Default How big an extension does Greg Monroe deserve?

The Pistons must determine whether Monroe deserves a max contract. If they deem he doesn

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: How big an extension does Greg Monroe deserve?

Cousins contract set the market for Monroe. I feel like he deserves the same money. I'd hate to see Monroe go. I also feel like this team is one big move away still though. I hope they can work something out. This has been a worry for all of us for a while.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

He has the potential to anchor a team - I was hoping it would be our team, but with Smith his future here is up in the air... I love how Dre and moose complement each others strengths and weaknesses, it is the perfect combo - both have amazing size. Any team would be lucky to build inside out around these two... I hope we keep him, but I think we all know he will be the first to go if Smith can't effectively play the 3. I would personally get rid of Smith first and replace him with a more prototypical SF. Smith for Batum would make me happy - as i think they have similar contracts...

To answer the question though, yes, he deserves as much as Cousins.

NBA lottery pick

I have read that the Pistons cap situation this offseason will allow them to offer him a max extension. This is a big part of the reason why they aren't going to do anything by Oct. 31st. They now can see how everyone works together. If it isn't working they can try to make a trade by the deadline. I would say it's 60/40 he'll remain a Piston right now. I could really see a team like the Lakers letting Pau Gasol go and going after him. They have a ton of cap space, will need good young players, and won't have a lot of options for signings. I don't think Detroit will just let him walk though. If he doesn't get traded at the deadline they will hold onto him and just match whatever offer he gets. Then I would think they would explore trades. Of course if it works the way we want it to, I think they'll just hold onto everyone for a few years.

NBA lottery pick

Now that Derrick Favors just signed an extension for that kind of money we all know for sure that Greg Monroe will be getting a big payday somewhere. He's for sure going to get offered the max he can get from a team. I was reading somewhere that a team can only offer one guy a max deal under the new CBA. The Pistons are thinking that guy is Drummond and that's part of the reason they want to see how this season plays out. I'm getting a strong feeling that Monroe is headed to another team. It's starting to make sense now too, since they signed Smith. I think our frontline of the future is Smith and Drummond and they plan on using the cap space from Monroe to make other roster moves.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Very sad to say I agree 100% with you mate,

I was hoping to see Moose and Dre wreck havoc for the next 10 years in Pistons colors... Smith BETTER be worth breaking this up,

If I had my way I would be trading Smith for a prototypical SF,

Smith for Batum - cheers, would seem to make total sense as they are on similar money... Would take care of our spacing and shooting problems..

NBA lottery pick

Absolutely. I don't want to be the team that makes the playoffs for the next 5 years as a 5th to 8th seed. I love what we did, but I'm also scared. I know for sure we are a move away from what we were.

There is only one max deal per team?!?!? So they are planning to split dynamic duos apart?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    There is only one max deal per team?!?!? So they are planning to split dynamic duos apart?
    I don't know the exact way it works so I may have stated it a bit incorrectly. Maybe it had something to do with guys coming off of rookie deals or the way it was worded was more along the lines of only one guy can be tagged as the franchise type player. What I took from it was if they offer Monroe a max deal they won't be able to do the same with Drummond.