Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default I love playing with good teammates

I just got back from the gym and while I was there I played 3 on 3 with some older people. They were all much better than me, and I had these two guys on my team who were really good.

I was a little nervous at the beginning and they noticed, but they were cool with that. They called out screens for me, set them for me, and helped get me in the offense. They also called out picks and helped with the rotation. Also, I didn't just get the ball, they made sure I cut and was in the right position before they passed it to me.

As a younger player, I really respected that. Most of the time, when I play with more experienced players, they either ball hog or don't care. But it's always appreciated whenever an experienced player helps me out, cause I don't know much about high level ball.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I love playing with good teammates

That's one of the greatest joys of basketball. Nothing beats playing on a solid team and watching your opponents squirm as you make it rain.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

yeah, it's awesome. Like in a park near me, there are alot of old guys. When I play with them they don't pass the ball a lot to me. When they do, they just want it back. Then when I play with like 25-30 year olds. They get me involve and know what I can do. My hope is to learn to be like them.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Every now and then you will find a teammate who knows how to play to your strengths. Like I have a buddy who will pass the ball so he isn't hogging it, but he won't put you in good situations. A person who knows when to get you the ball and the right spots for you to be successful is the best kind of teammate. I play with a lot of guys who take it to the rack, but they don't look for teammates most of the times. Then there are other guys who drive it hard and and find you in good spots. Other guys set good screens and roll to the rim... or other things that most pick up ballers won't do.

But yea anytime you play with people you love playing with, that's the best time. That will keep you coming back.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

that only works if everyone on the team knows how to play it right

most of the time in random pick up games, it's more effective for the better player to just dominate the game, because you dont always get rewarded for doing the right thing because less experienced players can't make the right decision or see the court like the more experienced do

@bobbyflay try playing the pass first role and observe what your teammates are capable of in the first 5 minutes, then decide how you need to play. you should have a fairly good idea how competent your team is or is not against the competition by then

at the end of the day, it's about winning , even if it means you need to ball hog
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree that it can be something special to run with a team of guys all on or above your own level. I'll say I definitely benefit from having at least one guy on my team that has more talent than I do. I tend to do more damage when the other team is not all focusing on me.

Another crazy benefit from playing with good teammates that I never really thought of until I started running point - assists become a lot easier to come by. Playing on a team full of legitimate college-level shooters, it's kind of interesting to rifle a random pass to the corner and have a teammate consistantly drill the open look. It's the easiest assist ever.

On the flip side, I've had at least one experience where playing with a good teammate was not as great as it probably should have been. He was a pretty good ballplayer, minor league level (take that for what you will) and he was solid enough to drop 40-50 on a consistant basis in rec league games against other mid-level former college ballplayers.

The issue came with the fact he was our best scoring option (shot a great percentage) and therefore took the vast majority of our teams' shots. It felt like being Kobe's teammate in the mid-2000's. You recognize how spectacular he is, but it can be extremely tough to find any kind of offensive groove when he's going on one of his game-long offensive surges. I guess that's a good problem to have though. Surely beats the heck out of playing with a teammate who thinks he's great and thereby pounds the ball into the floor each possession before firing up a wild shot.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster

Good teamates are important. IT's not so much about skill, but about basketball IQ. You like having teamates that know the fundamentals, pick up on screens and give and go's and know how to rotate on defense.

Sometimes old guys are great to play with because they have solid fundamentals, but sometimes they get too upset over little fouls or other minor issues.
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Always got to enjoy playing with people that don't slack on defense.. and won't hog the ball. Playing with a team when they are willing to make the extra pass is awesome.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

JohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

once u play wit shit teammates u realize how good it is 2 play wit guys who understand da game
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Congrats on being able to analyze your own game and what makes it better! A great sign for you going forward.

As great as it is to find some good teammates, it's even better...and better for your game...to find good opponents.

My sister is 4 years older than me, so a HS senior when I was in 8th grade. Big, tall kid, 8th grade hot shot, who didn't think the big boys looked so tough. They let me tag along and I got my ass kicked daily. I swear, my forehead had the "Spalding" logo reverse imprinted on it from all the shots that came back at my face.

But, sooner rather than later, I found stuff I could do. As I grew and developed as a player, I still sought out the best opponents I could find. Probably the single biggest factor in the growth of my game.

Had a very talented buddy who played mostly with his friends. Only one decent baller in the bunch, but he liked hanging out with them. Dominated every day. Never grew as a player and ended up going nowhere.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, I agree, it's also a lot more fun when your opponents are good. It's good to know that you're progressing when you play against skilled players, because you'll notice over time that you can start to hang on their level and eventually play along the same level as them.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Where I live, there's hardly any players like the ones you mentioned. I try to be that guy every time I play, and I think I do a good job of it. But almost any player with bball skill around here, is a ballhog and bad teammate. They get attitudes when you make a call, piss and moan at their teammates.

For that reason I hardly ever play with people outside of my friends. Some other posters said that will stunt your bball growth, and that's probably true. But for me it's about enjoying the game and making your teammates better. I'm not a great player by any means anyway, it's not like I plan to play any competitive ball in the future. Ya know?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
stevieming
Serious playground baller

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I agree that it can be something special to run with a team of guys all on or above your own level. I'll say I definitely benefit from having at least one guy on my team that has more talent than I do. I tend to do more damage when the other team is not all focusing on me.

Another crazy benefit from playing with good teammates that I never really thought of until I started running point - assists become a lot easier to come by. Playing on a team full of legitimate college-level shooters, it's kind of interesting to rifle a random pass to the corner and have a teammate consistantly drill the open look. It's the easiest assist ever.

On the flip side, I've had at least one experience where playing with a good teammate was not as great as it probably should have been. He was a pretty good ballplayer, minor league level (take that for what you will) and he was solid enough to drop 40-50 on a consistant basis in rec league games against other mid-level former college ballplayers.

The issue came with the fact he was our best scoring option (shot a great percentage) and therefore took the vast majority of our teams' shots. It felt like being Kobe's teammate in the mid-2000's. You recognize how spectacular he is, but it can be extremely tough to find any kind of offensive groove when he's going on one of his game-long offensive surges. I guess that's a good problem to have though. Surely beats the heck out of playing with a teammate who thinks he's great and thereby pounds the ball into the floor each possession before firing up a wild shot.

Yeah, it sucks to recognise he is a better scoring option, but it means on a personal level (having fun and enjoying scoring yourself) is more difficult, as you realise if you shoot it, it's less likely to go in compared to the better player...
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
JoelJ
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JoelJ has an OK reputation so far

It's awesome when the teammates are good. It makes for a much more enjoyable game IMO.
JoelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: