Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No Progression in Extension Talks Between Kawhi and Spurs

As Kawhi Leonard holds firm on his desire for a maximum contract, extension talks with the San Antonio Spurs have failed to gather traction despite a looming Friday deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Leonard, the 2014 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player, would become a restricted free agent in July without an extension agreement by midnight Oct. 31 – the deadline for eligible extensions for the NBA's draft class of 2011.

Spurs president and general manager R.C. Buford and agent Brian Elfus have had several discussions in recent weeks, but no progress has been made, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Leonard, 23, is considered one of the NBA's rising young stars, and multiple league executives told Yahoo Sports he'll command a max offer sheet on the market next summer. The Spurs would assuredly match a sheet and retain Leonard, but there remains the risk of Leonard signing a similar offer sheet to Dallas Mavericks forward Chandler Parsons.

Parsons signed a three-year, $46 million offer sheet that included a player option on the third year. This way, Leonard could become an unrestricted free agent and potentially leave the Spurs in 2017.

San Antonio could sign Leonard to a five-year, $90 million-plus extension now, if the Spurs were willing to make him their designated player. San Antonio could also negotiate a four-year deal at the maximum contract level – or below – before the Friday deadline. As a restricted free agent next summer, the Spurs could also sign Leonard to a five-year extension at or below the maximum contract level.

Leonard has missed the preseason with an eye infection and is unlikely to be in the lineup on Tuesday for the Spurs opening night game against Dallas.

Leonard averaged 12.8 points, 6.2 rebounds, two assists and 1.7 steals a game in 29 minutes in the 2013-14 season. He averaged 14.3 points in the playoffs on the Spurs' way to the NBA title and a Finals MVP performance.

Leonard was the second-youngest NBA Finals MVP in history, only behind Magic Johnson.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...050509203.html

--

Should the Spurs hold out till next season? Should they sign him now even with his potentially damaging injuries? Is he even a max player?
    Last edited by T_L_P; 10-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: No Progression in Extension Talks Between Kawhi and Spurs

The article says he's restricted next season, right? So the worst case scenario is that he signs an offer sheet which they have the right to match. That's not that bad. IF he won't agree to a deal they like the ball is still in their court.

Serious playground baller

Kawhi would be stupid not to stay on the Spurs. No, he is not worth a max contract. He is a very good player but the system hes in makes him better because they cover his weaknesses perfectly.

If Kawhi were to be signed by a team by let's say the Suns, or the 76ers he wouldn't be worth near the max deal at all. What would those teams be stuck with? A slightly better Iman Shumpert.
    Last edited by Fowl; 10-27-2014 at 02:37 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Lol at all these average to slightly above average NBA players wanting max deals.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl
    Kawhi would be stupid not to stay on the Spurs. No, he is not worth a max contract. He is a very good player but the system hes in makes him better because they cover his weaknesses perfectly.

If Kawhi were to be signed by a team by let's say the Suns, or the 76ers he wouldn't be worth near the max deal at all. What would those teams be stuck with? A slightly better Iman Shumpert.
    1: Leonard is a lot better than Iman Shumpert.

2: There is nothing stupid about signing a contract for the max. I am not sure whether or not a team would offer him the max but if someone is willing to then there's a lot more of an argument to be made that he would be stupid for not signing the max.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl

agree. and i'll add that they'd be stuck with an Iman Shumpert with a chip on his shoulder and jacking up shots to try and justify his max deal. Even worse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

He's crazy and the Spurs would be crazy to give him a max extension. Everyone is talking all this nonsense that he's going to be a star player (he never is), so lets see if this comes to fruition. There is no reason for them to feel pressured into giving him an extension at this point though. It would be amusing if he started to try and show he's a max player and screw up the Spurs rhythm.

Leonard averaged 12.8 points, 6.2 rebounds, two assists and 1.7 steals a game in 29 minutes in the 2013-14 season. He averaged 14.3 points in the playoffs on the Spurs' way to the NBA title and a Finals MVP performance.

I dunno how he thinks he is a max player for doing that last season. The Finals MVP is obviously going to his head.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 10-27-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Kawhi's a really good kid, but I could legitimately see him throwing a hissy fit this season if he doesn't get paid (ala Parsons).

I want to see him play one more season until we give him the max. Sure, in this current climate where Parsons and Klay can get max deals, Kawhi deserves one too. But until I see him become the clear number 2 on offense, I'm a bit hesitant. I don't trust his knees either. And, when we inevitably go into rebuilding mode post Duncan/Manu/Parker/Pop, I would not want a non-franchise player making max money (the worst thing any rebuilding team can do imo).

I don't know enough about the new cap to speak on this accurately though. 18M in a few years could be 2005's 13M, which is basically what Manu and Tony made.

Banned

That's the problem when the entire world hypes up a role player as 'outplaying LeBron', it boosts his self confidence to unattainable levels, and the player thinks he's better than he really is.

This overrating of Kawhi probably makes him think he's more than a role player

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    1: Leonard is a lot better than Iman Shumpert.

2: There is nothing stupid about signing a contract for the max. I am not sure whether or not a team would offer him the max but if someone is willing to then there's a lot more of an argument to be made that he would be stupid for not signing the max.
    You'd be surprised how similar they are. Kawhi does have length on his side, but Iman is a better playmaker and he is more atheltic than Kawhi.

They both have very similar defensive stats even with Kawhi being longer than Iman. Iman can guard 1-3. I'm not sure if Kawhi is as good at keeping up with 1s as Iman.

On the Spurs, Kawhi isn't the guy putting the ball on the floor and making something happen. The system gets him the ball where he wants it and his job is to make something with what hes given.

Iman Shumpert on the Knicks is often times relied on to play the Point Guard position especially when playing PGs like Damian Lilliard and Russell Westbrook.

And let's not forget Iman is a year younger.

Kawhi was very fortunate to be drafted and developed by the Spurs, and if he doesn't show any loyalty to what they have done to him and his career then he is dumb.

If it weren't for the Spurs he wouldn't be in position to be demanding a Max Deal, he would most likely be making less than what the Spurs are offering now.

College superstar

You guys are delirious.

Kawhi is absolutely worth the max and SAS should have given it to him.

We are talking about a 4 yr max of ~62M right?

Kawhi not only won the FMVP but he led the team is WS during the regular season and was the best player on the Spurs all year. The Spurs utilize their bench unlike any team in the league and LOL at counting that against him. He was the best player on the best team last year. And he was close to that previous year. We are talking about a 22 year old who works hard as hell and would easily be the best player on a great many teams.

The risk isn't him signing a 4 yr max deal somewhere else. Its that he signs a 2 yr deal with a player option on the third year (like Parsons did). Then when the tax line goes from 76M to 110M+ (the league min salary will be ~20M higher than the salary cap now) he will be 24, an UFA and out on the open market where he will be getting a 4/90+ deal. And thats if his usage doesn't increase, his play doesn't improve, etc.

Times are a changing. Players will be making ~50% more than they were last year in the coming years. Those of you that say he doesn't deserve it are basically saying that Tiago Splitter, who signed a 9M/ deal after his dreadful Finals last year is a similar calibur player. Its a dumb position and you need to catch up on just how much the league is changing.

You are all just too slow to react to the rapidly changing financial structure of the league. Both GSW and SAS would be fools to not sign their respective young stars to 4 yr max deals. Now if one or both are holding out for a 5 yr supermax, well that I would get. But I haven't heard anything from either camp about that.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    You guys are delirious.

No, no he's not. STFU.

The only reason that he might be "worth" that as of right now... for this year... is because of the looming potential for the capsize to explode next year.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

If Gordon Hayward is worth the max then so is Kawhi.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    You guys are delirious.

We are talking about a 4 yr max of ~62M right?

Kawhi not only won the FMVP but he led the team is WS during the regular season and was the best player on the Spurs all year. The Spurs utilize their bench unlike any team in the league and LOL at counting that against him. He was the best player on the best team last year. And he was close to that previous year. We are talking about a 22 year old who works hard as hell and would easily be the best player on a great many teams.

The risk isn't him signing a 4 yr max deal somewhere else. Its that he signs a 2 yr deal with a player option on the third year (like Parsons did). Then when the tax line goes from 76M to 110M+ (the league min salary will be ~20M higher than the salary cap now) he will be 24, an UFA and out on the open market where he will be getting a 4/90+ deal. And thats if his usage doesn't increase, his play doesn't improve, etc.

Times are a changing. Players will be making ~50% more than they were last year in the coming years. Those of you that say he doesn't deserve it are basically saying that Tiago Splitter, who signed a 9M/ deal after his dreadful Finals last year is a similar calibur player. Its a dumb position and you need to catch up on just how much the league is changing.

You are all just too slow to react to the rapidly changing financial structure of the league. Both GSW and SAS would be fools to not sign their respective young stars to 4 yr max deals. Now if one or both are holding out for a 5 yr supermax, well that I would get. But I haven't heard anything from either camp about that.
    Leonard was not the best player on the Spurs last year - nor was he close to the best player the year before. And unless you haven't been paying attention, he doesn't come off the bench - he's a starter.

2013-14 regular season
    Parker 16.7 pts / 5.7 asst
    Duncan 15.1 pts / 9.7 rebs / 3 asst
    Leonard 12.8 pts / 6.2 rebs / 2 asst

2012-13 regular season
    Parker 20.3 pts / 7.6 asst
    Duncan 17.8 pts / 9.9 rebs / 2.7 asst / 2.7 blks
    Leonard 11.9 pts / 6 rebs / 1.6 asst / 1.7 stl

I do agree with the danger regarding him getting offered a short contract. Spurs need to lock him up for as long as possible, but I see their dilemma as he has not proven that he can carry a team during the regular season. They are very careful with their money, and a max contract is a lot to pay for someone who hasn't proven anything outside of the NBA Finals.

The way I see it - Spurs don't have a choice - they have no way to get a comparable player and he's done everything they've asked of him. It's not his fault that Pop plays him less than 30 minutes a game and hasn't integrated him more into the offense so that he can prove himself. I only hope there's enough left over to re-up Green.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

He is better than durant. He has a ring and finals mvp something durant never had.