Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Atheism vs. Theism

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    How do you explain the mind? I'm really interested in knowing how it fits in with evolution or better yet the big bang theory. The existence of a mind is atop the list of "where the hell did this come from?" or "how the hell did that happen?"

Or how about new genetic cell information forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    How do you explain the mind? I'm really interested in knowing how it fits in with evolution or better yet the big bang theory. The existence of a mind is atop the list of "where the hell did this come from?" or "how the hell did that happen?"
    First of all it doesn't fit in with the big bang theory at all because it is trying to model a completely different phenomenon. The mind has as much to do with the big bang theory as it does with theories on cloud formation.

This gives a pretty good description of the earlier stages how the nervous system developed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoluti...ervous_systems

Once early nervous systems came into being the basis for more complex development could begin. Over millions of years specialization occurred and animals became more proficient and adaptable for surviving in different environments. Social animals were very successful and the more altruistic and self sacrificing the animal could be towards its group the more likely that group would survive. As time goes on and the social species (ancestral apes) become more complex they could spend more time caring for their young - giving the young more time to develop after birth. Neural capacity is now allowed to increase again and with it so does development of abstract thought and reasoning.

This is a very abridged version and I might edit it later - I'm sure some of it is wrong. I've been on holidays for 3 months (uni is only just going back this week) so my mind is kind of lazy and mushy right now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
    Or how about new genetic cell information forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.
    I'll explain with your quote. This is what you wrote:

Random mutation - deletion

Or how about new cell information forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - insertion

Or how about new cell forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. [COLOR="Red"]information [/COLOR]Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - translocation

Or how about new cell forming? In [COLOR="Red"]natural [/COLOR]for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and [COLOR="Red"]order [/COLOR]selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - duplication

Or how about new cell forming [COLOR="Red"]forming[/COLOR]? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - inversion

[COLOR="Red"]how[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Or[/COLOR] about new cell forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection do not explain this.

how Or [COLOR="Red"]do not explain this[/COLOR] forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection [COLOR="Red"]about new cell[/COLOR].

how Or do not explain this forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. [COLOR="Red"]In natural for a new species[/COLOR] information Mutation and order selection about new cell.

So this is what we started with:

This is what we ended with:

how Or do not explain this forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. In natural for a new species information Mutation and order selection about new cell.

Is that the same thing or a new thing? Do this over and over for millions of years and see what we get.
    Last edited by miller-time; 03-03-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    I'll explain with your quote. This is what you wrote:

Random mutation - deletion

Or how about new cell information forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - insertion

Or how about new cell forming? In order for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. [COLOR="Red"]information [/COLOR]Mutation and natural selection do not explain this.

Or how about new cell forming? In [COLOR="Red"]natural [/COLOR]for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and [COLOR="Red"]order [/COLOR]selection do not explain this.

Or how about new cell forming [COLOR="Red"]forming[/COLOR]? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection do not explain this.

Random mutation - inversion

[COLOR="Red"]how[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Or[/COLOR] about new cell forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection do not explain this.

how Or [COLOR="Red"]do not explain this[/COLOR] forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. information Mutation and order selection [COLOR="Red"]about new cell[/COLOR].

how Or do not explain this forming forming? In natural for a new species to come about there has to be a gain in information. In natural for a new species information Mutation and order selection about new cell.

So this is what we started with:

This is what we ended with:

Is that the same thing or a new thing?
    This is really messy and confusing to read. I'm struggling to even keep my eyes open but I will look it over tomorrow after work. Goodnight man.

But for this book (Bible) we could not know right from wrong.
    I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go.
    "Surely God would not have created such a being as man to exist only for a day! Man was made for immortality"
    What do atheist American's think of these quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
    This is really messy and confusing to read. I'm struggling to even keep my eyes open but I will look it over tomorrow after work. Goodnight man.
    It could have been better. But essentially each line has a random mutation which slightly changes the sentence. All you really need to look at is the original quote:

And then see how it has changed with random mutations:

The new sentence is not the same as the old one, it means something else - essentially it is a new thing. We didn't necessarily put in new information, we just used what was there by copying, shuffling, and removing elements.
    Last edited by miller-time; 03-04-2013 at 12:08 AM.

What do atheists from any nation think of this quote:

"In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence. "

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    What do atheists from any nation think of this quote:
    It was probably written by a normal person before 1859 or a scientifically illiterate or ignorant person after 1859.

It was probably written by a normal person before 1859 or a scientifically illiterate or ignorant person after 1859.
    Regardless of when it was written, it was written by Isaac Newton.

You should read up on him. He has a Wikipedia page.

Regardless of when it was written, it was written by Isaac Newton.

You should read up on him. He has a Wikipedia page.
    So I was right.

So I was right.
    Yes because you googled it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    If Newton believed in god then their must be a god. Thread over.
    True. I better get into alchemy then too. This iron isn't going to turn into gold all by itself!

Yes because you googled it.
    Well I can't really prove that one way or another. But I actually thought it was a young earth creationist quote than a Newton quote.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    If Newton believed in god then their must be a god. Thread over.
    No I am suggesting that perhaps the greatest scientist in history's observations/philosophy/thoughts on God should perhaps be considered, even if your brain is rock hard.

Serious playground baller AboveTheRim.'s Avatar

I grew up a Christian, going to Presbyterian church until I was 18. In the last few years I have gotten fed up with people who call themselves Christians solely because they go to church. It doesn't matter what they do the rest of the time, but as long as they get their 60 minutes in on Sunday, they are almighty. I don't consider myself Christian anymore. I do believe in God, but don't need a label to prove that to myself.