Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
jongib369
Decent college freshman

jongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation here
Default Kevin Garnett VS Willis Reed

Willis Reed (R)6'9 ▪ Weight: 235 lbs.

Kevin Garnett (R)6'11 ▪ Weight 217

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCWgW8V0Nc

Reed-34 points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwpcIazbkzo

Garnett-35 points

Who in your opinion is the better player? Whats your impression of their game from the videos? And finally what does one do better or even similar to the other? (Keep rule change in mind)
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Trentknicks
Banned

Trentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Kevin Garnett VS Willis Reed

Willis for sure, limped out of the tunnel to fight for a championship while Garnett back tracks in the same building.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
jongib369
Decent college freshman

jongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation herejongib369 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentknicks
Willis for sure, limped out of the tunnel to fight for a championship while Garnett back tracks in the same building.
Thanks for the comment
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation hereLa Frescobaldi has a near all-star reputation here

This matchup to me would come down to teammates. Also when you say KG he's had 2 distinct careers, with Wolves and with Celtics. Willis did too, really - pre injury, and always-injured.

If it is early days Willis lined up against Celtics KG, Willis would have the edge. He had a way of bellying up against a guy that was just crazy effective. And as big as he was, Reed was real graceful and had a strong perimeter game.

By the same token, early days KG would have the edge against Willis after 1970 playoffs injury. His Minny days spins would get him to the rim against Willis who's lateral movement was slowed down by knees

It's a fact Old Man Reed could really play this would be a terrific game to watch!!
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What Reed did as a 6'8" center is amazing. He was going toe to toe with Kareem and Wilt. I know I've read that when Reed was healthy, he often played very well against Kareem. I've seen the entire game footage of that '70-'71 game vs Milwaukee and he really impressed me with his play vs Kareem. Haven't seen it in several years, but he at least matched him, if not outplayed him, iirc. Reed was also one of the original centers with the good face up jumper, and one of the toughest players and great leaders of all-time. The '69-'74 Knicks are one of the great teams, and don't get as much talk as others. Probably due to the era. From the little I've seen, and what I've read, I'm not sure there's a better example of playing as a team at both ends. Aside from Reed and Frazier, people forget about what a massive impact DeBuscherre made on that team. They won 2 titles, and that was with Reed's injuries.

With that said, I have to go with Garnett as the better player. I think he could do more offensively and will go down as the better defensive player. His versatility offensively and leadership defensively is pretty remarkable. The way he transformed the Celtics defense should be remembered a long time. Actually, I think he would have fit right in on those early 70's Knick teams considering his unselfish, and play at both ends.

Reed was tougher in the paint, but I just can't call him a better player than KG. KG has the advantage as far as length, athleticism, offensive skill set and passing ability, as well as team defense. Reed is definitely the better choice to guard a banger in the paint, though.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Yea, Garnett is 6'11 lol.

From what I've seen, even undersized (tho I'm surprised to hear 6'8), Reed was a true C. A battler in the paint, boxed out like a beast, grabbed rebounds without padding them. Literally won glass games almost by himself, the way he played. Wasn't a stats player. Played to win. Didn't play like a hero and was one because he played the way you should want to play.

Of course, this is also true of Garnett (not the center part). This is a very random comparison but KG and Barkley are the best PF's I've seen. Garnett is one of the 10 greatest defensive players of all-time, an elite rebounder (look at how well those Wolves did on the glass with him leading the league in rebounding 4 years in a row). One of the most versatile players ever and a true basketball player. His ability to pass and make plays was incredible. Shocking to see the difference in Boston. The first year was the closest to his all-around game. The guy in Minnesota was astonishing. He's a top 20 player so definitely KG.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
From what I've seen, even undersized (tho I'm surprised to hear 6'8), Reed was a true C. A battler in the paint, boxed out like a beast, grabbed rebounds without padding them. Literally won glass games almost by himself, the way he played. Wasn't a stats player. Played to win. Didn't play like a hero and was one because he played the way you should want to play.

Oh yeah, Reed's size never hurt him. The 6'8" figure comes from Red Holzman. He remembers meeting Reed in one of his books and I think someone else working with the Knicks asked to measure Reed, so Reed said something like "should I take my shoes off?" and either Holzman or the other guy said he didn't have to, and he measured barely 6'8". Of course, that was when they wore Chuck Taylors which barely add any height. You can see how enormous the height difference is between Reed and Kareem.

Reed did play bigger than KG despite being about 4 inches shorter.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
jongib369
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
What Reed did as a 6'8" center is amazing. He was going toe to toe with Kareem and Wilt. I know I've read that when Reed was healthy, he often played very well against Kareem. I've seen the entire game footage of that '70-'71 game vs Milwaukee and he really impressed me with his play vs Kareem. Haven't seen it in several years, but he at least matched him, if not outplayed him, iirc. Reed was also one of the original centers with the good face up jumper, and one of the toughest players and great leaders of all-time. The '69-'74 Knicks are one of the great teams, and don't get as much talk as others. Probably due to the era. From the little I've seen, and what I've read, I'm not sure there's a better example of playing as a team at both ends. Aside from Reed and Frazier, people forget about what a massive impact DeBuscherre made on that team. They won 2 titles, and that was with Reed's injuries.

With that said, I have to go with Garnett as the better player. I think he could do more offensively and will go down as the better defensive player. His versatility offensively and leadership defensively is pretty remarkable. The way he transformed the Celtics defense should be remembered a long time. Actually, I think he would have fit right in on those early 70's Knick teams considering his unselfish, and play at both ends.

Reed was tougher in the paint, but I just can't call him a better player than KG. KG has the advantage as far as length, athleticism, offensive skill set and passing ability, as well as team defense. Reed is definitely the better choice to guard a banger in the paint, though.
Thanks for the comment, I'm on the fence with this one but am leaning a bit towards KG.

Would you pick Willis over Garnett if you were making this decision in lets say... 1993 or before? back when you had real centers
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
Thanks for the comment, I'm on the fence with this one but am leaning a bit towards KG.

Would you pick Willis over Garnett if you were making this decision in lets say... 1993 or before? back when you had real centers

I'd still have to go with KG honestly. I hate going against the Knick, but I have to go with who I'd feel would be the better player at either end. Though it may be true that centers have had more of an impact in the more perimeter-oriented post-'05 NBA, it's hard to say. I mean an older Shaq made a huge impact when he first got to Miami, Dwight led Orlando to back to back 59 win seasons and a finals, Duncan has won 2 rings since then and constantly been in contention(don't feel like getting into much of a position debate about him, but he's mostly played center since '07 and provides traditional big man impact)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Garnett wouldn't have been Garnett in that era. Willis would have shoved him all over, he's much stronger built. He also would have (literally) beaten Garnett down if he tried what he does now. Some of Garnett's game fits better now because we are in the sissy ball era, he's a great defender moving his feet in an era where you can't get backed down and you can't throw a punch
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
bizil
Decent college freshman

bizil has an incredible reputation herebizil has an incredible reputation herebizil has an incredible reputation herebizil has an incredible reputation herebizil has an incredible reputation herebizil has an incredible reputation here

I gotta roll with KG. In terms of bigs, the only players I would FOR SURE take over KG are Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, and Hakeem in terms of whose the better player flat out. Other guys like Duncan, Charles, Mailman, Robinson, Walton, Ewing are arguable. Reed in my book is a lil bit behind these kind of guys. For me KG is the clear pick.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: