Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Things you would and wouldn't spend a lot of money on

Hateraid's thread inspired this thought what types of things would you spend a lot on and what things are you cheap with?

For instance two of his examples were Jeans and Sunglasses. Some people pay 100s for both of those, I'd never buy jeans over 60 dollars and I hate sunglasses.

Some people have never had an expensive meal but got 200 dollar shoes. Blows my mind. Only expensive clothing item I'd ever buy is a suit.

Anyway, I spend a shit ton on glass pipes but I know people who'd never spend more than 20 for a pipe.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Things you would and wouldn't spend a lot of money on

sunglasses are hard to make a case for but jeans aren't IMO

it's really hard to buy a cheap pair of jeans that look 'expensive'

it isn't hard to buy some knock off sunglasses though...sunglasses are an absolute must here in Dallas and I my two favorite pairs of sunglasses that I own are cheap $15 knock offs

Glad to inspire

Like I posted in the other thread, I advocate the idea of you do get what you pay for. Those higher end items have an overall better craftsmanship. sunglasses in that market even come with warranty's that last a lifetime. When you have an invested interest you call tell minor details. Not that there is anything wrong with being frugal.

The only thing I believe in paying a higher amount for is my liqour

Love Live Life

I'm pretty cheap all around. The only time I really spend a lot of money is when I'm out in the club and drunk or shopping for groceries.

I've spent 140-150 on bball shoes but they last me at least close to 2 years. I got some Sperrys that I've had for about 4-5 years now.

I'm not really a material guy like that. I know I probably get clowned for what I'm bout to say but when I shop for clothes I normally go to TJmax or Ross and get those cheap Chaps shirts for like 15 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~

it isn't hard to buy some knock off sunglasses though...sunglasses are an absolute must here in Dallas and I my two favorite pairs of sunglasses that I own are cheap $15 knock offs
    Would you say the lens quality is the same (Polarize/scratch proof/shatter proof)? The material they use ie. plastic to titanium/metal/etc.

I used to think this way until I bought my Gucci and also my $150 Arnettes. I also have a pair of jack and Jones for $15 that I use to slum in. There is a distinct difference. I feel like they are valued right

Not airballing my layups anymore Glass Ankles's Avatar

I would spend a lot on things I actually use often, items that make a real difference. Stuff like a comfortable bed, mattress, couch, sheets, towels, maybe a computer, etc. Would never spend too much on clothes, shoes or alcohol. I like the minimalist approach, never like buying stuff I don't use a ton. You know that moment when you visit your grandparents or cousins and see bunch of random crap in their garage and ask yourself wtf is all that doing there. I never want to have that in my own house so I keep everything simple.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Glad to inspire

Like I posted in the other thread, I advocate the idea of you do get what you pay for. Those higher end items have an overall better craftsmanship. sunglasses in that market even come with warranty's that last a lifetime. When you have an invested interest you call tell minor details. Not that there is anything wrong with being frugal.

The only thing I believe in paying a higher amount for is my liqour
    Oh I agree with you, but I wouldn't wear a 5 or 500 dollar pair of glasses I just don't like them. Jeans...I just don't consider them a luxury item because no one's going to a formal affair in jeans so I wouldn't want to buy a 300 pair. Pants get ****ed up if you wear them in normal life so why **** up 300 dollars. Also, the customers of most of the luxury jean brands are terrible people and I'm pretentious and don't want to be associated. Like I said I have 0 friends who'd spend 550 on a bong but here I am with one.

I don't spend a lot on underwear or accessories. Belts, wallets, shades etc. I'd spend up to

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Would you say the lens quality is the same (Polarize/scratch proof/shatter proof)? The material they use ie. plastic to titanium/metal/etc.

I used to think this way until I bought my Gucci and also my $150 Arnettes. I also have a pair of jack and Jones for $15 that I use to slum in. There is a distinct difference. I feel like they are valued right
    I am not sure about lens quality but I do feel like it is difficult for an outsider to be able to tell the difference between most knock offs and the real thing from a distance...in terms of style I feel like there isn't much difference.

Perhaps the real brand name glasses will hold up longer, and are crafted better/made...but you're talking about a difference of $10-$20 vs. $100-$200...it's an enormous difference in price...If my $15 glasses get lost or break I lose zero sleep.

"SHOULD" spend a lot on:

your phone

our phones have become so important to us in our daily lives...don't go cheap here...go ahead and break your bank for a good phone

JMO

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a car. Cars don't excite me, as long as it's comfortable and reliable I'm fine with it. I would never spend a significant portion of my income or savings on a car like some people do. My dad blew my mom's entire inheritence on a BMW he traded in 2 years later, that sort of thing is crazy to me.

I do spend a lot of money on vacations. Now it matters less. If I want to spend 5000 in a year on traveling that's fine, that doesn't really hurt that much. But when I was a student I'd blow 50-70% of my yearly disposable income on a trip easily, no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a car. Cars don't excite me, as long as it's comfortable and reliable I'm fine with it. I would never spend a significant portion of my income or savings on a car like some people do. My dad blew my mom's entire inheritence on a BMW he traded in 2 years later, that sort of thing is crazy to me.

I do spend a lot of money on vacations. Now it matters less. If I want to spend 5000 in a year on traveling that's fine, that doesn't really hurt that much. But when I was a student I'd blow 50-70% of my yearly disposable income on a trip easily, no regrets.
    I'm the opposite.

The monthly payment on my Ferrari 458 Italia is more than my mortgage.

Wouldn't spend a lot of money on:

a car. Unless I'm REALLY rolling in cash. For example, instead of getting a sexy, cool car, I went ahead and got a boring ass Toyota Camry Hybrid. Whatever, shit lasts forever, requires little maintenance, and I get nearly 40mpg, gas is real expensive in CA.

Electronics ACCESSORIES - those idiots out there who spend $40 on a Monster HDMI cable are just stupid

Jeans - no way I'm dropping $200 on designer jeans. A $30-60 pair is good enough for me.

Will spend a lot on:

Headphones and speakers. Not that I can afford a pair of $400 headphones or >$1k speaker set, but for the money I have I'll spend a lot on this.

Dank - would rather spend extra for some top shelf rather than get a a cheap 8th of mediocre weed

Beer - eh, I'll drink anything actually. But I definitely would rather buy a 6pack of a nice craft beer (Lagunitas, Boont, etc) that's $9 than a pack of coors/corona for cheaper
    Last edited by oarabbus; 09-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Yeah, I don't get the car thing either. In fact, I'm probably going to sell mine and go without one for the foreseeable future. Save money on upfront costs, maintenance, and insurance. My car isn't totally trustworthy now anyway so I usually end up renting if I'm taking a longish trip for business or recreation. The only other option I would go for is a cheap lease on a VW or something.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~

bad for your eyes long term they don't have the uv blocking that good ones do but they're so dark your pupils open up like it's night and let all the bad crap in.. go google a consumer report on them...

I'm outside a ton so I buy good sunglasses but not at 200 bucks a pop, you can usually find raybans or bolles on sale somewhere for less..

Jeans on the other hand.. i'm rough on shoes and jeans, levis do just fine... and shoes i usually hit up the nike or reebok outlet when its time to replace the old ones.. either way i can't justify paying a bunch for jeans or shoes, i just trash them