Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default A Win and 4 Grizz each score 20+

It has to be said that the Grizz just aren't showing what they are capable of. On paper, this team looks like it should be battling for a playoff spot, but instead they are battling for not finishing last. I had high hopes for this team at the beginning of the season and I'm sure many of you guys did, but I have been let down, considerably.

I didn't see the game last night, but I did see the highlights and the box score, not enough to warrant a decent opinion, but I guess I could still give some enlightenment.

The first thing I noticed was the amazing statline that Bobby Jones dropped, 20 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals with a block to go along with it. Maybe this is the piece that Memphis have been missing, he was given a decent amount of playing time and was able to produce something pretty damn impressive, though I'm sure this will change when Gay comes back. Or maybe this was just a one game thing, and Bobby vanished back into his hole, which isn't something I'm looking forward to.

The second thing I noticed was that Gasol has continued is reign of terror. Dropping yet another great game. During January he has averaged;

23.8 ppg
11.4 rpg
3.3 apg
2.1 bpg

At the beginning of the season Pau was struggling to get into a rhythm. Now it seems that he has found that rhythm and hopefully he won't slow down.

Even though I'm thrilled about a win and the performance from our guys, I'm still a little skeptical, as to whether this team can get it's act together. Sure we got a win, but it was against Seattle, nothing special, nothing to write home about. I hope this is a sign of things to come, I would like it to be, but something tells me that this is just Memphis having a good game and not something we can do consistently.

Last edited by Kebab Stall : 01-19-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Default Re: A Win and 4 Grizz each score 20+

seattle always makes the grizz look good. back to reality tonight with another loss to the bobcats.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

You are 100% right. We blew it again vs. Charlotte.

Iavaroni said that we didn't have any bench support. I guess to sustain a running game the he wants you do need someone athletic off the bench to give you score in bunches (e.g. barbosa). Miller missed this game and poof! JCN starts and we have no bench. When healthy, we have JCN and Lowry as primary bench contributors and Swift to pick up garbage points. It still wouldn't be enough. A nice big scoring wing would probably be nice.

I wonder how you guys think of starting Bobby Jones for the rest of the year. At least that is one guy who doesn't want to score. Miller can go back to the 6th man role he seems very good at.

C - Darko / Swift
PF - Gasol / Warrick
SF - Gay / Miller
SG - Jones / JCN
PG - Conley / Lowry

F*ck Jacobsen

or if Iavaroni REALLY wants to run, bring in JCN to start at SG and slide Gay to PF. We'd be smaller but it doesn't really matter. We usually get burned at end game with zero perimeter D. Pau and Darko can't be our first line of defense. Having Bobby Jones out there could kinda hold the team together.

On a side note getting rid of Stoudamire should've been done 3 months ago.

Thoughts? Reactions?
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
C - Darko / Swift
PF - Gasol / Warrick
SF - Gay / Miller
SG - Jones / JCN
PG - Conley / Lowry

F*ck Jacobsen

you know, i'm not a fan of most of the players on this team, so it's pretty hard to impress me with a lineup suggestion, but thats probably the best possible rotation.. i like it.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Putting Miller as the 6th man seems like a good idea. Right now the only guy we have coming off the bench who brings energy is Navarro, Kinsey would be another, but whatever. If we also put Miller there, it's going to bring alot more energy off the bench.

Jones looks like he could fit in well here. Sure, we're not looking at a guy who's going to give us 15 a night, but he looks like a guy who will do his job and do it well. Maybe averages of around 6ppg and 3rpg.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
berraco
Darko The Ripper

We need a couple of guys like Bobby for the defensive end. Should be a good a idea to start him.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

See this is what I hate.Bobby jones has a good game and people think he is worthy of starting or getting a nice amount of playing time.He is an ok defender.He should get any minutes that casey jacobson was stealing. I like miller off the bench.I would start warrik or swift.Then have miller,lowry,and navarro off the bench.Your starting lineup wouldnt get killed on the boards.Also that would leave alot more shots for pau and gay.Just a thought.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

It is not he made a good game in the offensive end, but that he is probably the best defender in the team. The Grizz has been killed so many times at the beginning of the games that I think they need someone like him to fire the defensive attitude of the team. In fact, they need 3 Bruce Bowen but if you only have Bobby, you have to use Bobby. It doesn't mean he deserves 30 minutes per game, but he needs to be used in the right moments, and one of them could easily be at the start of each game.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
jailer
MillionDollarException

I dont know lets give him some more games.You forget he was helping miller guard lebron when he scored 51 on the grizz.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I dont know lets give him some more games.You forget he was helping miller guard lebron when he scored 51 on the grizz.

Not so much on his side. I didn't watch the game, but checking the boxscore I see he played less than 5 minutes that day, and there was an overtime too.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Not so much on his side. I didn't watch the game, but checking the boxscore I see he played less than 5 minutes that day, and there was an overtime too.
My bad I only saw highlights of him getting dunked on.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: