Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Your boy needs some advice.

Run down:

Halfway finished with college, basically been coasting through this point. Got all of my general education courses done. Problem is I have no idea what I want to major in. Have my college paid for because of elite testing scores and shit, but if I just dropout, pretty sure I have to pay for my tuition, SO...

What should I major in? I'd prefer something easy to finish college out, something flexible in regards to works for various job fields, and perhaps something I'd work lower hours in?

Considering a bunch of shit right now:
    Sports Management (this is relative to my interests)
    Communication (seems to be easy and apply to many job fields)
    Music Composition (learned piano and guitar at a young age so shit comes easy to me)

Only thing is, I don't suck at math, but really hate doing that shit, so any engineering shit would be a no go.

Any advice out there?

Default Re: Your boy needs some advice.

Drop out. Move to Colorado, get an easy job at Culvers's or Wendy's or something. Smoke bud in the mountains every day.

Communication is one of the biggest cop outs I've seen as far as higher learning goes. It's about as relevant as an arts degree really.
    I'd stray away from something like management of any sort, including business too.
    As much as you hate engineering, it is something to push for IMO. Economics, Engineering or Law would be a decent pathway to follow IMO.

If you're looking for a degree that will pave many pathways for you, do Economics, not Communications like you suggested. It is a far more respected and well looked upon degree.
    If you're up for it, go for Engineering though. It is a lot of work though.

Talking Re: Your boy needs some advice.

I think you'd be great in Sports Management. I've noticed that you're pretty intelligent when you make long posts that argue about something.

This job pays really well. Depending on the level of your education, you can get payed up to $100,000+ every year.

Banned

Sports Management is a worthless degree and highly competitive. Look how many sports team are in this world with very few jobs. Do you think a guy like Phil Jackson or Mitch Kupchak got a sports management degree? Nope. They get these position based on their past career and connections.

If you are going to handle the business aspect of a sports franchis? You are better off getting a degree in accounting and getting your CPA license. That will land you a front office of a sports team more than a guy with a sports management guy. Essentially you are dealing with numbers and figures.

If this sports management degree is geared towards representation, such as being an agent. It is highly competitive and you almost have to really recruit high school and college student. A lot of shady dealings that go around. It is a crap degree because most agents have some sort of law degree. Contractual law to be exact.

I have seen the curriculum with Sports Management and it doesn't teach you anything beneficial outside of sports. At least with a legitimate business degree such as Finance or Accounting you have a better position to be CFO of a company.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 03-28-2014 at 03:11 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Sports Management is a worthless degree and highly competitive. Look how many sports team are in this world with very few jobs. Do you think a guy like Phil Jackson or Mitch Kupchak got a sports management degree? Nope. They get these position based on their past career and connections.

If you are going to handle the business aspect of a sports franchis? You are better off getting a degree in accounting and getting your CPA license. That will land you a front office of a sports team more than a guy with a sports management guy. Essentially you are dealing with numbers and figures.

If this sports management degree is geared towards representation, such as being an agent. It is highly competitive and you almost have to really recruit high school and college student. A lot of shady dealings that go around. It is a crap degree because most agents have some sort of law degree. Contractual law to be exact.

I have seen the curriculum with Sports Management and it doesn't teach you anything beneficial outside of sports. At least with a legitimate business degree such as Finance or Accounting you have a better position to be CFO of a company.
    Damn, that seems spot on about a sports management major. Only chance in hell at getting an NBA job IMO would be like being good enough and working your way up until you are 50, or getting a management internship somewhere (Rockets do this for example) and being badass enough to stick around (this is how OKC GM Sam Presti got hired with the Spurs). Odds of either happening are so small though.

Might cross that one off the list.
    Last edited by russwest0; 03-28-2014 at 05:00 AM.

If you're trying to be employable, those are three of the worst degrees you could possibly have.

Music composition sounds like it could be fun, though.

I can tell you one thing, both of my parents and some relatives work in the Medical Sales industry.

They hire people as long as you have a 4-year diploma. Could be in anything, History, Sports Management, Math, etc.

Can't speak for any other businesses but I'm assuming they are the same way.

Pick something that is interesting to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    I can tell you one thing, both of my parents and some relatives work in the Medical Sales industry.

They hire people as long as you have a 4-year diploma. Could be in anything, History, Sports Management, Math, etc.

http://www.naturalnews.com/044463_Bi...ed_drugs.html#

no wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy

Medical sales, not Pharmaceutical sales.

But yes, pharmaceutical companies are evil.

Banned

The real reason why employers are looking for someone with a degree because if you can commit yourself to a 4-year institution and follow rules then you can follow their rules. It is like the prison system, you get institutionalized so they can boss us sheeps around.

At least that is how I see it.

To be honest, anyone can be an entrepreneur with hard work and luck. You don't need an institution to tell you that. While being institutionalized, don't lose your soul to the system.

those are pretty shitty majors

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    those are pretty shitty majors
    still better than being locked up for pedophilia

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Sports Management (this is relative to my interests)
    Communication (seems to be easy and apply to many job fields)
    Music Composition (learned piano and guitar at a young age so shit comes easy to me)?
    You need to think about what you actually do with each of these degrees.

What would you do with a Music Composition degree? Teach? You have to consider if you would like teaching. Becoming a professional musician is insanely competitive. Sports Management is probably competitive too.

If you chose Communication, I would combine it with a minor or a double major in another discipline.

Any interesting in coding? Lots of computer jobs out there. Any young person who has the brains and doesn't have any other compelling interests should consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong

Are they hiring Sales People? Sales is really about personality, more than a specific skill set. So they know what they are hiring for, but it's not predicted by your degree.