Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    ....no he didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqymSa79vqg

NOT....EVEN>>>>CLOSE!!!!!
    Sorry I got the dunks confused since I just read a quick news sumarry. It was his son that did it with one hand. That only furthers my point that Wilt wasn't some athenian god that could throw a ping pong ball through a brick wall.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by taucesays
    Sorry I got the dunks confused since I just read a quick news sumarry. It was his son that did it with one hand. That only furthers my point that Wilt wasn't some athenian god that could throw a ping pong ball through a brick wall.

Your saying his son could dunk it from almost 21 feet with one hand???

The 2011 California state champion long jumper hit 23' 4" in prelims and won with a distance of 22' 3.25". Wilt was definitely a great athlete but still on the same level as great athletes of today.
    Yep. Except.... Wilt was 7'1.06" tall. You forgot about that little diddy. He did what 6'0-6'5" people do. That's what made Wilt the "force" people talk about. He's a big man doing what smell men do, effortlessly. And he does it all remarkably well.

How many athletes that compete in NCAA d1 Track and Field (and win) are 7'1 inches tall? He's an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Your saying his son could dunk it from almost 21 feet with one hand???
    The video has been removed from youtube. I found a thread about it on here but not too much confirmation. All I'm trying to do is establish some sort of upper bound by comparing him to other athletes/records.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yep. Except.... Wilt was 7'1.06" tall. You forgot about that little diddy. He did what 6'0-6'5" people do. That's what made Wilt the "force" people talk about. He's a big man doing what smell men do, effortlessly. And he does it all remarkably well.

How many athletes that compete in NCAA d1 Track and Field (and win) are 7'1 inches tall? He's an anomaly.
    Yes. Except that the stories also say he was a champion 100m runner. Long jump is about speed and explosion. You're claiming he has those. You can't have it both ways.

Yes. Except that the stories also say he was a champion 100m runner. Long jump is about speed and explosion. You're claiming he has those. You can't have it both ways.
    No the stories don't say that at all

They all say he was an accomplished, multi-event track athlete. And he was.

100 meter sprints - and explosiveness for long/triple/high jump = same thing.... explosive.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...7442%2C2836511
    4.6 40 - barefoot. - Clocked by Kansas City Chief's coach Hank Strom.

And again, realize that this is what small men pull for sprint times. Yet - Wilt is 290lbs and over 7'1" tall... seeeeeeeeeeeee? U seeing it now? No his accomplishments aren't inhuman. But his size + accomplishments ARE "inhuman" if that's the way you wanna look at it. It's just never been like that before, nobody his size has really been that athletic.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.

My point is that all of the verifiable information we have about Wilts feats places him squarely within the human realm. The premise of this thread is that Wilt could do a 3 stutter step dunk from inside the top half of the free throw circle. Someone also mentioned that he had a standing long jump of 22'. My claim is that and a lot of other stories about him are utter bullish*t. He was definitely a top athlete abnormality. I would place him on the level of Usain Bolt, LeBron, and Michael Phelps. That doesn't mean everything you hear about him is true.

My point is that all of the verifiable information we have about Wilts feats places him squarely within the human realm. The premise of this thread is that Wilt could do a 3 stutter step dunk from inside the top half of the free throw circle. Someone also mentioned that he had a standing long jump of 22'. My claim is that and a lot of other stories about him are utter bullish*t. He was definitely a top athlete abnormality. I would place him on the level of Usain Bolt, LeBron, and Michael Phelps. That doesn't mean everything you hear about him is true.
    Just think about it for a second... What do you get when you combine Track and Field agility of a small person, with a with a wingspan and standing reach greater/equal to a Yao Ming sized person.....

(A guy who could FT dunk in 3 strides)

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump

Look at the size of his strides and his acceleration from a dead standstill. Yah, 3 step free throw dunks are definitely not possible with other known people who are his size. Nor other smaller people with his agility. But it's possible with him because he has both.

I believe that he could do it with 3 real strides. I think it's fair to say his strides were around his own height, so lets say 7 feet. That places him a bit outside the circle at center court. I also believe there are currently players in the NBA could do the same get very close. Wilt also had retardedly long arms so that give him a huge advantage when jumping from far distances.

I believe that he could do it with 3 real strides. I think it's fair to say his strides were around his own height, so lets say 7 feet. That places him a bit outside the circle at center court. I also believe there are currently players in the NBA could do the same get very close. Wilt also had retardedly long arms so that give him a huge advantage when jumping from far distances.
    I think that's what Tex said. So we're in agreement here.

So a 8 foot dunk right?

I don't get why people are talking about Wilt high jumping 6'6 like it's a good thing. 6'6 is pathetic. Last year the winner in Minnesota jumped 6'10. Besides he jumped forward over the high jump? Horrible form.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern

Still haven't read, but that image looks more to me like he was grabbing a rebound. I mean he's jumping off his right leg, with the ball in his right hand, in a sort of weird position. If he were to do a free throw line type dunk, being a righty, he would jump off his leg, with his right leg going forward, ball on right hand, and vice versa if he were lefty.
    this is clearly a fastbreak

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Just think about it for a second... What do you get when you combine Track and Field agility of a small person, with a with a wingspan and standing reach greater/equal to a Yao Ming sized person.....

(A guy who could FT dunk in 3 strides)

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump

Look at the size of his strides and his acceleration from a dead standstill. Yah, 3 step free throw dunks are definitely not possible with other known people who are his size. Nor other smaller people with his agility. But it's possible with him because he has both.
    Watch that video. He does not gain nearly enough momentum to jump the distance for a FT-line dunk. What are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    I don't get why people are talking about Wilt high jumping 6'6 like it's a good thing. 6'6 is pathetic. Last year the winner in Minnesota jumped 6'10. Besides he jumped forward over the high jump? Horrible form.
    Learn about track and field history

http://www.benchallenger.com/high-ju...-the-high-jump

Wilt's era jumped differently, and into different pits. The #'s cannot be compared to modern #'s. Wilt's 6'6.75 PR was actually better than the 5th place jumper out of the 27 competitors in the 1956 Olympics. Wilt is far superior of a high-jumper than a 6'10 jumper today due to his relative #'s he produced in his era.