Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: #30 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    but I don't know how people are ranking Stockton over Ewing.
    Problem is Ewing should have been on the board a while ago. Stockton too in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Can someone honestly give me a proper answer on the huge shock of Wade over Stockton ?
    It has to be based off of longevity. A healthy Wade from his 3rd season on is a better player than Stockton ever was, but 19 quality seasons is hard to ignore.

Think of it like this - What gives me a better chance of winning more championships, 9 years of Dwyane Wade(2 of which he was injured a good portion), or 19 years of John Stockton?

I'd still side with Wade just because he was that much better than Stockton, but I can still see where people might go with Stockton.

I bet if Willis Reed saw this thread he would go something like:

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    Problem is Ewing should have been on the board a while ago. Stockton too in my opinion.
    I wouldn't disagree with that. These rankings are always tricky when you try to add more to the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    It has to be based off of longevity. A healthy Wade from his 3rd season on is a better player than Stockton ever was, but 19 quality seasons is hard to ignore.

Think of it like this - What gives me a better chance of winning more championships, 9 years of Dwyane Wade(2 of which he was injured a good portion), or 19 years of John Stockton?

I'd still side with Wade just because he was that much better than Stockton, but I can still see where people might go with Stockton.
    Yeah, I can see what they mean, when you put it that way.

Even so, Stockton was always the sidekick. He was never the best player on his team. Wade was. And when you put into context the playoffs... it really has to go to Wade.

Eventually, I can see of people give Wade over Stockton clearly, when Wade gets more rings, but that doesn't he mean necessarily will play better than his past years. I also don't like that kind of reasoning.

drexler

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Steve Nash

Not airballing my layups anymore silenc's Avatar

Allen Iverson

Saw a basketball once

Stockton

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

In 9 years Wade won 2 titles, Stockton hasn't won playing 19 years in the League, so i won't try and think that way

Stockton is an amazing player and a great teammate who can run plays and control the tempo of the game, Wade can take a game in his hands and win it, there is the difference

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    Easily.

Problem is with these types of things at the start everyone is lasered in on the top guys. Everyone knows who's a top 10 player, 10-15 is fairly easy other than shuffling them up and down a spot or two it's somewhat preordained who you're going to vote for.

Once you get into the 20's though all bets are off, the role players start creeping into the discussion with the great players with secondary roles or shorter careers. With no clear cut rules to serve as a baseline for inclusion in the discussion the voting is all over the place

I've decided to go with Ewing over Drexler

anchored the 2nd and 4th best defenses of all-time relative to league averages (the other two being the 75 Bullets and the 08 Celtics; Russell's Celtics were consistently the best but didn't have any outlier seasons)

Considering Wade won two rings in 9 seasons as 1st or 2nd option and basically willed Miami to a title in 2006( questionable ref calls aside, that was an epic performance by any measure, and let's not forget Wade was just as good against the Pistons the previous round), and Stockton won zero in 19, odds are your chances are better with Wade. Stockton's a top 5 GOAT PG, top 3 GOAT passer, but he was not an alpha talent who could put a team on his back. Wade was very much a franchise-level alpha talent from 2005-2011.

Quote Originally Posted by magictricked
    Easily.

Problem is with these types of things at the start everyone is lasered in on the top guys. Everyone knows who's a top 10 player, 10-15 is fairly easy other than shuffling them up and down a spot or two it's somewhat preordained who you're going to vote for.

Once you get into the 20's though all bets are off, the role players start creeping into the discussion with the great players with secondary roles or shorter careers. With no clear cut rules to serve as a baseline for inclusion in the discussion the voting is all over the place
    This.

Willis Reed probably has the best resume and biggest impact of those left.
    2 championships, 1 MVP, two Finals MVP, stepped up in the playoffs (averaged 24 and 14 his first championship year) and considered a great defender.
    My vote goes to him.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I get the feeling that a lot of people never looked into Dave Cowens. He damn near won 2 MVPs(won one), won 2 rings, and unlike Reed wasnt something of a role player for one of them. For all the finals MVP talk...Reed was a 13/8 player those playoffs and only played like 10 more games in his career...he was done a couple years before their second ring. He wasnt an all star...or all nba...or anything. He was barely hanging on in the league having been hurt for like 3 years. He was finals MVP but he wasnt Willis Reed anymore.

And I respect reed more than I think most do. He was something in his youth. Footage of him in the 60s....dude was nice. Post moves...jumpers...ran the floor. Blocked shots. I could see him being great today.

But that second ring? He wasnt himself by then.