Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default The Jazz playoff aspirations

The team has been weaker than hoped so far this season, but when it comes time for the playoffs, they may have as good a shot as anyone of coming out of the west, because the guys at the top haven't played beautiful bball this season, either
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Jazz playoff aspirations

Some have doubts we will even make it. I still am taking it as granted that we won't miss.

If we don't match up against the Spurs, I think we could get into the second round despite not having home court. But anything more than that is crazy. We can't win on the road (I assume we can win one first round), and we can't stop defensively when it really matters. We do have go to guys for the fourth, but thats all we got rollin for the playoffs.

I'm hoping for LA, just for the old grudgematch.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Home court seems to be pretty critical for the Jazz this year, so I think it's gonna be awfully hard to advance past the first round. They need to get a nice winning streak to finish out the season or I don't see them having enough confidence and chemistry to advance. Depends on the matchups too.. As good as Portland is, most playoff bound teams should be able to give them a real challenge since Portland lacks playoff experience.

Jazz have the talent and ability to make it past every team but San Antonio, but they'd have to really start firing on all cylinders in order for that to happen. The outlook doesn't look so great this year, but anything could happen, and the Jazz still have the time to pull it together. Kyle Korver is still trying to fit in, the Jazz still might pull off a trade to bring in a center, the rookies are still coming into their own, but getting a little better as the year goes on.

Right now, it looks pretty hopeless, but there's still time for the Jazz to gel and get feeling good about their game.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
Home court seems to be pretty critical for the Jazz this year, so I think it's gonna be awfully hard to advance past the first round. They need to get a nice winning streak to finish out the season or I don't see them having enough confidence and chemistry to advance. Depends on the matchups too.. As good as Portland is, most playoff bound teams should be able to give them a real challenge since Portland lacks playoff experience.

Jazz have the talent and ability to make it past every team but San Antonio, but they'd have to really start firing on all cylinders in order for that to happen. The outlook doesn't look so great this year, but anything could happen, and the Jazz still have the time to pull it together. Kyle Korver is still trying to fit in, the Jazz still might pull off a trade to bring in a center, the rookies are still coming into their own, but getting a little better as the year goes on.

Right now, it looks pretty hopeless, but there's still time for the Jazz to gel and get feeling good about their game.

I agree 1000% with ya here Chalk... This team has me worried. Was Fisher really that much of a difference maker in the locker-room???
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

I know the team has been a bit shady so far BUT I'm still not worried yet....
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblok
I know the team has been a bit shady so far BUT I'm still not worried yet....

I feel the same way. For some odd reason, I'm not worried we are going to miss. When people talk about putting together a run at the playoffs, I remember 03-04 and it seems like it is way behind us. We'll be in the post season.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
I agree 1000% with ya here Chalk... This team has me worried. Was Fisher really that much of a difference maker in the locker-room???

I think Fisher was a difference maker, not sure how much though, I think he's the reason they got so far last year... They BARELY made it past Houston, I think he was the edge. But I figured he got them that far, they should have it figured out and know what it takes this year... But lacking veteran leadership has shown. I mean, they have Harpring but that's about it. I think it's been leadership by committee this year, with Deron at the front, Boozer and Okur close behind. But none of the leaders wants to encourage their teammates to get down and dirty and rough, I think the toughness is what's lacking this year. I think their youth is showing. But they're also at that stage where they might all the sudden "get it", before the playoffs start. That's the one thing about youth, it almost always gets smarter and better, sometimes it happens pretty quick, sometimes is a long process. But the reason I think the Jazz are in trouble once they make the playoffs, is because the other teams they'll be playing have gotten a lot better, more hungry I think. Much more parody in the league now, lots of up and coming talent. We'll see..
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Cowhide hits hom
I airball my layups

Cowhide hits hom has an OK reputation so far

Ok, Happy to be on board, just have to give my first two cents worth.

I don't think Fisher has anything to do with the down turn of the Jazz. I more so think it is Harpring, and Okur. With those two guys either in the dumps shooting or injuried it has pretty much taken the outside game away from the Jazz, and opposing teams have figured that out. This with the extended away trip they had didn't help.
Fisher was only about a 35% shooter ...not good!!

Now that the Jazz have aquired Korver and Okur seems to be doing better, and Harpring has been given the ok for the doctors it will not only help outside but will open up the middle for the Jazz, and I expect them to get back to their winning ways.
It seems to have helped the jazz already as they have won alot latey in the last 10 games.... GO JAZZ!!
Cowhide hits hom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowhide hits hom
Ok, Happy to be on board, just have to give my first two cents worth.

I don't think Fisher has anything to do with the down turn of the Jazz. I more so think it is Harpring, and Okur. With those two guys either in the dumps shooting or injuried it has pretty much taken the outside game away from the Jazz, and opposing teams have figured that out. This with the extended away trip they had didn't help.
Fisher was only about a 35% shooter ...not good!!

Now that the Jazz have aquired Korver and Okur seems to be doing better, and Harpring has been given the ok for the doctors it will not only help outside but will open up the middle for the Jazz, and I expect them to get back to their winning ways.
It seems to have helped the jazz already as they have won alot latey in the last 10 games.... GO JAZZ!!

Welcome cowhide, What I mean by missing Fish is his veteran locker-room presence.
I'm not talking about his on-court production...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

How about Collins getting 2 straight DNP's?.....

Something we can get use to?
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:

I like it... I just wish we could find a few minutes for Fes.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Cowhide hits hom
I airball my layups

Cowhide hits hom has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

lol...... yes.

Couldn't agree more about Fess playing.... I hope he gets that playing time once his d-league stints are done. Seems like a lot more upside than Collins.
Cowhide hits hom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: