Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Wayman Tisdale breaks leg, cancer found

Don't know if it's been posted, but I loved watching Tisdale on the Richmond Kings teams.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2818951

Quote:
Fall down stairs leads to discovery of cancerous cyst

TULSA, Okla. -- Former Oklahoma basketball great Wayman Tisdale is undergoing treatment for a cancerous cyst discovered below his right knee after he broke his leg.

Tisdale, a 6-foot-9 Tulsa native who played 12 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, disclosed the cancer earlier this week on his Web site. He said the prognosis for his recovery is excellent.

"I am so pleased to report that my recovery will be 100 percent and that I have been told that I am otherwise cancer-free," Tisdale said.

"Maybe if he doesn't break his leg, they don't find [the cancer], so it's a blessing in disguise."
-- Former Oklahoma coach Billy Tubbs
Tisdale's Calabasas, Calif.-based personal manager, Earl Cole, said Friday that Tisdale would not do any interviews for at least two weeks.

On the Web site, the 42-year-old Tisdale said he broke the leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles, which Cole said happened Feb. 8. After the injury, Tisdale said doctors determined the cyst was the cause of the injury and removed it.

The Tulsa World reported that Tisdale's treatment is expected to last six months, starting with his first chemotherapy session next week, and he is scheduled to undergo knee-replacement surgery in Tulsa in May.

"Maybe if he doesn't break his leg, they don't find [the cancer], so it's a blessing in disguise," said Billy Tubbs, Tisdale's former coach who is now athletic director at Lamar.

Tisdale, now an award-winning jazz musician, said he has been told to curtail his touring and public appearances so that he can "recover properly." He said his next performance will be in January 2008 and that in the interim, he will work on a new album with the working title of "Rebound."

His latest album, "Way Up," debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's contemporary jazz chart.

"I want to thank you all for your kindness and well wishes, which, together with my desire to be with you again, may very well help me to recover sooner than expected," Tisdale said on his Web site.

In 1983, Tisdale became the first freshman ever to make The Associated Press' first-team All-America list. Since then, only three other freshmen -- including Kevin Durant of Texas and Greg Oden of Ohio State this season -- have matched that feat.

Tisdale was also an All-American in 1984 and 1985. He was the Big Eight Conference's player of the year in each of his three seasons with the Sooners and still holds Oklahoma's single-game, season and career scoring records. He played on the U.S. team that won the gold medal in the 1984 Olympic Games.

He went on to average 15.3 points per game during his pro career.

"Of course, you're very concerned about it, but it appears that it's been caught in time and that it hasn't spread to other parts of his body," Tubbs said. "When he told me about it, he seemed upbeat and the quote was that 'This is just going to take a minute.' He is positive as you need to be in that situation. I'm sure he will get a lot of prayers."
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Wayman Tisdale breaks leg, cancer found

I guess that's what you call a lucky break
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
I guess that's what you call a lucky break

Lucky ain't the word. That fall saved his life.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DØN
Tisdale was weak
Shut up tool
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DØN
Tisdale was weak

Thats real nice, be sensitive, the guy just found out he has cancer, have some respect.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
gaydad
I hit open layups

gaydad has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Lucky ain't the word. That fall saved his life.
looks more like a case of benign tumor to me
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

Tisdale was a very solid player. He averaged 20 a game over a 5 year span.. But anyways, his real calling in life is in music. He's won grammys awards right?
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

He was a better Jazz musician than player. The same for Bernie Williams.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

wow that is really a strange set of circunstances, he must have been pushed by his gaurdian angel, all the best to him... what's the name of the college coach that just went in to get his teeth cleaned and they found a cancerous cyst in his mouth?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: