Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why did Orlando trade Chris Webber?

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Wtf.

Prime Penny was better than C-Webber ever was.
    Prime Penny? What, the three years he was healthy?

C Webb was a better player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    From what I remembered way back in 1993, Shaq didn't want another big man to share the spot light with, didn't want to lose touches or rebounds to Cwebb.

They used that pick to trade for another player, who happened to be Penny.

Take away the egos, I think both players would've found a way to co exist somehow. When I look at the Kings with CWebb and Divac, I think it could've looked something like that with him and shaq.

The question is would they try to. Shaq made it clear he didn't even want to try.

Twin tower 1-2 punch combos have worked. Duncan and Robinson, Hakeem and Ralph Sampson are 2 duos I can think of.
    Would have worked for Webber. He was unselfish. His biggest weakness was being too unselfish which would have worked next to Shaq. He would have got Shaq plenty of easy dunks.

both guys were still ball dominant, score-first players. There's only one ball and so many possessions in the paint to go around, and that kills the twin towers notion with those two guys.
    Webber wasn't a score first to his detriment if anything.

If we offered the max then I'd agree all the way.
    Was their such thing as a max deal at that time?

7-time NBA All-Star

I'm confident that the inside/outside duo of Shaq and Penny would have been more effective. Besides, they got a very solid power forward in Horace Grant who played very good defense, rebounded well, hit mid-range jumpers, was a strong finisher and passed well. Grant was a perfect fit because he was never really a low post player and didn't need the ball to make an impact.

Penny was also widely regarded as a better player than Webber in '95 and '96 when Orlando were contenders. Especially since Webber had the problems in Golden State then only played a combined 68 games in '95 and '96.

Shaq could handle the paint, especially with Grant next to him, but adding a guard as dynamic as Penny was a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    I
    Also if its true, Shaq you idiot, you could have won multiple titles in Orlando, probably never have gone to the Lakers (Making Kobe leave to become the first Ring Chaser like he wanted too in 2004), and probably be up in the top 3 GOAT discussions.
    Are you implying Shaq was a ring chaser for going to Miami in 2004?

Banned

I believe Kobe wanted out of L.A. and wanted to go to the Clippers or Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886927

what does this have to do with sabotaging locker rooms and teams

kobe was the victom in that ordeal

the whole reason he wanted out was due to phil jackson telling him they were waiting on bynum and in a rebuilding money saving plan

kobe felt betrayed

shaq leaves on bad terms because he starts drama

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Are you implying Shaq was a ring chaser for going to Miami in 2004?
    I hope I didn't come across as me saying that. That's not what I meant at all.

High School Varsity 6th Man MisterAmazing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    shaq could have had a title in orlando. his ego has run him out of every franchise he's ever played for

if kobe was the problem. why'd he play 17 years for LA and shaq got tossed around like a used prostitute on her last day before menopause

because kobe was younger and Jerry Buss decided to go with the guy that had more years left on him and hadn't even peaked yet. Shaq was 32 and it was clear he was closer to the end of his prime than the beginning, the opposite of the 26 year old Kobe.

And I don't think it was Shaq's ego that caused him to miss the finals during the Jordan Era, nor was it his ego that stopped him from scoring 28 ppg in the finals against Hakeem, even if it was a losing effort. His ego also didn't stop him from carrying the Lakers to three straight championships with three straight finals MVPs. At least show some gratitude.

cwebb was my fav player coming outa michigan. i was excited to think he would pair up with shaq. than he got traded for anfernee. penny was a great player, which i guess shaq wanted a PG to get him the ball (i guess scott skiles wasnt enough lol). i was annoyed, cuz don nelson took webber the rookie of the year and then traded him away. it was gonna be tim hardaway, spree, mullin and webber. like HOW couldnt you build on that team? don nelson is a disgrace to the nba coaching alumni.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    what does this have to do with sabotaging locker rooms and teams

kobe was the victom in that ordeal

the whole reason he wanted out was due to phil jackson telling him they were waiting on bynum and in a rebuilding money saving plan

kobe felt betrayed

shaq leaves on bad terms because he starts drama
    Kobe was no victim. Both Shaq and Kobe behaved like spoiled children for years as these superstars often do. If you really think Shaq started all the drama then you need a refresher on that 2000-2001 season.

I hope I didn't come across as me saying that. That's not what I meant at all.
    Ok, just wanted to make sure.