Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Default Trade Bynum and Keep Lamar?(Very Interesting Read)

Quote:
Lamar Odom Update

In response to Titi's request, here's my take on Lamar Odom now -- and Kwame Brown, about whom Titi also inquired: Both had their seasons fall short of what they could've been because of injury, but one I've come to have more respect for and belief in over the course of the past season, one I've come to have less.

Odom scored 34 in the opener (Kobe Bryant didn't play) and scored 33 in the finale, and never in between did he score as much -- but I think he will ramp up his scoring next season if he's a Laker again. It's easy to forget now that Odom was playing just the kind of game that the Lakers wanted early in the season; he scored when they needed some, and Bryant wasn't overburdened -- and Odom was doing so much of the other things. He wasn't necessarily going to be an All-Star, he wasn't necessarily running the offense the way Scottie Pippen could, but L.O. was definitely better than before.

If he doesn't have to have surgery (or two surgeries) this summer, I'd say Odom is primed for a strong season next season considering all the strife going into this season with his son dying. Surgeries, however, ruin offseason training and preparation, so that could be a problem if he can't heal on his own.

That said, I'd say that trading Odom this summer is more of a huge risk than trading Andrew Bynum, because Odom is a lot closer to playing All-Star ball -- and trading Odom in a deal where you get a top veteran player back doesn't necessarily help. It's not adding a top veteran player, it's trying to upgrade to a better one. And depending on who it is, there'll be an adjustment for the new guy and questions about how well he deals with playing with Bryant.

Check out my column for my view on trading Bynum (do it!): http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1682642.php

I was pretty high on Brown entering the season after what he did last playoffs against Phoenix, but the dude might well be a hypochondriac -- which isn't that convenient when you're a pro athlete, especially a big man. It's obvious Phil Jackson has given up on the idea that he can mold Brown into something consistent, too, even as useful as his defense and his screen-setting are. He doesn't know the offense, and he doesn't care to work on his hands or his foul shooting. It's a shame -- he just turned 25 in March! -- but he is what he is. Michael Jordan did warn Jackson.

http://blogs.ocregister.com/lakers/a...upda.html#more
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Trade Bynum and Keep Lamar?(Very Interesting Read)

thanks Cool. good find.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
thanks Cool. good find.

Thanks man, I read it and it got me thinking what if this guy is right and Lamar is an all-star next year.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

I agree whole heartedly with that statement. Bynum could turn out to be a stud, but really, how many of these kids are touted as the next Shaq, Kareem, Wilt and turn out to be bags? Trade Bynum now while his stock is high.

Did you read the article that he wrote (embedded in the article you posted)? About those who cared and who didn't? I think you could take the ones who didn't care and trade them for some vets who would care to put along with Lamar, Bryant, Walton, Turiaf (that should be the core to build off of).

Good find Cool.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc
I agree whole heartedly with that statement. Bynum could turn out to be a stud, but really, how many of these kids are touted as the next Shaq, Kareem, Wilt and turn out to be bags? Trade Bynum now while his stock is high.

Did you read the article that he wrote (embedded in the article you posted)? About those who cared and who didn't? I think you could take the ones who didn't care and trade them for some vets who would care to put along with Lamar, Bryant, Walton, Turiaf (that should be the core to build off of).

Good find Cool.

Yea I read that a while ago, thats a pretty good read also. My favorite part of that article was this.

Quote:
Bynum's growth this past season has validated the younger Buss' initial vision — and increased Bynum's trade value to insane proportions. Other clubs don't call about Lamar Odom; they call about Bynum. And so Jim Buss' coming-out party can come even sooner if he cashes in his blue chip.

Consider what Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh (yes, the guy who could trade Jermaine O'Neal this summer) told the Newark Star-Ledger about Bynum this season: "That kid is working out with Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into Kareem. I'm not kidding. I can't imagine what he'll be like at 23."

That means his VALUE is through the roof and while it is we need to do some sort of trade.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I have read quite a few articles that state the Lakers should keep LO.... which has kind of surprised me... but since I am an LO fan, I am good with it.

The Lakers definitely have some tough challenges coming up and hopefully they will make some good decisions for once!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

LO7 is a smart player too, understands the triangle, so does Luke.
Keep them.

WHO CAN WE GET FOR KWAME AND BYNUM????

I WOULD OTHERS AND PICKS FOR A TOP-15 PLAYER (EG, COOK, MIHM,
SASHA, ........)
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
LO7 is a smart player too, understands the triangle, so does Luke.
Keep them.

WHO CAN WE GET FOR KWAME AND BYNUM????

I WOULD OTHERS AND PICKS FOR A TOP-15 PLAYER (EG, COOK, MIHM,
SASHA, ........)
I was hoping to trade Bynum, Brown and a filler for JO. These two players are much younger then JO. The pacer will need to rebuilt there team anyway..
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

I've remained pretty quiet since the Lakers got bounced from the playoffs. I've read the rumors (KG, JO, and Gasol). My thoughts haven't changed regarding what I think the front office should do this summer.

Everybody is focusing on players who aren't free agents and I think that is a mistake. The only teams I know of that have a lot of money to spend under the cap is the Magic, Bobcats and Hawks. Everybody else basically has the Mid level exception.

Gerald Wallace would improve the team and he is a free agent.
Steve Blake would help us at the point and he is a free agent.
We could use more perimeter shooting and Jason Kapono is a free agent.
Mike Bibby is a free agent and Sacramento could look to rebuild.
Rashard Lewis will surely give Kobe a scoring option to pass to and he is a free agent.
There are other players will be looking for money not many teams can give them.

All the Lakers have to do is frame a nice contract and offer to the player or players of their choice. In comes sign and trade talks and with a player like Kwame Brown (a big with an expiring contract) becomes huge. A team could lose a player and get nothing in return, or lose a player and get something back in return. When the salary cap ties the hands of practically every single NBA GM, sign and trades are very valuable. The Lakers can keep Odom, Radmanovic, and Bynum, and bring in someone who could really help this team and make Kobe happy. This is a much more realistic option than gutting your team for a superstar.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionone
I've remained pretty quiet since the Lakers got bounced from the playoffs. I've read the rumors (KG, JO, and Gasol). My thoughts haven't changed regarding what I think the front office should do this summer.

Everybody is focusing on players who aren't free agents and I think that is a mistake. The only teams I know of that have a lot of money to spend under the cap is the Magic, Bobcats and Hawks. Everybody else basically has the Mid level exception.

Gerald Wallace would improve the team and he is a free agent.
Steve Blake would help us at the point and he is a free agent.
We could use more perimeter shooting and Jason Kapono is a free agent.
Mike Bibby is a free agent and Sacramento could look to rebuild.
Rashard Lewis will surely give Kobe a scoring option to pass to and he is a free agent.
There are other players will be looking for money not many teams can give them.

All the Lakers have to do is frame a nice contract and offer to the player or players of their choice. In comes sign and trade talks and with a player like Kwame Brown (a big with an expiring contract) becomes huge. A team could lose a player and get nothing in return, or lose a player and get something back in return. When the salary cap ties the hands of practically every single NBA GM, sign and trades are very valuable. The Lakers can keep Odom, Radmanovic, and Bynum, and bring in someone who could really help this team and make Kobe happy. This is a much more realistic option than gutting your team for a superstar.

Agree entirely. Yet the challenge is always to a) to entice the player so much so that he would want to uproot from his current home (cause his current team will likely match the offer if he is good) and b) get him to force the sign/trade.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc

YES trade him now and take the risk in favor of you b/c if he goes somewhere else there goes a student of kareem, bynum will not get great teaching somewhere else so the odds of him being an all-star arnt going to be very good
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: