Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Disturbing stats (advanced) of Brandon Ingram.
    12th in VORP,
    10th +/-
    10th in TS%
    10th in overall and offensive win shares etc etc
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../LAL/2019.html
    Yes, it's just 10 games but they spent countless hours practicing, film rooms and whole preseason.
    He's involved in the very ugly fight=4 game suspension and the disturbing video where he threw his hands and gave up on the play because of frustration over Lebron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDFuLDYjcQ
    James will be here for 4 years, how long will Magic wait before he finds out it's not a good fit and when the rest of the league finds out, Ingrams worth will NOT be much.
    The next 10 games will be crucial IMO.

Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Disturbing stats (advanced) of Brandon Ingram.
    12th in VORP,
    10th +/-
    10th in TS%
    10th in overall and offensive win shares etc etc
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../LAL/2019.html
    Yes, it's just 10 games but they spent countless hours practicing, film rooms and whole preseason.
    He's involved in the very ugly fight=4 game suspension and the disturbing video where he threw his hands and gave up on the play because of frustration over Lebron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDFuLDYjcQ
    James will be here for 4 years, how long will Magic wait before he finds out it's not a good fit and when the rest of the league finds out, Ingrams worth will NOT be much.
    The next 10 games will be crucial IMO.
    Worries me too.. If Kuzma played better defense, Ingram would have been gone by now tbh. Kuzma worries me a bit too with his shot selection and defense but those are things you can work on and be coached on..

Ingram is different. All the talent in the world beyond anything Kuzma has but his head isn't there. Nobody can teach that or coach you on.. You can tell Ingram is trying hard out there but either ends up being too aggressive and costing us possessions OR falling asleep at the wheel and being a zombie.

I'm convinced one of Ingram or Kuzma have to go. We can't have both at a redundant position trying to work through their own set of issues. One of them is going to be moved, I'm almost certain.

Now I wonder if we should have just let Spurs take whoever they wanted for Kawhi.. I would have been like "Take Ingram or Kuzma. And whatever else you want." We may have been better off in the long-run. The way Raptors are playing now, they have potential for a Finals run. If they make finals, oh boy... I don't know where we go if that happens. Kawhi is who we were focused on. Klay is still possible ofc, but he is not an organization changing player that Kawhi is. I don't know..

Maybe if we start winning games, it still may be enough to draw Kawhi. Raptors surely can't keep this up forever. This is a crucial 7-week stretch to get some winning going until January hell-schedule hits for 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Worries me too.. If Kuzma played better defense, Ingram would have been gone by now tbh. Kuzma worries me a bit too with his shot selection and defense but those are things you can work on and be coached on..

Ingram is different. All the talent in the world beyond anything Kuzma has but his head isn't there. Nobody can teach that or coach you on.. You can tell Ingram is trying hard out there but either ends up being too aggressive and costing us possessions OR falling asleep at the wheel and being a zombie.

I'm convinced one of Ingram or Kuzma have to go. We can't have both at a redundant position trying to work through their own set of issues. One of them is going to be moved, I'm almost certain.

Now I wonder if we should have just let Spurs take whoever they wanted for Kawhi.. I would have been like "Take Ingram or Kuzma. And whatever else you want." We may have been better off in the long-run. The way Raptors are playing now, they have potential for a Finals run. If they make finals, oh boy... I don't know where we go if that happens. Kawhi is who we were focused on. Klay is still possible ofc, but he is not an organization changing player that Kawhi is. I don't know..

Maybe if we start winning games, it still may be enough to draw Kawhi. Raptors surely can't keep this up forever. This is a crucial 7-week stretch to get some winning going until January hell-schedule hits for 2 months.
    The Houston game where he yelled at the ref, shoved Harden and attacked CP3 was a huge concern for me. You think he's done and learned his lesson but that video where he turned around at the play, faced the bench and threw his hands was appalling.
    Magic confronting Luke with strategies etc are not helping esp going to the media before about how Ingram was "untouchable" etc.
    If Magic truly wants to help, he'll be meeting with Brandon, include James and Luke if needed and REALLY SORT THIS OUT.
    They showed some promise during the preseason games where I saw James feeding BI to his sweet spots....
    I always felt that Ingram will be the one who will have to adjust the most because of how he likes to dominate the ball.
    Everyone knows James will eventually decline, having a focused Brandon will really help.
    I really don't care about Kawhi right now esp after hearing the reports that he's not really a fan of the Lakers growing up. It's beyond their control.
    Klay is not alpha but I like the idea of just not acquiring a legit shooter/defender but also the concept of taking him AWAY from your arch rivals.

NBA All-star

the reality that Magic won't face, is that even those show time Lakers, demonstrated characteristics of a John Wooden team because of Kareem Abdul-Jabar

with those discipline, you take the player that can dribble and shoot because he had already mastered how to catch and shoot

Chandler is a perfect fit.. He brings defense and rebounding. McGee brings blocking and scoring on offense. Both are experienced vets too.

I would also like the Lakers to try:
    McGee or Chandler
    LeBron
    Kuzma
    Ingram
    Hart

in crunch minutes. That has potential against certain teams.. I feel like Hart needs to be playing more minutes, especially in crunch time. He is ice cold and needs to be out there last 6 minutes of 4th quarters imo.. Let LeBron or Ingram run the point. If Ingram is a zombie that day like he often is then sit him down on the bench and insert Lonzo for defense.

Chandler is a perfect fit.. He brings defense and rebounding. McGee brings blocking and scoring on offense. Both are experienced vets too.

I would also like the Lakers to try:
    McGee or Chandler
    LeBron
    Kuzma
    Ingram
    Hart

in crunch minutes. That has potential against certain teams.. I feel like Hart needs to be playing more minutes, especially in crunch time. He is ice cold and needs to be out there last 6 minutes of 4th quarters imo.. Let LeBron or Ingram run the point. If Ingram is a zombie that day like he often is then sit him down on the bench and insert Lonzo for defense.
    I see your point. Hart is my favorite player but if you watched carefully the last 6 minutes vs TWolves, Rondo made some solid decisions out there.
    Ran and then set up Ingram for a 3pt shot.
    Set a screen for Kuzma leading to a dunk.
    spotted Kuz for another 3. Yes there are times that he gambles too much.
    I am not opposed to Bron taking point, it's a matter of creating great set plays and executing them.

I see your point. Hart is my favorite player but if you watched carefully the last 6 minutes vs TWolves, Rondo made some solid decisions out there.
    Ran and then set up Ingram for a 3pt shot.
    Set a screen for Kuzma leading to a dunk.
    spotted Kuz for another 3. Yes there are times that he gambles too much.
    I am not opposed to Bron taking point, it's a matter of creating great set plays and executing them.
    Hart is clutch and plays smart down the stretch. He doesn't choke like LeBron or chuck up extremely low-percentage shots like Kuzma. We don't have players like Hart tbh with his strengths..

I think he has to be out there even if you have to take out Kuzma or Ingram. I always want Chandler-LeBron-Hart trifecta out there (or McGee). The other 2 players can vary by game and how they are performing that night. In certain situations you can also take out Chandler (or McGee) and free up 3 slots. Add players from there depending on situation.

^ This hurts us imo. We don't have automatic-starters in crunch minutes beyond LeBron and Hart (maybe Chandler who rarely makes boneheaded mistakes ala McGee lol).. We lack a Butler or Kyrie or Kobe or Rose or Klay or Kawhi.. Those players are ice-cold players you want in crunch time. We only have Hart and LeBron's sheer impact makes him crucial to put out there even if he chokes. I hope we can have a 3rd guy next season to add to that.. I also think Kuzma will become that guy very soon as the 4th clutch guy.
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.

NBA All-star

The Laker's problem isn't their offense, but having a roster that has length and athleticism at each position, they may be able to try something unconventional, such as actually going after the ball on the defensive end

Extremely ugly game vs Atlanta. We didn't deserve to win that game.. I don't like games where we do everything wrong in last 6-8mins and affirming everything we did wrong.

We missed crucial freethrows as usual, had too many turnovers costing us possessions left and right, and forced shots.. LeBron again forcing 3s. I wish he would drive into paint or if he couldn't then pass the rock. Let the play establish - there is a reason you are given 24 seconds per possession. Don't waste it.. I can't understand this... We just stand around, jacking up 3s on heavy coverage. I know Luke can't tell LeBron what to do because LeBron is basically Luke's boss, but this is madness... This is unsustainable.

Chandler saved us, saved LeBron.. We didn't deserve that win.

Lakers also tried lineup in clutch of:
    McGee or Chandler
    LeBron
    Kuzma
    Ingram
    Hart

Looked okay. Not bad but ball became too stagnant in LeBron's hands, and the players keep putting the ball in his hands to make stuff happen. I think this is a confidence issue. Nothing else.. I don't know how you overcome that. It's all mental..

I also hope Lakers don't go after Melo. If they do, I'm going to lose my mind. I do not want to see Melo in purple and gold. Please no.. Stay away from Melo.. He has been horrendous every time I watched him play. He plays horrendous defense, and I don't want to see him take minutes from Kuz or anyone.. OKC were better without Melo than with him. Same with Houston. Same with Knicks towards the end. His ego is greater than his game at this point. We can't sacrifice defense for this guy. Melo is done..

Extremely ugly game vs Atlanta. We didn't deserve to win that game.. I don't like games where we do everything wrong in last 6-8mins and affirming everything we did wrong.

We missed crucial freethrows as usual, had too many turnovers costing us possessions left and right, and forced shots.. LeBron again forcing 3s. I wish he would drive into paint or if he couldn't then pass the rock. Let the play establish - there is a reason you are given 24 seconds per possession. Don't waste it.. I can't understand this... We just stand around, jacking up 3s on heavy coverage. I know Luke can't tell LeBron what to do because LeBron is basically Luke's boss, but this is madness... This is unsustainable.

Chandler saved us, saved LeBron.. We didn't deserve that win.

Lakers also tried lineup in clutch of:
    McGee or Chandler
    LeBron
    Kuzma
    Ingram
    Hart

Looked okay. Not bad but ball became too stagnant in LeBron's hands, and the players keep putting the ball in his hands to make stuff happen. I think this is a confidence issue. Nothing else.. I don't know how you overcome that. It's all mental..

I also hope Lakers don't go after Melo. If they do, I'm going to lose my mind. I do not want to see Melo in purple and gold. Please no.. Stay away from Melo.. He has been horrendous every time I watched him play. He plays horrendous defense, and I don't want to see him take minutes from Kuz or anyone.. OKC were better without Melo than with him. Same with Houston. Same with Knicks towards the end. His ego is greater than his game at this point. We can't sacrifice defense for this guy. Melo is done..
    Chandler might have saved Luke's job for now. That is my main concern recently with Magic unfairly putting so much blame on Luke.
    Yes the late offensive execution is very ugly but I am not sure who is totally to blame for that, certainly not the FT shooting and 3pt shooting, not having back up center before etc.
    Ingram refusing to go to the bench at start of games is also not helping because it's affecting Josh Hart's minutes. It also doesn't help when Luke is still trying to play KCP. Last 3 games, Josh has only played under 23 mins. too low for the team's top 3 most efficient players IMO.

Chandler might have saved Luke's job for now. That is my main concern recently with Magic unfairly putting so much blame on Luke.
    Yes the late offensive execution is very ugly but I am not sure who is totally to blame for that, certainly not the FT shooting and 3pt shooting, not having back up center before etc.
    Ingram refusing to go to the bench at start of games is also not helping because it's affecting Josh Hart's minutes. It also doesn't help when Luke is still trying to play KCP. Last 3 games, Josh has only played under 23 mins. too low for the team's top 3 most efficient players IMO.
    I honestly believe Ingram is on his way out the door to a rebuilding team where he can get 15 shots a game and run the offense. His time is LA is coming to an end, maybe over the summer unless a big deal comes through earlier.

I honestly believe Ingram is on his way out the door to a rebuilding team where he can get 15 shots a game and run the offense. His time is LA is coming to an end, maybe over the summer unless a big deal comes through earlier.
    The most important question is who do the Lakers get in return? You can't simply just move him for any decent player.
    I really like Booker but getting him means they will not be able to acquire the superstar agent they badly want next summer because of his enormous contract.
    That player they want should have a rookie contract and at the same time be good enough to help this team. I can't think of that player fitting that description.

The most important question is who do the Lakers get in return? You can't simply just move him for any decent player.
    I really like Booker but getting him means they will not be able to acquire the superstar agent they badly want next summer because of his enormous contract.
    That player they want should have a rookie contract and at the same time be good enough to help this team. I can't think of that player fitting that description.
    Someone long-term. I would say a 2 or 3.. Kuzma is best in 6th man role imo. Hart I'm not sure yet if he can be a viable long-term starter for us at the 2.

I expect us to sign an elite 2 or 3 so whoever we trade for would have to be a complementary piece to who we sign. That's why they might wait until the summer. No point in doing a midseason trade without knowing who wants to come to Lakers in summer.

I also wouldn't mind going after an elite big like Anthony Davis, but I don't know if AD is on the market. Maybe if they miss playoffs by a big margin.. AD trade would mean we probably lose either Kuzma or Hart or both along with Ingram so.. it could be interesting to watch what Magic/Pelinka decides.

Jarrett Jack hinted at KD signing with Lakers then Lakers trading for AD.. https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news...is-teaming-up/
    That would be nuts if it went down.. Lakers have plenty of salary to make it work too lol
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-16-2018 at 06:50 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I still think Scott Machado and Andre Ingram should have our two two-way contracts. And, when Carmelo becomes available, I'm hoping we will waive or trade Zubac to free up a roster spot to bring in Carmelo.

Maybe he can play some small ball 5 for us.

Home of the 16

What worries me about Kuzma is that the more he makes shots (whether it be wide open shots or contested shots), the more he continues to take bad shots for the hell of it or heat check purposes. It was fun to watch during his rookie year because for a solid month & a half — he shot really well. But it's just getting old & frustrating to watch now especially when his shots aren't falling. He gets really streaky, & I'm not sure if that's how we imagined Kuz to be - just another streaky shooter.