Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #2011
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
i read the bell jar around 10 years ago. geared more towards women only because the protagonist is female. i remember enjoying it very much nonetheless.
i've heard it described as the female equivalent of Catcher in the Rye... regardless of the accuracy of that statement thematically, i feel like the number of females i've encountered who love Catcher in the Rye in spite its total gearing towards men (or confused adolescent boys to be specific lol) means that anybody regardless of sex can enjoy The Bell Jar.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2012
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

gone with the wind
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #2013
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

If I made a movie of Atlas Shrugged, I would cast Jon Hamm as Hank Reardon. For some reason I keep imagining Reardon looking like Don Draper lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #2014
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
If I made a movie of Atlas Shrugged, I would cast Jon Hamm as Hank Reardon. For some reason I keep imagining Reardon looking like Don Draper lol.

Bingo!

It's a combination between the fact he created his own persona after a sh!tty childhood, his troubles/ lack of chemistry with wifey, and sheer professional pioneer spirit that solidfies that comparison!

Who'd be Francisco? Banderas?

Dagny should be Jenn Connely, (strong, beautiful graceful elegant)

Right now I'm reading:
33 Strategies of War - Robert Greene
Bhagavad Gita
War of Art

and then when school comes

Enahnced Human Anatomy and Physiology
Neuroscience
Neuropharmacology
Brave New World (how the fukk have i not touched this despite referencin it a million times is beyond me)
Tempest (nice chaotic shakespeare)
Black No More
Never Let Me Go
Gulliver's Travels

After that

going to chomp down on the Complete Hebrew Dictionary
Finish Bible
and Read the Vidal book Dasher suggested

You motherf*ckers are going down. 21 years old and absorbin knowledge like VishaltotheG's cervix absorbs Catzhernandez urine fukk ya.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2015
Waking_Life
We Are Legion

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - 8.5/10

Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #2016
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Bingo!

It's a combination between the fact he created his own persona after a sh!tty childhood, his troubles/ lack of chemistry with wifey, and sheer professional pioneer spirit that solidfies that comparison!

Who'd be Francisco? Banderas?

Dagny should be Jenn Connely, (strong, beautiful graceful elegant)

I don't really have a strong image of Francisco but I would probably go with someone like Eric Bana or maybe Bardem.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #2017
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

brad pitt and angelina jolie are apparently huge Rand fans and were in minor pursuit of the project while it was still in discussion. the final product looks absolutely disgustingly terrible and there are no big names attached.... whatever, i'll never watch it. but i remember while reading it i'd always picture Jolie as Dagny and Russell Crow as Reardon. not sure about Francisco but those two suggestions seem pretty good, especially Bardem.

i was looking through some Vidal stuff at the bookstore the other day. i remember deciding not to look into any of his stuff even after my interest was piqued by the same dasher recommendation (Creation was the title if memory serves me). it was because i was watching some videos of him on youtube and he was droning on about a bunch of conspiratorial mumbo jumbo that was just so obviously bullshit. then i read this Christopher Hitchens article that argued dude had just lost it. that made a lot of sense, but i still haven't picked up a book of his. the one i was purveying at the bookstore had such a ludicrously interesting plot though, it was literally about the crucifixion taking place in modernity, complete with crazed media attention and money politics and all of that. can't recall the name but it seemed pretty gosh darned ambitious.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #2018
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I could definitely see Pitt playing John Galt.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #2019
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - 10/10

BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #2020
Waking_Life
We Are Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
Bout the third time I read it, holds up everytime.
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #2021
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star

So far it's solid. I think the premise is more interesting than the story I am reading. I'm at the beginning of the 3rd act, so business may finally be about to pick up.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #2022
irondarts

Just finished this:

A really good, exhaustively researched book about the history of Area 51, it is NOT about Alien's, it covers the extensive secret military projects that have gone on at Area 51 since the 50's, from the making and testing of Spy Planes, Stealth planes, Drones which were built there during the Iraq war as well as the hundreds of Nuclear bombs they set off at Area 51 during the years. Really comprehensive book that I enjoyed a lot. Not about Aliens, although she offers a bizarre account of the Roswell incident and the remains which were sent from Area 51 in the last chapter.

Overall a great book.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #2023
irondarts

About to start this:

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #2024
skan72
Banned

skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #2025
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

i read The Stranger by Camus not too long ago... at the moment, i don't feel like i'm in any condition to do a review justice, but i do know that it struck a chord. i sort of expected a chord to be struck, and my knowledge of the quote "man in his nakedness faced with the absurd" sort of dulled the chord, but nevertheless, a powerful character powerfully written. i thoroughly enjoyed the brief quotes related to the interchangeability of one life for the next. i think the brevity is what gave it its thrust... with that writing style, had the point been pounded home, it wouldn't have meant nearly as much. it was an authentic account of a man who couldn't understand why anything around him, be it his surroundings or his fellow human beings, wound up the way it did. and it was that lack of understanding that drove him to acceptance... of the very point Camus meant to get across. absurdity only reaches so far as a proper explanation falls short. but the side characters weren't delved into with any real depth, it was all about Meursault and his dealings with his surroundings. a proper reflection upon the decisions of everybody around him may have fleshed out the story, but why bother when the main point is the randomness of everyday decisions? i loved every bit of it, looking forward to reading more of his work. it made for such an easy read i've got no reason not to check out more.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: