Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Will the NBA ever be as intense as this???

The most glaring thing that sticks out from that game is the lack of spacing when compared to today's era. Without the emphasis on the 3, the spacing wasn't nearly as good as it is today. You can call it somewhat primitive when compared to today's game but you can counter that with saying that today's players lack fundamental, post games. So both games had something lacking. I don't think there is a right or wrong, just a result of what rules were being enforced and how the league adapted to take advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Inches
    Dat BBIQ at the end
    Philly players were sniffed too much coke at HT
    all players were exhausted. It's like saying "that BBIQ" in the heat-spurs series in '13. Just an emotional heavily contested series, at the end of close PO games people make mistakes.

It must have been just the worst going up against Darryl Dawkins. Too fvcking massive and the most athletic guy on the floor :

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    at least I got to see some of that type of play live, so I know how you feeling.
    These kids don't know shit about heart because the game was changed to cater to this corporate america instead of real americans. That's why it's a sport with great skill/finesse today (imo overall better than 80s/90s/00s) but with no heart.

Lebron is a great example for today's situation: all the tools without the heart .. when he puts heart in it (2009/2010/2012/2013/2015 playoffs and finals) you can really justify putting him there next to magic/jordan.

Also because the league is all entertainment you get teams with no real identities, so you can't get real rivalries, case in point memphis vs clippers ... a sorry ass rivalry... shit, i like the curry-lebron fam rivalry more, if you'd make it like in the 80s and let these homeless dudes with 3548 alts to be able to get in the arenas you'd get great atmosphere tbh
    These days they use amplifiers for the silicon valley sissies, I mean these people don't even properly cheer for a 70+ win team, just soccer moms and corporate drones in the arenas Seen 'em with my own eyes just creeping in the arenas throughout the last 15-20 years. You get just a bunch of dumbass bandwagoners who don't know shit about the game. Frontrunners. Add in the chinese market and the stat junkies who ain't ever seen or played the game and you get hilariously sad outcomes such as kobe allstar, cousins allstar, harden MVP and so on.

A bitchmade sport for a bitchmade audience.. we need to accept it. Any 35+ man should know what i'm talking about.

Great video

You are resorting to intangibles to prove your bs argument. Who are you to question the "heart"of players like lebron who is one of the goats. You don't know him as a person to say that. And you seem salty so maybe just stop watching. There are many who love the game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    The most glaring thing that sticks out from that game is the lack of spacing when compared to today's era. Without the emphasis on the 3, the spacing wasn't nearly as good as it is today. You can call it somewhat primitive when compared to today's game but you can counter that with saying that today's players lack fundamental, post games. So both games had something lacking. I don't think there is a right or wrong, just a result of what rules were being enforced and how the league adapted to take advantage of them.
    these 80s teams were shooting the midrange better than teams today. If they would've played today they would probably defend by overloading the perimiter and forced today's teams to beat them from midrange .. in today's league that's not a bad bet.

Local High School Star

Actually the 80's in an ironic way KILLED the NBA for future generations.

That decade was so good the NBA got recognized globally for the first time, added 6 expansion teams in 6 years, players salaries SKYROCKETED, the Jordan phenomenon brought the focus to the smaller guard position in a way that EVERYBODY and their mother wanted to play a perimeter wide open style like MJ, the league realized their only way to compete with NFL/MLB was through their individual superstars so it altered and softened the rules to cater to them accordingly, the high school to the NBA boom, focus on athleticism instead of fundamentals, etc...

The 80's were the best while it was happening and the worst thing that happened to the NBA when it ended!

Quote Originally Posted by LAKingKobe
    You are resorting to intangibles to prove your bs argument. Who are you to question the "heart"of players like lebron who is one of the goats. You don't know him as a person to say that. And you seem salty so maybe just stop watching. There are many who love the game right now.
    lol you really picked lebron for heart:
    how about not working hard on D for entire series
    how about quitting in 2011
    how about quitting in that boston series in '10
    how about not working on his game (fcking FREEthrows tbh) .. not to mention jumper, post, etc
    how about deciding to quit when he saw wade would've gotten FMVP

cmon son wtf, if lebron had half of jordan's heart he would've been running for the GOAT.

these 80s teams were shooting the midrange better than teams today. If they would've played today they would probably defend by overloading the perimiter and forced today's teams to beat them from midrange .. in today's league that's not a bad bet.
    I would say that in terms of PURE bball fundamentals, the 80's was better. Why? Because they had to be. With the lack of spacing, the footwork, post play and mid-range game had to be on POINT to be efficient.

Today's game is too specialized and that creates specialized players. 3&D or stretch 4 or P&R big, etc. Guys back then were more well rounded out of necessity. Today, the league wants specialization so that's what they are getting. The 3 is such a huge part of the game, every position from 1-5 wants to get good at it. That is ignoring the crucial postgame and mid-range game.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Actually the 80's in an ironic way KILLED the NBA for future generations.

That decade was so good the NBA got recognized globally for the first time, added 6 expansion teams in 6 years, players salaries SKYROCKETED, the Jordan phenomenon brought the focus to the smaller guard position in a way that EVERYBODY and their mother wanted to play a perimeter wide open style like MJ, the league realized their only way to compete with NFL/MLB was through their individual superstars so it altered and softened the rules to cater to them accordingly, the high school to the NBA boom, focus on athleticism instead of fundamentals, etc...

The 80's were the best while it was happening and the worst thing that happened to the NBA when it ended!

Learning to shoot layups

how about not working on his game (fcking FREEthrows tbh) .. not to mention jumper, post, etc

cmon son wtf, if lebron had half of jordan's heart he would've been running for the GOAT.
    I am not going to attempt to explain why those things happened because I don't know and I certainly won't condemn him as having a soft style or weak heart because of that

Learning to shoot layups

And you are exaggerating. Quitting because wade would win fmvp? Go jump off a cliff if that's your logic.

Local High School Star

People forget, the 3 point line was put in just a year earlier!!! Yet teams like the Celtics and Sixers didn't have any trouble scoring efficiently in the 105-110's range night in night out. The spacing back then came from double teams in the post, and like clipper revival mentioned, players didn't think twice about taking the open 18 to 20 footer which were layups for most of those guys. Not to mentioned they developed QUICKER than the modern 3 point plays.

By the same token, take the 3 point line away next season in the NBA, with the lack of post play, no mid range game and score first PG's who can't lead a fast break to save their lives, how many ppg would the league average would plummet? 90ppg, 85ppg or 80ppg?!?! Even with the focus on 3 pointers, today's teams still struggle to break 100ppg!

The supposed "modern spacing" is nothing more than teams moving the ball around 25 feet away from the basket because they had no viable options in the post or in the mid range. Pointless spacing would be a more appropriate term!

And before I forget, THERE ARE NO MORE RIVARLRIES!!!

Showtime80's melting down ITT because of the Harlem Globetrotter defense being played.

Bird, who is supposedly a significantly better player than LeBron and has the heart of lion has ONE ring more, while playing on significantly more stacked teams.
    Last edited by aj1987; 02-03-2016 at 02:49 PM.

at least I got to see some of that type of play live, so I know how you feeling.
    These kids don't know shit about heart because the game was changed to cater to this corporate america instead of real americans. That's why it's a sport with great skill/finesse today (imo overall better than 80s/90s/00s) but with no heart.

Lebron is a great example for today's situation: all the tools without the heart .. when he puts heart in it (2009/2010/2012/2013/2015 playoffs and finals) you can really justify putting him there next to magic/jordan.

Also because the league is all entertainment you get teams with no real identities, so you can't get real rivalries, case in point memphis vs clippers ... a sorry ass rivalry... shit, i like the curry-lebron fam rivalry more, if you'd make it like in the 80s and let these homeless dudes with 3548 alts to be able to get in the arenas you'd get great atmosphere tbh
    These days they use amplifiers for the silicon valley sissies, I mean these people don't even properly cheer for a 70+ win team, just soccer moms and corporate drones in the arenas Seen 'em with my own eyes just creeping in the arenas throughout the last 15-20 years. You get just a bunch of dumbass bandwagoners who don't know shit about the game. Frontrunners. Add in the chinese market and the stat junkies who ain't ever seen or played the game and you get hilariously sad outcomes such as kobe allstar, cousins allstar, harden MVP and so on.

A bitchmade sport for a bitchmade audience.. we need to accept it. Any 35+ man should know what i'm talking about.

Great video

( puts Anthrax Killer Bees cassette inside Sony Boom Box..pushes play..it clicks)

MOTHER **** YEAH!!!!!!...THIS and THIS and THIS!!!!...MOTHER ****ERS!!!!!

WHOS CUTTIN ONIONS UP THIS MUTHA!!!

80's basketball.........THE MUTHIN STUMPIN GAME WAS PLAYED WITH HEART!

- EAST COAST VS WEST COAST...Lakers Vs Celtics......**** THE CELTICS ...**** LARRY BIRDs non Dunkin AZZ...

- Best Believe If I see that ugly azz green starter jacket on the court I'm Bustin that azz..

- Teams had Identities....people sided and drew lines in the sand.....today those lines have been washed away with " Brands and Colluding"

While I will say the game today has more skilled players......and it is played at a higher level Offensively and defensively.....it lost alot of Heart and soul along the way......

- Give me clothes lines over flopping

- Give me Larry bird vs Magic Johnson...White vs Black...Lakers vs Celtics....rather then....." we go way back to AAU ..we all played AAU....we got the same agent.... I would love to play together on the same team"

- Give me Michael Jordan crying because he lost to the Pistons....and vowing to come back

- Give me the Washington Bullets.....Cocaine and Michael Jackson.....while it wasn't always right...it damn sure felt real.

I also dearly miss the heated rivalries that were made out of physicality. All this superstar players hanging out in the summer stuff is lame. Back in the days, they didn't do that. They were enemies. And when they stepped on the court, it was on. The rules today are way too soft. I think most people can agree with this. You have to let these guys play a little.

It's just more exciting to watch bball when you know two teams HATE each other and will do whatever it takes to win. It's great to see a good scuffle once in a while. It's entertaining.