Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Well this is nothing new to those knowledgeable about how NBA lists heights now.

LOL at those struggling to maintain the image of their heroes being taller and bigger than everyone else.

Only issue I have is that some of the players have obviously grown taller than what they were measured pre-draft. Durant clearly has grown an inch or more and Dwight probably has gained about an inch since being drafted. It's very common for an 18 year old to grow another inch before her reaches 21 you know.

Banned

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

This is amazing. I was always looking for one with 'all' the great/tallest centres in NBA history in one picture. (including manute bol, yao, mutumbo etc). Do you have one?

It would be 'the' height chart of NBA centers for reference on the internet.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    i don't think these are scaled. wilt's head isn't THAT much bigger than everybody else's

also, it's funny that anthony davis can't easily palm a basketball

What do you mean its funny?

Funny how?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GucciBandana
    nice pics, but do you have proof that Wilt is over 7'1" barefeet?

btw Pre draft measurements might be true at the time, but not necessarily true today, players might grow 1 inch or so since the draft, specially high school players. also measurements around or before early 2000's seems not as organized, today's measurements would measure both height with or without shoes, but back then some of the measurements or missing, could be mixed up or something.

Dwight Howard is the same height as Chris Bosh on Team USA, he's around 6'11" with shoes on, makes him taller than his predraft measurements.

when you put pics of players together, make sure the camera angle and posture are all similar, or else it could make the comparison inaccurate, I made this photo to compare standing reaches back then:

my conclusion was Yao has the highest standing reach, 295+(over 9'8"), then Mutombo close to 9'8", Chandler and McGee were measured. Gasol and Shaq both around 9'6.5"-9'7".
    I don't remember which one but it's in a book too.... but it was in several hoops rags back in the day. It was darn near global news at the time, on national tv and newspapers and everything.

A doctor determined that the truest way to measure a man's height is very early in the morning when he first wakes up. Apparently your spine compresses over the day, so immediately after waking is the time to do it.

Also this doctor said the absolute correct way is to have the subject lay out flat, so you get measured horizontally, see?

So they wheeled a bed in and Chamberlain slept in it. Presumably alone I dunno.
    As soon as he woke up he laid on a table and they got the tape out.
    And the doctor measured him at exactly 7'1 & 1/16".

edit ~ Well I just googled and found another one. This is from 1980 but it's not the picture I remember from the newspapers because he was in a jersey and it was in the '60s.

http://www.thetallestman.com/whoisth...=1014&start=30
    in that forum it talks about his doctor saying 7'1& 1/16.
    Maybe the memories are wrong???
    Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 07-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Can you add my man Bruno Caboclo?

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    I don't remember which one but it's in a book too.... but it was in several hoops rags back in the day. It was darn near global news at the time, on national tv and newspapers and everything.

A doctor determined that the truest way to measure a man's height is very early in the morning when he first wakes up. Apparently your spine compresses over the day, so immediately after waking is the time to do it.

Also this doctor said the absolute correct way is to have the subject lay out flat, so you get measured horizontally, see?

So they wheeled a bed in and Chamberlain slept in it. Presumably alone I dunno.
    As soon as he woke up he laid on a table and they got the tape out.
    And the doctor measured him at exactly 7'1 & 1/16".

edit ~ Well I just googled and found another one. This is from 1980 but it's not the picture I remember from the newspapers because he was in a jersey and it was in the '60s.

http://www.thetallestman.com/whoisth...=1014&start=30
    in that forum it talks about his doctor saying 7'1& 1/16.
    Maybe the memories are wrong???
    Not sure about this, but if it were in the 80's, than it is altogether possible that he had lost some height (I was amazed to find out that I had lost nearly two inches in the last 20 years myself.)

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Not sure about this, but if it were in the 80's, than it is altogether possible that he had lost some height (I was amazed to find out that I had lost nearly two inches in the last 20 years myself.)
    yeah lot of us got that same trouble

One thing was for certain...other than Kareem...Chamberlain just TOWERED over his peers, including the 6-10 Russell, the 6-11 Bellamy, and the 6-11 Thurmond. And I still remember Hot Rod Hundley claiming that Wilt was taller than Gilmore in the 71-72 ABA-NBA ASG (although it doesn't show up in the youtube footage.) With his afro, Gilmore was rumored to be 7-5, and Hundley claimed that Wilt was taller.

KAJ was slightly taller, but Wilt had a longer wingspan, and a higher vertical.

Interesting take on the Gilmore-Wilt H2H in the '72 ABA-NBA ASG.

Listen in near the end of the footage at about the 1:19:00 mark...

"Wilt was two inches taller than Gilmore"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN17x5up5n4

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

can you do barea and wilt wingspan comparison please

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

NBA already scaled Wilt and Dwight here : http://youtu.be/OfvproRmoF0?t=58s

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    NBA already scaled Wilt and Dwight here : http://youtu.be/OfvproRmoF0?t=58s
    The NBA didn't make that, a visual effects person did, and he or she had to get a 6-9 Dwight to cover up the giant 7-2 without shoes Kareem who is the actual player that took that shot. Dwight would be dwarfed by Wilt if that was scaled properly

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The NBA didn't make that, a visual effects person did, and he or she had to get a 6-9 Dwight to cover up the giant 7-2 without shoes Kareem who is the actual player that took that shot. Dwight would be dwarfed by Wilt if that was scaled properly
    But there are those that honestly believe (well, probably not HONESTLY) that Wilt would be an average center in today's NBA.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I think that the NBA know a little more about basketball than any of us Dan

Wilt claimed that he was "only" 7-1 1/16th, but only Kareem appeared taller (I didn't see any of the brutal massacres that Chamberlain leveled against the 7-3 Swede Halbrook.) And I believe Kareem claimed that he was "only" 7-1 5/8ths. Yet both were considerably taller than the other seven-footers of their eras.

And as Hot Rod Hundley mentioned in that ABA-NBA ASG footage, Wilt was NOTICEABLY taller than Gilmore. And I have never read any accounts of Gilmore being less than 7-2.

Waht was laughable was the Houston Rockets "Twin Towers" of Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon. Sampson was listed at 7-4, but was no more than 7-1 1/2 (and was DWARFED by the 7-3 Mark Eaton), and Hakeem was no more than 6-10. And even an older Kareem looked taller than Sampson.