Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default "Iron Mike" Tyson Appreciation Thread

Since it seems there are not too many guys who know a lot about boxing here, I decided to create yet another thread on one og boxings greats.

"The Baddest Man on the Planet" was the most intimidating fighter of his generation. One of the most intimidating fighters of all time. I really think he had the potential to go down as one of the greatest heavy weights of all time if he had his mind right. He could have been 2nd greatest heavyweight boxer of all time behind Ali. Very quick, heavy heavy hands. Every jab, uppercut was timed perfectly. Everyone feared him in his prime. One of personal favs to watch when he was in his prime. Probably the most feared boxer that was out there bc of his ability in the ring andthe inbalance in his head.

Most known for Biting Holyfields ear off, his "I"m gonna eat your children" rant, and possibly the biggest upset in boxing histroy when he was defeated by Buster Douglas in Japan of 1990. But he should have been known for his doinance as a boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Michael Gerard "Mike" Tyson (born June 30, 1966) is a retired American boxer. He was the undisputed heavyweight champion and remains the youngest man ever to win and lose a world heavyweight title. Throughout his career, Tyson became well-known for his controversial behavior both inside and outside the ring.

Nicknamed "Iron Mike," and "The Baddest Man on the Planet," Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts by knockout, 12 in the first round.[citation needed] He unified the belts in the splintered heavyweight division in the late 1980s. Tyson was the undisputed heavyweight champion for over two years, before losing to 42-to-1 underdog Buster Douglas in 1990.

In 1992, Tyson was convicted of raping a woman, for which he served three years in prison. After being released from prison in 1995, he engaged in a series of comeback fights. He regained a portion of the heavyweight title, before losing it to Evander Holyfield in 1996 by an 11th round TKO. Their 1997 rematch ended in disqualification for Tyson after he bit off a portion of Holyfield's ear. He fought for a championship again at 35, losing by knockout to Lennox Lewis in 2002. Tyson retired from competitive boxing in 2005 after two consecutive knockout losses to journeymen Danny Williams and Kevin McBride.

Tyson declared bankruptcy in 2003, despite receiving over US$30 million for several of his fights and $300 million during his career.

Famous Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tyson
    "Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"

"My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him [Lennox Lewis]. I want to kill people. I want to rip their stomachs out and eat their children."
    On Razor Ruddock

"You're sweet. I'm going to make sure you kiss me good with those big lips. I'm gonna make you my girlfriend."
    "You got nothing coming, man. I'm going to enjoy this fight."

After biting Holyfield he said, "This is my career. I have children to raise. I have to retaliate. He butted me. Look at me. My kids will be scared of me."

"I felt Holyfield was using his head illegally. I told the referee I wasn't getting any help, so I went back to the streets. I cannot defend it, but it happened."
    Some youtube highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTj4jaG3kjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLxNg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Fu0uOcUYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrYm...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZBdT_4ACA

Default Re: "Iron Mike" Tyson Appreciation Thread

This is how small prime Mike Tyson made his opponents feel.

Its the most fitting title possible - "The baddest man on the planet".
    G.Personified.

Mike Tyson linked to drug gang slayings

FORMER heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has been linked to two murder plots involving a ruthless drug gang in his old neighbourhood.

Witnesses at the trial of Abubakr Raheem, an alleged getaway driver in two gang slayings, have testified Tyson was the person who funded one of the schemes.

In the other plot, Tyson was the potential target but was spared for religious reasons.

Tyson has denied knowing anything about the mayhem surrounding the gang but his name was mentioned several times during recent testimony.

Tyson's name emerged during an investigation of the Cash Money Brothers, a New York gang led by Damion Hardy and his brother Myron Hardy.

Police allege that when Myron Hardy was murdered in 1999 it sparked a bloodbath. Among those killed was Tyson's friend and bodyguard, Darryl Baum.

Evidence was given that Tyson, after learning Mr Baum had been killed, put out a contract on Damion Hardy.

Another witness described how, after word of the boxer's bounty spread, he overheard gang members saying Tyson needed to be "rubbed out".

"I said, 'That's outrageous,"' the witness recalled.

Later, the same witness said he and Raheem were with a group that spotted a car they believed was carrying Tyson.

One of the men wanted to kill the boxer but the idea was "squashed right there" because "Mike Tyson was a Muslim".

Closing the prosecution case yesterday Assistant US attorney Sean Haran reminded jurors that the "evidence was that Mike Tyson put up $US50,000 to kill" two men.

Tyson issued a statement calling the accounts "untrue".

He said he was "tired of people throwing my name around".

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
    "Iron Mike" Tyson Appreciation Thread

We all know of his rough history and controversial lifestyle. I was just trying to glorify him as a boxer, not as a person. Wasnt trying to point out all his negatives. But yea, thats news to me, didnt hear about him being linked to that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFW834Mrcc

"I don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them... so you better stop talking... unless... you know..."

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

We all know of his rough history and controversial lifestyle. I was just trying to glorify him as a boxer, not as a person. Wasnt trying to point out all his negatives. But yea, thats news to me, didnt hear about him being linked to that

Not to mention that that article was posted tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

Iron Mike Street Cred Increased. He has now reached boss level.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

News that happened today.... I googled his name and that link came up.

Tyson is such a nutjob that I would believe that he is capable of this easily

5-time NBA All-Star

Kudos.

MT wuz easily one of my greatest influences of my infantile yearz. Him and the Bad-Boy Pistonz must've subconsciously toughened me up.

Dude packed so much raw power and couple that with hiz emotional intensity.

Anybody recall that story of how as a child, he was a sociopath, and he lost his beloved hawk... then proceeded to pound on the guy who did it, despite being undersized.

Between the tatz, the memorable quotes, and the phuckin brutality, I respect thiz man so much and I honestly never thought he was D.U.M.B, but rather had a unique way of expresing himself.

I think Foreman and Holmez are the only ones capable of hitting within 20 PSI of one of his full-fledged hookz.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Kudos.

MT wuz easily one of my greatest influences of my infantile yearz. Him and the Bad-Boy Pistonz must've subconsciously toughened me up.

Dude packed so much raw power and couple that with hiz emotional intensity.

Anybody recall that story of how as a child, he was a sociopath, and he lost his beloved hawk... then proceeded to pound on the guy who did it, despite being undersized.

Between the tatz, the memorable quotes, and the phuckin brutality, I respect thiz man so much and I honestly never thought he was D.U.M.B, but rather had a unique way of expresing himself.

I think Foreman and Holmez are the only ones capable of hitting within 20 PSI of one of his full-fledged hookz.
    YES, i do remember. He pounded the dude for it. Funny, i was gonna mention it in the thread but forgot to.

You have to respect the man as a boxer. Lots of people dont respect him bc of his outside the ring antics, but respect is deserved. He kind of reminds me of Dennis Rodman in a way. People will never truly respect what he did for the game and will always remember his off court drama when he should be remembered for his defensive intensity, 5 rings, and 18 freaken boards a game a couple of seasons.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

There was a short period of time when he was arguably the greatest boxer of all time, even better than Ali. Then once his trainer died he was never the same, and both his boxing skills and his life outside the ring went downhill from there.

Local High School Star beau_boy04's Avatar

mike tyson got no legacy! he had to bite hollyfield's ears in order to keep up with him... what a wussy