Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do people enjoy shooting around?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm also surprised by how many of you guys are able to play with music. If you use headphones, how do they stay in while you shoot? If not headphones, how else do you supply music? On rare occasions when I was much younger, I remember lugging my boombox to the court in my front yard, but that was about it.
    I can't play with headphones. I bring a battery-powered iPod dock. If other people come by they like the music anyway.

Learning to shoot layups

When you play with headphones, you are encoding your successful muscle and neuronal memory to the state you are in (aka listening to music). When you play an actual game, without music, your recall of the abilities and decisions you make won't be as good as if you practiced without music.

Source: Neuroscience.

That being said, I love shooting around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm also surprised by how many of you guys are able to play with music. If you use headphones, how do they stay in while you shoot? If not headphones, how else do you supply music? On rare occasions when I was much younger, I remember lugging my boombox to the court in my front yard, but that was about it.
    I just run the earphones from my phone up my shirt to my ears. They've come out maybe three times in the past year.

NBA Superstar

Earlier in this thread, I questioned how you guys listened to music while shooting around. I couldn't picture using headphones and I'd never been anywhere in public where I would have felt comfortable setting up a boombox. So of course, I showed up to a court today where one other guy was shooting (between 19-23 years old) and he looked like he didn't have a bad skill set, but he had a boombox there, and he was blasting the 1960's oldie "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

Upon my arrival, he began turning the volume down dramatically, before changing to a radio station playing 2000's flashback hits. So, I spent a portion of my shootaround today playing to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Hey Ya", and Usher's "Yeah!". It was a different experience to be sure.

I love shooting around. I can shoot for 3-4 hours alone and time will fly. I come up with new moves, create scenarios, and just relax and work on all aspects of my game. I set challenges for myself like i'll tell myself you are not leaving until you make 6 3's in a row or 15 free throws or something. Shooting around with a friend could be more convenient because you get each others rebounds.With a friend there are many games you can play. Horse,around the world,21,taps,1 on 1,etc...but sometimes shooting alone is more productive, at least for me.