Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Default Re: Are all Pit Bull owners extremely defensive?

My Chow Chow who passed away a few years ago would have given any Pit a run for his/her money.

She was a sweetie though, and would never have wanted to fight in the first place.

Ironically Chows are considered to be another aggressive breed, but mine wouldn't have hurt a fly unless she had to.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I'll take the one bred for dog fighting.
    And if they both were?

Chows are really aggressive. Mine hates other dogs. Lots of people don't know their dog is dog-aggressive because they never get them close enough to others.

My step mom had one that started a fight with our 80lbs Dalmatian and got herself killed.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    I think no dog breed is any more innately aggressive than another, assuming it's a domesticated breed.
    you don't know much about dogs...

One of my closest friends is a pit owner and breeder, he is extremely proud of his dog and enters it in competitions and such. I am like you hateraid, I don't like pits around me they make me nervous. When I am around his dog I tell him "keep that fckin thing away from me" and he just laughs and doesn't get defensive about it at all.

I also have an in-law with a pit who I was just hanging out at a lake house with, whenever the pit came around my son I would pick my son up and get inbetween them. he would say "oh he's harmless you don't have to worry". I don't care though, not taking chances, that pit attacks my son and I am not sure there is much I could do about it. My son punches everything too.

nurture vs nature

I think nurture factors in more, at least when it comes to raising dogs.

Nature is overrated.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-10-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    One of my closest friends is a pit owner and breeder, he is extremely proud of his dog and enters it in competitions and such. I am like you hateraid, I don't like pits around me they make me nervous. When I am around his dog I tell him "keep that fckin thing away from me" and he just laughs and doesn't get defensive about it at all.

I also have an in-law with a pit who I was just hanging out at a lake house with, whenever the pit came around my son I would pick my son up and get inbetween them. he would say "oh he's harmless you don't have to worry". I don't care though, not taking chances, that pit attacks my son and I am not sure there is much I could do about it. My son punches everything too.
    Sounds like your friend's pits were raised and trained to be aggressive fighters.

That could be done with any breed really. More people are bitten every year by chihuahuas and goldens than by pits.

I can't believe how ignorant people in this thread are about breed behaviors and tendencies.

Pits, Rotties, Chows, Mastiffs, they're all very aggressive dogs. Bred over centuries to be aggressive. It's in their DNA; there's no denying it. Other breeds can be dangerous because of their mix of intelligence and skittishness; essentially being very aware of their surroundings and are easily spooked like aussies, collies, healers, weimaraners, etc.

It can all be avoided with proper training and care, but it doesn't change the fact that there are innate behavioral differences among breeds. It's the whole point of breeding to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~

I don't think I'd ever let a child around a pit or other aggressive breed if they're not part of the inner family; like they live with the dog or are around the dog 2-4 days a week.

I put our chow outside when we're at my nephew's just because I can see her getting agitated with the noise and commotion of the little human.

nurture vs nature

Nature is overrated.
    There isn't much nature involved here unless you are talking about wolf or coyote. These dogs are man made, and some are made to be aggressive.

Doesn't matter though even if this was nature there are breeds of animals more or less aggressive than other breeds.

nurture vs nature

Nature is overrated.
    Dogs are man-made species. There is not nature in the equation.

Mankind is part of nature.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-10-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Sounds like your friend's pits were raised and trained to be aggressive fighters.

That could be done with any breed really. More people are bitten every year by chihuahuas and goldens than by pits.
    But more fatal attacks are done by pit Bulls. http://images.bimedia.net/documents/...breed+2012.pdf

Mankind is part of nature.
    And?

Saying there are more bites by chihuahuas, etc than pits is pointless, for all I know there are 100x more chihuahua owners than pit owners out in the world.