they are virtually the same except gee has proven himself

great defense
    both the same height
    both struggle with their shot
    both can get inside
    both have alot of athleticism

MKG is not worth the second pick... andre iguodala ceiling
    My god, man...

First, Gee is a pretty good defender. MKG is going to be an elite defender in this league and probably soon. He has all of the things that go into a great defender (not merely good)... Excellent on-ball, versatile (can defend positions 1-3/4), plays the passing lanes well, can protect the rim...

He will be an elite defender in the NBA. I've never been so sure of a perimeter player's ability on that end of the floor.

Offensively, he is a freak athlete with a great first step, an excellent handle for his position and a great ability to finish around the basket. He doesn't have much wasted motion and he is also a very good passer for his position (he made many, many hockey assists in his first year at Kentucky for wide open shots).

In transition, he will be one of the best players in the league (both offensively and defensively).

His rebounding is way above average for his position, both offensively and defensively.

Also, while his shooting stroke isn't great, it also isn't as awful as some will have you believe. Awful shooters don't make 75-percent of their free throws in their freshman year in college. He is a hard enough worker to become a capable shooter and, considering his athleticism and all of the others areas he excels in...

If this guy isn't a No. 2 pick, who the hell is? Gee would be best suited as a rotation player on a good team. MKG would be a vital cog on a good team... A perimeter Ibaka, if you will. Comparing MKG to Gee is flat-out disrespectful for a guy who offers this much to whomever takes him.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-08-2012 at 01:44 AM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Brad Beal

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    Bob Finnan: Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal said he measured 6-4 today. Also, UConn's Andre Drummond said he lost 22 pounds Twitter

Beal is meeting with #Cavs today. He said he has heard they're are interested in him, but he hasn't had any communication with them until now. "I'd love to play with Kyrie Irving," he said. Sulia

Jason Lloyd: Beal is promoting himself as a combo guard, which is interesting. Part of it could be height stigma. Most see him as strictly a 2. Twitter

Jason Lloyd: Bradley Beal said he measured in officially this morning at 6-4. If that's true, it's bigger than quite a few people were expecting. Twitter
    I've heard he actually measured in as 6'4.25", but it hasn't been reported whether or not that was with shoes or without shoes. Either way, it goes along way toward helping his draft stock.

Here are some notable SGs in Beal's height range and their measurements at the combine...

Eric Gordon
    w/o shoes - 6'2"
    w/ shoes - 6'3.25"

Avery Bradley
    w/o shoes 6'2"
    w/ shoes - 6'3.25"

MarShon Brooks
    w/o shoes - 6'4.25"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.25"

James Harden
    w/o shoes - 6'4"
    w shoes - 6'5.25"

Gerald Henderson
    w/o shoes - 6'4"
    w/ shoes - 6'5"

Tyreke Evans
    w/o shoes - 6'4"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.25"

Jordan Crawford
    w/o shoes - 6'4"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.5"

Danny Green
    w/o shoes - 6'4.5"
    w/shoes - 6'6"

OJ Mayo
    w/o shoes - 6'3.25"
    w/ shoes - 6'4.25"

Nick Young
    w/o shoes - 6'5"
    w/ shoes - 6'6.75"

Daequan Cook
    w/o shoes - 6'3.75"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.75" (must have been wearing 2" heels)

JJ Redick
    w/o shoes - 6'4"
    w/ shoes - 6'4.75"

Monta Ellis
    w/o shoes - 6'2.25"
    w/ shoes - 6'3.25"

Tony Allen
    w/o shoes - 6'3.5"
    w/ shoes - 6'4.25"

Delonte West
    w/o shoes - 6'1.5"
    w/ shoes - 6'2.75"

Ben Gordon
    w/o shoes - 6'1"
    w/ shoes - 6'2.25"

Dwyane Wade
    w/o shoes - 6'3.75"
    w/ shoes - 6'4.75"

Gilbert Arenas
    w/o shoes - 6'2.25"
    NA

Jason Richardson
    w/o shoes - 6'4.75"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.75"

Michael Redd
    w/o shoes - 6'4.75"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.75"

Jamal Crawford
    w/o shoes - 6'4.5"
    w/ shoes - 6'5.5"

Derek Anderson
    w/o shoes - 6'3.25"
    NA

Larry Hughes
    w/o shoes - 6'4.5"
    NA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Offensively, he is a freak athlete with a great first step, an excellent handle for his position and a great ability to finish around the basket. He doesn't have much wasted motion and he is also a very good passer for his position (he made many, many hockey assists in his first year at Kentucky for wide open shots).

In transition, he will be one of the best players in the league (both offensively and defensively).

Also, while his shooting stroke isn't great, it also isn't as awful as some will have you believe. Awful shooters don't make 75-percent of their free throws in their freshman year in college. He is a hard enough worker to become a capable shooter and, considering his athleticism and all of the others areas he excels in...
    Well, not going to weigh in on the fact that MKG is an amazing defender and obviously better than Gee.

However, I must disagree with some of your points regarding his offense.

To start off, his handle is NOT excellent by any means. He's a beast in the open court, but in a half court setting, he's really not a guy you can run an offense through. You're not going to want him to much ball handling, doing iso's/breaking defenses down and while he's a good and a willing passer he's not exactly a playmaker for either people either. He's not a guy that can slash or find space using his handles but moreso depends heavily on that first step.

Now I realize that all you did was give him credit for a good handle, but considering it's at the SF spot at a top 3 pick, I would hope that he's much more capable of offensively. However, this isn't his fault but more of the fact that the draft isn't that great star wise. Also, the key word with offense is "in transition". Considering he's not the best half court player, a lot of his success as a scorer will rely on the tempo of the team, which makes him limited in that regard.

A lot of his offense in Kentucky from what I saw was powering down and posting smaller players thanks to Jones and Davis. But I don't know if that kind of stuff will fly in the NBA.

I do think that his shot mechanics will improve, but until they do, it's REALLY going to hurt him. Shooting stroke and free throw shooting is really different in my opinion. Because he shoots so damn weird and from a low release point, it affects a lot of things in his game - off the dribble, pull up, shooting in transition, increasing the likelihood of getting blocked, etc.

He's a damn good player, no doubt, but he's got a holes he needs to fix.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    Well, not going to weigh in on the fact that MKG is an amazing defender and obviously better than Gee.

However, I must disagree with some of your points regarding his offense.

To start off, his handle is NOT excellent by any means. He's a beast in the open court, but in a half court setting, he's really not a guy you can run an offense through. You're not going to want him to much ball handling, doing iso's/breaking defenses down and while he's a good and a willing passer he's not exactly a playmaker for either people either. He's not a guy that can slash or find space using his handles but moreso depends heavily on that first step.

Now I realize that all you did was give him credit for a good handle, but considering it's at the SF spot at a top 3 pick, I would hope that he's much more capable of offensively. However, this isn't his fault but more of the fact that the draft isn't that great star wise. Also, the key word with offense is "in transition". Considering he's not the best half court player, a lot of his success as a scorer will rely on the tempo of the team, which makes him limited in that regard.

A lot of his offense in Kentucky from what I saw was powering down and posting smaller players thanks to Jones and Davis. But I don't know if that kind of stuff will fly in the NBA.

I do think that his shot mechanics will improve, but until they do, it's REALLY going to hurt him. Shooting stroke and free throw shooting is really different in my opinion. Because he shoots so damn weird and from a low release point, it affects a lot of things in his game - off the dribble, pull up, shooting in transition, increasing the likelihood of getting blocked, etc.

He's a damn good player, no doubt, but he's got a holes he needs to fix.
    Well, I'm not trying to act as though he is a LeBron James-esque playmaking 3. However, I was impressed with his ability to beat the initial defender off of the dribble, keep his head up and feed Davis with lobs (I saw him do that quite a bit). Now, a lot of it had to do with Davis being as beastly as he was around the basket, but for a guy as big as MKG moving as fast as he does when his momentum gets going, it isn't an easy thing to maintain the kind of dexterity it takes to deliver an on-point lob.

Also, we have to keep in mind that he is still a work in progress. That isn't just about his shooting mechanics, but his understanding of what spots on the floor he needs to reach and where his teammates will be when he gets there.

As a playmaker, MKG looked raw to me in his first year at Kentucky, but that shouldn't be a surprise since he was a young 18-year-old. I still think he possesses the athleticism, skill, patience and balance to be a good playmaker on the next level. It will take time, just like his jumpshot, but the promise is there.

As far as the free throw thing... A lot of guys struggle with their jumper and free throws because they have large hands and it disrupts the rotation on the ball. The fact that MKG gets pretty good rotation on the ball at the line and makes them at a good clip tells me that this is not the issue.... It isn't something physical that is going to be there regardless of how much work he puts in... It is a mechanical thing.

And, when I hear about a guy who puts as much work in as MKG, I have to think that he will take the proper steps with his mechanics to become a capable perimeter scorer.

He's not a perfect player. He has holes just like almost every other big-time prospect who has ever been drafted. But, his ceiling is a hell of a lot higher than Iggy, imo. I think his ceiling could be Scottie Pippen, who was actually a much worse shooter than MKG at this stage of their respective careers.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-08-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    they are virtually the same except gee has proven himself

great defense
    both the same height
    both struggle with their shot
    both can get inside
    both have alot of athleticism

MKG is not worth the second pick... andre iguodala ceiling
    And yet gee wouldn't crack lottery if he were thrown in the draft with this class right now. But MGK and Gee are are the same. Cavs fans should be thankful youre not drafting