Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Yao Ming retires from the NBA

For the part that he has never achieved for the bigger things for the Rockets rather than reaching the second round in the playoff, you can blame that on T-Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    Why sad? Look at your avy. He is happy!!
    at least he will go down as a meme

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    Howard in his 2nd year was better than Yao? Really? Because I watched a lot of ball back then and never heard anyone saying he was better. Sure, they were compared, but anyone could tell that Dwight didn't have the moves to compete with Yao. Dwight wasn't on some elite level defensively back then either..
    Dwight was better defensively, on the bds and, while he didn't have the jumperthat Yao had, jumper is basically all Yao has on Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    You can't be serious about Amar'e. Sure, he was the best PF for a short period of time, but never the best C. That's a fact. He was(and still is) a black hole on defense and has never been able to pass like Yao. Didn't have the footwork...couldn't shoot like him. His game is strictly power and athleticism-based. Nothing wrong with that, but not worthy of a best C in teh game title. That goes to real centers...you know, guys who are actually interested in playing defense and rebounding.
    Amare was never the best C, neither was Yao, went from Shaq to Dwight. But healthy Amare was always > healthy Yao.

This Amare on D may be a "black hole" but Yao was a tunrstile. He didn't move his feet, he wasn't fast enough to guard anyone. he could block shots, but so can amare. I honestly don't see the difference between the two in that area.

I'm really surprised to see this. I figured if he didn't retire last year or the year before he'd give it a go again. I guess his recovery didn't go they planned.

I really was expecting him to go to a team on a one year deal this summer and have a really strong bounce back year. I think he was probably planning on tht but he probably didn't heal enough and needed another surgery or something and just said "f##k it"

Banned

Sucks to see him finally go but it's best for his healthy and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    it's the best for him and for the Rockets. Sad to see him go, truly one of the genuine good guys in the league.

Why would you say that? Cause he looks that way? He is one of the most arrogant douchebags I have ever met, genuine "good guy".

Dont read a book by its cover guys.

Yao as a bust:

Yao #1 pick

Yao made over 100million playing basketball in 8 seasons

BUT
    Yao, in 8 seasons, played 60+ games in 4 OF THE SEASONS

Yao was never the best at a slim position

In 8 seasons, made the 2nd round 1 time

In 8 seasons averaged 10 bds 2 times

If you asked Hou what they wanted in 2002 it would not have been 7 1st round exits, with 4 heatlhy seasons with good center production at $100mill.

(and I'll throw in because it riles people up - not the best from his draft calss)

Not an olowakandi/Kwame Brown/Darko level bust, but still a bust...on a level like Bogut/Oden (If he were healthy, oh boy would we be good).
    Last edited by Joey Zaza; 07-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Learning to shoot layups Amare4lyfe's Avatar

Wow. I'm reading Joey Zaza posts. Yao is a bust? What are you smoking.
    I nominate Joey as the dumbass poster of the year.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

If you ask Houston I'm sure they enjoyed having a guy that was a threat to go 20/10 every night. Shit even 18/8 is something that no team is gonna go "no thanks." They also prob enjoyed the increased revenue from gaining millions more fans from China.

Actually if you ask every team. The only issue was not being able to stay on the court. But I don't remember any mad expectations that he was gonna win multiple MVP's and lead Houston to tons of championships.

What they did get was one of the top-2 centers when healthy. The only weight that your argument holds is that he couldn't stay on the court. Then you should say "the end"

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

For me this is terribly sad news. It's a shame to see such a bright career be derailed year after year. Chuck Hayes is a family friend so I followed the Rockets pretty closely once he got into the league and watching Yao was a joy.

That said I have been saying all year that he should retire. I'm glad he did, for his personal future. Ask Bill Walton, and I'm sure he might say something similar.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza

(and I'll throw in because it riles people up - not the best from his draft calss)

Not an olowakandi/Kwame Brown/Darko level bust, but still a bust.
    The only guys that turned out to be a better all around package are Amare and Boozer, who went 9th and 35th. Maybe there is a small case for Scola, Nene or Caron Butler. But that

Quote Originally Posted by Amare4lyfe
    I nominate Joey as the dumbass poster of the year.
    Its an honor just to be nominated. And I'd like to thank Yao, who carries his overration (word?) into retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    If you ask Houston I'm sure they enjoyed having a guy that was a threat to go 20/10 every night. Shit even 18/8 is something that no team is gonna go "no thanks." They also prob enjoyed the increased revenue from gaining millions more fans from China.
    I am sure...every team needs a B+/A- center...which is what Yao was. We just don't need to use a #1 pick or $100,000,000 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Actually if you ask every team. The only issue was not being able to stay on the court.
    But that's the issue...Oden would be great for Port. Bogut would be great for Mil. They aren't...they are busts. Now if they come back and give us 5 or 6 seasons of 70ish games of effective play, they can lost that moniker, but as long as they are using up space, and hope, and not playing -- they are busts.

To sum, they are not helping their team to the level their salary or draft place deserves....which is what a bust is.

You've obviously never seen Yao play if you don't think he was an above average defender, Rockets was one of the best defensive teams a few years ago mostly due to him...

If NBA.com didn't remove most of their content off their site I would show you the article near the end of the 08-09 season where Yao was ranked 2nd for DPOY after Dwight Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    You've obviously never seen Yao play if you don't think he was an above average defender, Rockets was one of the best defensive teams a few years ago mostly due to him... .
    Seemed stiff and slow to me. He was tall so he could block shots and against other big stiffs he was heLL defensively. Agaisnt mobile centers, he was lost. People used to criticize Shaq for not showing on the p/r, Yao majored in dropping off on the p/r.

What a waste...