Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 3 Catholic Priests, teacher Charged with sexually abusing boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i understand the sentiment that a self-identifying Christian wouldn't want to be put in the same category as these guys. it's the same sentiment that makes a rational ideologue disassociate from his more radical brethren. but there comes a point, reached through sheer frequency, where the institution itself has to share in the blame. clearly these aren't isolated incidents based on extraordinary circumstances. to a certain extent while still refraining from totally overt generalization, they've actually become expected incidents based on ordinary circumstances. human beings have a strong sex drive, and the deprivation of such a basic human function on religious grounds leads to deviant and oftentimes immoral sexual behavior, in almost all cases but those featuring the most strident individual will power. it's a damn shame that the good of Christianity, exactly what is meant when anybody is referred to as a 'good Christian', has to be conflated with these totally antiquated rituals that have lost all of their sensibility in the modern world.

They don't have to be connected. You choose to.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
They don't have to be connected. You choose to.
that's naive, brosh. much as you may wish it to be the case, we aren't minds in a vacuum deciding on what is in our best interests. we're complicated -- nay, completely f*cked up -- organisms who make as much sense of our reality as we can. the decision making process for anything, but especially for something as fundamental as religious beliefs impeding practical action, is subject to all kinds of environmental factors, the most of which we aren't even aware.

huh... i wrote that, reread it, and sort of disagreed with it. you're right, there's definitely a whole lot of personal responsibility involved, and no excuse can be made for violating a child. these guys are scumbags. nevertheless, they're scumbags who were aided and abetted by an institution that has a history of provoking this sort of action, even if that mere provocation requires individual assent to amount to anything. so i stand by the fact that the institution warrants criticism, and not just on ideological grounds, but on practical real life impact grounds too. not everything can be chocked up to reprimanding an individual for making a bad decision.

you got me talking in circles with nine words. nicely done.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #33
chungerball
High School JV MVP

chungerball has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
I bet you can't give me a legit reason on why you would rather worship Zeus than become a catholic.

Douchebag.....
chungerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #34
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
that's naive, brosh. much as you may wish it to be the case, we aren't minds in a vacuum deciding on what is in our best interests. we're complicated -- nay, completely f*cked up -- organisms who make as much sense of our reality as we can. the decision making process for anything, but especially for something as fundamental as religious beliefs impeding practical action, is subject to all kinds of environmental factors, the most of which we aren't even aware.

huh... i wrote that, reread it, and sort of disagreed with it. you're right, there's definitely a whole lot of personal responsibility involved, and no excuse can be made for violating a child. these guys are scumbags. nevertheless, they're scumbags who were aided and abetted by an institution that has a history of provoking this sort of action, even if that mere provocation requires individual assent to amount to anything. so i stand by the fact that the institution warrants criticism, and not just on ideological grounds, but on practical real life impact grounds too. not everything can be chocked up to reprimanding an individual for making a bad decision.

you got me talking in circles with nine words. nicely done.

My point is generalizing to the extent you have is as lazy as abusing children is wrong.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

sweeping generalization is to generalization as the priest touching your nephew's wee wee is to the doctor touching your nephew's wee wee. i didn't sweep and the proofs a few posts up. but even i can't keep punching out paragraphs in response to one liners, so that's all i've got.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #36
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Quote:
sweeping generalization is to generalization as the priest touching your nephew's wee wee is to the doctor touching your nephew's wee wee. i didn't sweep and the proofs a few posts up. but even i can't keep punching out paragraphs in response to one liners, so that's all i've got.

I don't want paragraph length responses. Just admit condemning an entire institution is lazy. Laziness leads to inaccuracies, which leads to ignorance.

Just as those followers who weren't given these stats back in the day or those who still choose not to face facts (embarrassment or whatever) are ignorant.

Last edited by Dolphin : 02-12-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #37
vinsane01
National High School Star

vinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

I find it weird that they are arrested for child rape, and the guy in the first picture is smiling about it.. unless this is a picture from another time.. but what is going on with egor in the last picture?

I didnt even notice that. Is that really their mugshots? If it is then wtf is he thinking? Its like he doesnt even care.

The sad thing about it is nobody is surprised to hear about these type of crime committed by priests. Most people's reaction is "meh, another one?" or something like that.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #38
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Just admit condemning an entire institution is lazy.
lol, if that's what you want, you can have it. go reread my post. i actually went to lengths not to generalize and condemn the entire institution. hell, my last sentence gives credit where credit is due; the good Christian is a moral person, and the Catholic Church still spends time disseminating messages that lead to 'good' Christianity. i did say that at some point, you've got to blame the institution to a certain extent. i doubt you can find much fault in that conclusion.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #39
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me

Grafbag has an OK reputation so far

Catholic priests molest little boys. In other news, nitrogen discovered in earths atmosphere.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

guy on the bottom far right in def guilty.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

JohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

sterotypical
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #42
Colin Cowherd
winning team=fav team

Colin Cowherd is starting to rub some people the wrong way

SHUT UP, John Wall.

You know how I feel about you
Colin Cowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #43
LilBTheBasedGod

Anything outside Sola Scriptura makes no sense to me. Catholocism makes up their own rules like the Pharisees did. There is no reason to suggest that a priest cannot marry a woman.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Those fucking scum bags should be executed if they're guilty. There's no place in this world for trash like that.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: