reception
    The folks who put on the show is not the same population as the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Fassbender >>>>

I haven't seen Steve Jobs yet but I already know he did better in that than Leo has done in any movie.

I'm down with HRC

Also, I'm older than most folks here, but still way younger than Academy voters and I have some credits on imdb, and I don't know the memes you referring to.
    Last edited by FillJackson; 02-29-2016 at 11:13 AM.